Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toasted registry!!! I'm pretty scared about this one

Exclamation Toasted registry!!! I'm pretty scared about this one

Just yesterday I ran into some real trouble with my windows software on my OWN COMPUTER!!!! (this is scaring me mucho)

(Originally Dell Dimension Prefab - 128mb RAM and 30gb HDD added)
    Pentium III 500E
    440BX mobo
    256mb pc100 RAM running cas2
    13gb ATA/66 (w/ Windows 98se and some files)
    30(27.8)gb ATA/66 (files)
    DVD
    Sony CD-RW 32x/4x/2x
    FDD

It seems that somehow, someway my windows registry has been affected and now windows won't run. Most of the time, when I power on my computer, it goes to Scandisk after an unsafe shut down, then displays the windows boot logo, and then, instead of going to the network logon screen, it goes to a screen similiar to the scandisk one and eventually says that it has replaced my registry with a "good" one. Obviously, the "good" registry wasn't and still isn't good or else I wouldn't be here.

I have not tweaked Windows except for Cable Modem optimization patches. I am a massive ftp downloader, but I would think that I would of noticed the problems after a download. I'm not really sure where this one came from. List of possibilities:

-downloaded a couple of albums of mp3's and about 2 small apps about 5 days ago(wouldn't think so)
    -my mom accessed a file on a floppy from her computer on my computer
    ++ her computer (an HP) had serious windows problems (never mentioned registry)...got really messed up, eventually wouldn't even boot to safe mode (it's being swapped out by HP)

I would like to think that the file from the floppy caused my computer to do this and that it wasn't the ftp downloading. But I'm not sure.

Either way, I would like to restore my registry. format c: is an option, but not after I rescue some files off c:. I would think that I could use a boot disk to get into DOS and grab some of my files. I am pretty familiar with DOS and the commands necessary to locate the files and move them.

I have already tried booting into Safe Mode with Network support to try and transfer the files over my network onto anotehr comp. The computer booted relatively normally, and once I logged onto the network and the Desktop loaded, I got a "Windows error. Cannot run." error and it eventually froze and I shut it off.

I have a lot of my files on drive D:, so I shouldn't lose all of them if I have to format C:. However, will this problem remain if I only format c:? (this is not my number one choice)

And no, I didn't follow Norton's instructions to make a rescue disk (won't do that again)

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to clearly present the situation. Thank for any help. I do appreciate it.

-el bob

ps While I was running into some regular BSOD's, I even ran into a Black screen of death
    What's the most expensive purchase you've made on your miles/reward credit card? Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card Application

I just noticed the size of this post and just want to say that anyone who can help me out on this problem, will have honorable mention on my site in the writeup for this.

Thanks again. -el bob

If you are running Winn 98, start pc and hit the f8 key just before it says "starting windows 98". You should get the list of options, and choose "command prompt only".

At the command prompt, type (without the quotes) "scanreg /restore" (there is a space between the scanreg and the / ), you should get a choice of backed up registies to choose from. Choose one that has a date that is before you started having problems. Then choose restore.
    Good luck!

Also consider that you may have a virus.

Ok, thanks for the info Norm.

I was trying your first solution and ran into some problems. I've heard of scanreg /restore before so I believe that it does work, however it did not for me.

I put in my Win98 boot disk and eventually got to a DOS prompt. It started off at A:, I then switched to C: to see if my files were still there(which they were ). From the C:\> prompt, I typed:

scanreg /restore

And the following line was:

Bad command or file name

I also tried running the scanreg command in c:/windows and in c:/windows/system with no luck.

I think I'm going to go try running it off A:/. Thanks. -el bob

Oops, I had scrolled over VonJames's post when I was looking for replies. Thank's for the post.

Anyway, I tried running it from the a: prompt with no luck.

What's going on? Thanks. -el bob

El bob, when you bootup your pc, there's a certain place where you see "starting win 98". Just anticipate just before that pops up, then press and hold the F8 key, hold it until you hear your computer beeping madly at you. , Then release and that should give you the menu.

You don't want to be working from the A: prompt. C:\ < is what you want.

