Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toasted registry!!! I'm pretty scared about this one

Ok, thanks a lot.

I'm going to bed now, but I'll try it tomorrow. -el bob

try agian in the moring!!!! u mean i sept 40 min read this tread and now your going to leave my hanging??

p.s.sorry to cultter up your tread
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

I do hope you'll let us know how this all works/worked out?
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Cool

Ok, let the words roll...

I'm a student and I needed that computer up and runing for writing papers, researching, etc. so I decided to test the RAM by just installing the operating system with different RAM configurations.

If you remember back to my first post, I had two pc100 128mb dimms in my computer. The computer is a Dell prefab and I added in a hard drive and 128mb pc100 RAM to the original 128mb pc100 RAM for a total 256mb. I went with (I think it was) Norm's advice to use the slot closest to the processor. There was already a dimm there, so I left it, and pulled out the one next to it. I then booted up with the floppy and started up the win98 installation with the CD. I didn't have any problems so I assume that the dimm that I took out was the problem.

The dimm that I took out was made by NEC. I had purchased this RAM a while ago before I knew much about computer hardware(ie: installing a hard drive was a divine task), so I didn't know better from worse in terms of RAM.

NEC JAPAN
    D4564841G5
    -A80-9JF
    0003LY009

That code is repeated on each of the 16 memory chips on the DIMM.

I plan on replacing the chip with Micron RAM from Crucial, but I'm not sure if I'll just get one new chip of pc100 Micron RAM, or if I'll get 2 dimms of 128mb pc133 ram and take out my existing 128mb pc100. This way, I'll be on the safe side when I overclock my machine this summer.

However, I only plan to get to a 115-125MHz FSB so I'm not sure if I need the pc133 RAM?

What do you guys think? Thanks so much. I really appreciate all that you guys have advised me on.

-el bob

Hmmmm, it is very weird. The two dimms of RAM worked simultaneously for a year or so, and then last week, it seems that the dimm that was addes in took a turn for the worst.

I can't really think about what would make it stop working like that. I would think that the RAM is compatible because for a long time it worked fine.

Could low quality RAM be the cause of this?

Since I've started with computer hardware, I havn't heard much about NEC RAM.

Also, I'm not aware of the warranty staus for this RAM, but do you think that I might have a shot at a replacement?

If I do get the pc133 RAM, I plan two get two 128mb dimms, I would think this would be cheaper. Is it?

What manufacturer do you recommend? I was thinking Micron, but it's always helpful to get other recommendations.

Thanks. -el bob

There is no, one good way to answer.
    I've seen RAM do some strange things, and yes it's possible that it went bad already.

I have Kingston Technologies OEM Ram in this computer. They offer a Lifetime Warranty. I don't know how others feel about it.

Price wise, it's ever fluctuating. I'd say get it while it's as cheap as it is, but then again, tomorrow it may be even cheaper or vice versa.

I'd check with your computer manufactures tech support page or whatever and see just what is compatible in your computer and go from there.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Ok, I think it's time to close up this thread here in the software forum.

I just want to get the names of the guys who helped me out so I can keep my word as it was in my second post.

Norm (THE MAN!!!)
    VonJames
    blebs99

You three seem to be the ones that help the most. I really appreciate you helping me out. I'm going to try and find an appropriate way to thank you.

-el bob

ps A follow-up thread will be posted in the hardware&oc'ing forum (my hometown)