Thread: Windows Vista Tweaks / TCP Optimizer

Windows Vista Tweaks / TCP Optimizer

Is someone working on some tweaks for Vista and possibly a TCP Optimizer update? Could someone maybe sticky this and people could post tweaks for Windows Vista here. Thanks
    ----
    VISIT MY WEBSITE
    THE GAMERLIFE BLOG
    ---
    OS - Windows Vista Ultimate
    ISP - Comcast
    Connection Speed - 8000 Down / 768 Up
    Router - Linksys WRT54G with Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c
    Modem - Terayon Modem

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    I'm not sure if Phillip is doing any work for the optimizer if he needs to ,or not i might pm him and ask though. I'm assuming that most of the tweaks for xp would work for vista as far as tcpip goes. I"m not too sure if ms has made white papers up for vista yet since it's still new.

Comptia a+ n+

Blog Entries
    Vista is similar to XP, yet it has some improvements, supposedly self-tunning TCP Window, which would make it much better suited for broadband internet connections by default.

I haven't had a chance to research it well and come up with reliable tweaks for it yet, when we have a more solid understanding we will post some information and update the Optimizer. It is still a bit early in the game to know for sure what works well.

If anyone has information, tweaks, ideas or specific questions I'm sure interested in discussing its TCP/IP stack as well.

Dartmith

Vista Does Not Need A Tcp Optimizer

I just installed Windows Vista on a computer with Comcast Speed Tier (8-16 Mbps). It would appear that the statement that 'the speed settings are automatically adjusted by windows vista' is true.

Explanation: A brand new computer running a fresh installation of Windows XP will only get 2.0 Mbps on my connection (II always use www.speakeasy.net/speedtest). As soon as TCP Optimizer is run, the computer always gets over 10 Mbps on speak easy's test. With these settings, From apple.com a 100 Mb files downloads in slightly under 1 minute (1.75 Mb/s, or close to 16 Mbps)

Now, in comparison... with windows vista the first time I ran the test I got around 7 Mbps from speakeasy, BUT was still able to download a file from apple.com at 1.75 Mb/s! I tried running the TCP Optimizer, but I still get right around 7 Mbps on the speed test, and it will not go faster no matter how many tries I make with the TCP Optimizer.. it has no effect (speedtest runs slow, but actual downloads are as fast or slightly faster than I could achieve with windows XP), windows vista automatically readjusts the settings. It is nice, however, because the browsing experience is noticeably faster than windows xp when surfing the web. This is probably due to constant adjustments made by Windows Vista to connection settings. SO: With Vista, downloads begin sooner, accelerate to max speed faster, and simple browsing has less latency... all good!

Microsoft has done a good job with Vista, and no TCP Optimizer is needed.

I beg to differ, some way of adjusting the TCP/IP stack manually is most certainly needed, especially when using wireless NICs. Over LAN, Vista is fine and I get my normal 1.75MBytes/s (Bulldog 16meg) but over Wi-Fi, I struggle to get 1.1MBytes/s when connected to Usenet and struggle to get more than 200KB/s for normal web browsing. I never had those problems with TCPOptimizer-tuned XP.

BTW: Further info on the Vista TCP/IP stack can be found HERE.

and info on how to configure the receive window auto-tuning can be found HERE.
    Last edited by nedge2k; 02-14-07 at 11:00 AM.

I'm using this http://www.download.com/Vista-Manage...-10634694.html

it works pretty good and allowed me to change some of the TCP/IP stack along with many features like TuneXP offered to Xp.

TCP Optimizer works great on vista , before the install i got 8m after I now get up 20!

@rush

I don't see how that is possible. TCPOptimizer writes registry values that Vista ignores. What exactly did you do to get it up to 20meg?

@Sava700

Thanks, that seems to have done something, although it will only let me set the receive window to a max. of 256960, whereas for 16meg it needs to be 1027840 (according to TCPOptimizer anyway).

EDIT: Actually, i think that Vista Manager is doing the same (or similar) as TCPOptimizer. So the slight speed increase is prolly just a fluke. There must be a way to "force open" the Vista receive window? I don't want my laptop to have to be permanently plugged into ethernet to get high speeds
    Last edited by nedge2k; 02-15-07 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nedge2k View Post
    @rush

I don't see how that is possible. TCPOptimizer writes registry values that Vista ignores. What exactly did you do to get it up to 20meg?

@Sava700

Thanks, that seems to have done something, although it will only let me set the receive window to a max. of 256960, whereas for 16meg it needs to be 1027840 (according to TCPOptimizer anyway).

EDIT: Actually, i think that Vista Manager is doing the same (or similar) as TCPOptimizer. So the slight speed increase is prolly just a fluke. There must be a way to "force open" the Vista receive window? I don't want my laptop to have to be permanently plugged into ethernet to get high speeds

SP1 might do some adjustments...

[QUOTE=nedge2k;1994390]@rush

QUOTE]

the computer is new, I downloaded all the updates. Running vista basic,

with tcp set to 10 , disabled all the stupid crap in vista, purchased some good cables, a gig more of mem and a gig of flash. I do not have cable tv service just the net.

I did no tweaking on my own, I posted my results in another section on this forum, my dl is great my ul sucks ass.

heres another test

Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    heres another test

Do a tracert to www.yahoo.com and post.

Ryabov

Vista TCp/Ip tweaks

Actually there is a workaround where you can use tcp optimizer
    open command promt
    type
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable
    and then use TCP optimizer
    I had a big problem with realplayer because the time taken to start playback is less than the time taken to adjust the recieve window and Real player was always taking my net speed to be 65 kbps until I used this

archdraong
    Actually there is a workaround where you can use tcp optimizer
    open command promt
    type
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable
    and then use TCP optimizer

i did the above steps, however after i reboot my explorer failed after awhile.....the problem was only solved when TCP optimizer was deleted

Vista doesn't use a tcpwindow size and as far as the registry stuff goes don't waste your time one everything is done using the netsh int stuff. If you are looking for a boost you could try enabling ctcp ,and the offload stuff as mettioned in Philips article.

Heck i even met the microsoft team in the spring asking the same questions it's all auto tune ,or in the netsh. The reason behind it was bottlenecking with the use of firewalls.

Read philip's article on vista tweaks ,and this blog post
    http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2...g-tcpip-2.aspx
    Comptia a+ n+

Sophie
    Nice article, but does anyone has any nice, easy to use, tweak tools for Vista? I triple boot my system and used the same tests 5 times in a row. In Ubuntu (default) I get a 20ms ping and speed of 11.2Kbps. In XP (tweaked) I get 29ms ping and speed of 10.1 Kbps. In Vista I get a 52ms ping and speed of 5.6Kbps. Vista clearly needs tweaking!

There is a few products that tweak vista most are paid for and the network tweaks in those prgrams are probably the same thing that is in that article.
    Comptia a+ n+