Thread: If you have VISTA, this is it!!!!!!

Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves

If you have VISTA, this is it!!!!!!

Heres a link to the software forum, you seem to have trouble finding it on your own:

http://forums.speedguide.net/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves
    Get dat post count up, thats all you do

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Get dat post count up, thats all you do
    I try and help out too, but posting tech stuff in the wrong forums makes it harder to accurately refine searches and find the info.

First off if you are going to try and tweak VISTA make a backup first, I have been using ERUNT for 4 years without a problem, and it's free. Works on VISTA if you do the below first, does not unless you do, as I tried, man did I tighten up, but alais it worked, but I must tell you how first, for XP users its works fine as is, for VISTA users users I did this first,
    as you install VISTA it gives you admin account but not a full one, I did this:
    Log in using the account you created during the Windows Vista setup process.
    From the Start menu, click All Programs and then expand Accessories.
    Right click on “Command Prompt” and click “Run as Administrator”.
    Click on “Allow” from the Windows Security dialog.
    In the Command Prompt window, type “regedit” (without the quotes) and press Enter.
    In the Registry Editor, browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    Add a new key called “SpecialAccounts” (without the quotes).
    In the “SpecialAccounts” key you just made, create a sub-key called “UserList” (without the quotes)
    Make sure you are navigated to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
    In the “UserList” key, create a new DWORD (32-bit) item and name it Administrator.
    Double click on the new DWORD item and set its value to 1.
    Close Registry Editor and the Command Prompt.

Now you are the real boss, I did this too" I did it in control panel, this must be done for ERUNT to work.
    It is possible to switch UAC off. if you like full control over your machine, surely you want to know when something is attempting to perform an administrative-level action? Nevertheless, I'd prefer to have you run Windows Vista without UAC than having you run a different operating system.

There are two ways to disable UAC. The easy solution is through Control Panel. Type "UAC" into the search bar at the top of the screen and you'll see this task presented:

This approach is pretty brute-force, though. It just switches the whole thing off. There's a more subtle configuration choice that gives you some of the benefits of UAC without any of the prompting. You'll need to edit the local security policy to control this, as follows:
    From the Start search bar, type "Local Security Policy"
    Accept the elevation prompt
    From the snap-in, select Security Settings -> Local Policy -> Security Options
    Scroll down to the bottom, where you'll find nine different group policy settings for granular configuration of UAC.

Perhaps the best choice to select is to change the setting:
    User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode
    from Prompt for consent to Elevate without prompting.

What does this do? Despite the warning from the Windows Security Center, UAC isn't actually switched off. It's still there, and all your processes will still run as a standard user. To prove this, open a command prompt and try to save a file to the c:\ directory. You'll get an access denied error message. However, when a process is marked for elevation, instead of getting the secure desktop elevation prompt, the request will be silently approved. To show this in action, right click on a command prompt shortcut and choose "Run as Administrator". You'll see the command prompt open without elevation, but the window title will show that you're running with full administrative privileges.

Using this approach is better than nothing, but it's a bit like relying on everyone else having a vaccination against measles to protect yourself from infection. Read the explanations on the second page of the property sheet for each policy setting before tinkering, and be careful!

It is possible to switch UAC off. I really don't recommend it - if you like full control over your machine, surely you want to know when something is attempting to perform an administrative-level action? Nevertheless, I'd prefer to have you run Windows Vista without UAC than having you run a different operating system.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt

This will not work unless you do exactly what I told you.
    Also Pressing F8 on bootup works fine, now sfc /scannow is alittle different than XP, remember I did all the above first so I don't know if you have to do it or not

Click on start button, programs, accessories, down to command prompt, whoa, RIGHT click on it and select (LEFT CLICK)run as administrator, type sfc /scannow (Space between c and /. Put VISTA CD in CD ROM and press enter,
    will put all criticial files back on puter, sorry if this is wrong forum, but were getting killed in Iraq, the borders are wide open, well I could go on and on, so which forum, maybe I'm wrong, but if this helps 1 person, great.

Turning UAC off can be bad, for some installs it needs to be on for them to install, then it can be disabled again.

Adobe is an example of this.

I did not have problem installing Adobe 8 with UAC off, but if you do turn it back on, install Adobe, then turn UAC back off for ERUNT to auto backup your puter everyday, It makes a copy at 1st reboot of the day so you might wait till late in day to reboot, or you can go to WINDOWS/ERUNT/auto backup delete the days backup if you just installed new program and reboot again, it makes another backup.