Thread: Partitioning in WinME

drift

Question Partitioning in WinME

I just got a new computer with WinME pre-installed. It has a 45 gig hard drive all on one partition. I want to split it up into four partitions but ME does not seem to want to cooperate. I have tried Partition Magic 5 but it doesn't work either from within windows or from the bootable floppies that it creates. Can someone please help me out with this.

Oh by the way, because of all the supurflous crap that comes on a new computer I was planning to reformat and do a clean install of WinME so if formatting and partioning are in the same process that would be fine too.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

ssjDoh

OK, if you format follow these instructions:
    enter DOS prompt via boot disk.
    Enable support for large disk sizes (very first question they ask)
    Delete your primary partition
    Create a primary partition. Do not use 100%of your drive here.
    Make that drive your 'active drive'
    Create a secondary/logical drive. use the remaing space here. It will ask you to enter sizes off all the partitions you want until you're out of space.
    If you screw up somewhere, just repeat these step (but do not leave fdisk)
    When you're satisfied with your drive layout, exit fdisk and reboot (boot disk still in)
    in DOS prompt, forcat all the drives you made (ie. "format c: /u")
    After all your drives are done, Install Win ME.

and then your done!!

Zporttech

Partition Magic is working fine with ME on my machine. I`m running ME and 2000 Pro. What exactly is it doing? (erros,freezes,etc.)

drift

Partition Magic is working fine within windows but after I have finished setting all the partitions the way I want them and try to apply them it says it is going to restart windows to apply the changes. When it tries to restart it goes to a blank screen and doesn't do anything more. It never restarts.

Prey521

In order to use PM 5 correctly you need the Real Mode DOS Patch that will allow PM 5 to execute the DOS commands so that it can finish creating the partitions.

Get It Here

drift

Prey, thanks for the help so far. I have installed the patch and copied the files back to the original directories but the instructions say that I then need to add lines to a couple files. I am not sure how to do this, could you help?

Thanks

Prey521

Open up those two files with Notepad and you will be able to edit them according to the instructions. Just right click on the files and select "Open With". Then just select "Notepad" from the following menu.

ssjDoh

Boo, you made me write out all the steps to partition your drive with a format, and now you're just ganna use PW. hehe j/k

Zporttech

Good job Prey! And ssjDoh don`t think your time was wasted I saved your information !!!!!!!!!

------------------
    Steve
    www.zport.com

drift

Smile

ssjDoh, Thanks for the help, it worked perfectly. I wasn't able to go the easy way that prey suggested (thanks anyway prey). So thank you all for your help, I appreciate it very much.

ssjDoh

hehe Prey, he used my help instead of yours... LOL

j/k!!

Prey521

Cool

Aight DOH, you got me this time, but my way is easier. You Canadians, always doin things the hard way , JK.

ssjDoh

LOL, but my way (the Canadian way) works!!

hehe, if you're way is soooo easy, then how caome he couldn't do it??

j/k with ya Prey!!