Then type: C:\scanreg /restore

Don't use a boot disk for this.

[ 05-09-2001: Message edited by: VonJames ]

Talking

LOL Norm !

don't go from boot disk, use Von's method and it should work

Ok, thanks guys. I pressed the F8 key and went into Command Prompt Only. It all worked fine.

I chose the 5/4/01 registry backup and loaded it. There only seemed to be 4 entries in the list. Maybe I don't know how to access older ones?

I restarted the computer and all went well until after I logged onto the Network and as the Desktop was loading, I got repetitive simple error screens:

Windows has performed an illegal operation...
    (I think that was the wording)

About 5 or 6 of those errors popped up and then the screen just stayed blank with the mouse still intact.

I'm going to go try and see if there were any more registry entries in the list, but if there isn't, then the scanreg /restore option isn't going to work.

What now? Thanks. -el bob

Question

Ok, I was trying out Norm's second suggestion. I didn't find a system.dat file in c:/windows, maybe this is my problem?

Also, I tried moving system.1st from c: to c:/windows and it says that:

Cannot move SYSTEM.1ST - Permission Denied

-el bob

Exclamation

Ok, the reason that permission was denied as I have just found out, is because system.1st does not exist in C:.

Well, that wipes out Norm's solution number two it seems.

It seems like I got hit by a virus, but I really don't know. Just seems kind of weird that it would delete both system.dat adn system.1st.

Any ideas?

Thumbs up

I'll have to remember that "system.1st" Norm.

I heard about it before, some time ago but forgot it.
    Thanks for the reminder!

Ok, I did what you said.

I restarted and then got this:

While intializing device CONFIGMG:
    Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer.

I get this every time the computer starts.

??? -el bob

Wait, I didn't see the page two stuff.

What I did was the last instruction from Norm on page 1.

Ah crap! Well, that stinks. Why would the RAM just die out like that? It's been working fine for at least a year.

Could I try installing win98 over the existing copy? Or does win98 setup require a format?

I thought I had remember people in the tweaking section just installing their OS over their existing one when they ran into trouble.

Is this possible? Thanks. -el bob

I don't think I'm going to be so lucky.

I think I renamed system.dat to system.elb after I had renamed moved/renamed system.1st to system.dat. I was just trying to get things to work.

I'm not positive if I did, but I'm not going to feel too bad about it either way, I just want it to work.

Thanks. -el bob

You could try to install over the install, but I truly think your better off just fdisk, and format, then reload windows. Clean installs will be the best route, however, if the RAM is the problem, not even doing this is going to help you any. I'm afraid to say that it looks like your going to lose your files.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Lord Norm, your fast today!
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

This is something I use generally when I'm switching a motherboard or some of my hardware configuration gets really whacked.

Go start > run > regedit > Hkey_local_machine, then delete the "Enum" folder.
    It's like removing everything from your device mgr.

When you reboot, you have forced windows to redetect everything hardware.
    It can usually set things right. There's no worry about your drivers because they're still there.

When windows asks for drivers, just keep pointing it to one of several folders, ie: c:\windows\inf
    c:\windows\inf\other
    c:\windows
    c:\windows\system
    etc... or to anyfolder you have third party drivers unzipped to.

If you boot up and windows doesn't detect anything, then open the control panel and go to "add new hardware" and let the wizard detect your hardware, then tell it to install everything it found.

This works like a champ. I can't say 100% of the time, but darn close.

El bob, can you get into windows with safe mode ?

[ 05-09-2001: Message edited by: VonJames ]

Norm, rant or rave, or whatever you call it, I humbly accept it.

I appreciate everything you've done for me, and especially in this small time frame that we worked in soo far. I will do my best to remember what you've taught so far, but just like you said too, I'm only human.

Well, as long as I can get into a command prompt, I should be able to move my files on c: over to d: and then I'll reinstall win98 on c: after I format it.

Also, about the static discharge. Whenever I turn my PC on, I hear a loud POP! from my speakers, could this be something similar?

I'm going to go and check out the dust situation in there in a couple of minutes.

Thanks. -el bob