Thread: Proper way to connect wireless laptop to wired LAN

Proper way to connect wireless laptop to wired LAN

Hi all.
    My home network is linked to a cable moden by an eight port router. There are 5 computers hard wired into the router via cat 5 wire. All 5 computers use WinXP Professional as the OS, and the each computer on the LAN is networked with NETBEUI protocol.
    Yesterday I purchased a laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium installed. I wish to link the laptop to the LAN with a wireless connection.

Can anyone guide me as how to do this with my present network. I would like to leave the other 5 computers networked to the LAN by their present cat5 connections.. Do I connect a second wireless routerto the existing router? Or do I connect a switch to the existing router? As the existing LAN uses NetBeui protocol, can NetBeui protocol be used with Windows Vista?

Frankly, the only thing I would like for the laptop is to access and utilize the internet, and if possible to share a printer.

Thanks for the anticipated help.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You could add an access point to your existing router
    or
    You could replace your current 8 port router with a new wireless router
    if more LAN ports are needed just add as switch to the wireless router.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thank you for the response. I prefer the LAN hard wired. So could you clarify what you mean by adding an access point to my existing router.
    How do I add an access point to my existing router?
    What hardware do I need and where do I connect it?
    Thanks

Advanced Member
    What you need is an access point as already stated. It just connects to your existing router using a network cable and then any wireless computers connect to it, well wirelessly.

If I understand correctly, I need a wireless router. I then connect the wireless router to my present router. This will allow me to use the laptop wireless. Since my other computers are on a LAN with NetBeui protocol, and my laptop is Windows Vista, will I be able to print on a shared printer on the present LAN?
    It is more important to connect wireless than to print. I can always transfer data with a zip drive.
    Thanks

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Thira View Post
    If I understand correctly, I need a wireless router. I then connect the wireless router to my present router.
    Not quite...
    there is a difference between an "access point", and a "wireless router".
    An access point is basically just a bridge...it connects wireless to wired...on the same network..it does not segment the networks..but keeps it all as one big network. So if you want to add wireless PCs to your existing network infrastructure (including keeping your current router)..you use an access point.

A wireless router...you don't really use these to add to a network with an existing router. You don't generally add a router to another router..this will end up segmenting the network..the wireless will not communicate with the wired routers..because they are on separate networks...behind NAT. Either replace your old wired router with a wireless router, or you can go through complicated tricks to take your new wireless router and band-aid it with a funky setup so that it's basically being used as just an access point...which if that's the case, why not just get an access point in the first place?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks all. I did add an access point (I did not understand the posts as I did not know what an access point was- thanks to your help I do now).
    Next question. My original 5 wired computers LAN connected via Netbui protocol. All use Windows XP pro. I did this as I understood this was a fast protocol and more secure. I did separate the LAN from the WAN.

Since the laptop which will wirelessly use the access point to connect to the router uses Windows Vista Home Premium, will this preclude the laptop from the LAN?

What I really would like to do is share a printer which is on the LAN.
    If there is an easy way to do this I appreciate the advice. Or should I just place the laptop print job on a USB flash drive and print from another computer?
    Thanks again.

[QUOTE=Thira;1991356]
    Since the laptop which will wirelessly use the access point to connect to the router uses Windows Vista Home Premium, will this preclude the laptop from the LAN?

No, all computers, whether Vista, XP or whatever can share the LAN

What I really would like to do is share a printer which is on the LAN.

Presumably the printer is now connected to one of your computers and functioning properly. Be sure to "share" the printer on the connected computer. Then on each other computer, click on "add a printer", select Network printer NOT local printer, and navigate to the existing printer and go from there. (Hopefully the printer will work on Vista - some drivers have not yet been issued for all hardware).
    If this doesn't get your printer working on the Vista machine, you may have to download the Vista driver for your printer. You may want to post back if you're having issues installing the Vista driver and then networking the printer.