Thread: Speedguide.net web hosting

Question Speedguide.net web hosting

Few questions for the experienced crew here. I have someone that will assist me in building a website for my business and apparently I need one that offers a proper .net 2.0 and SQL2k5 environment.

So it looks as if I need a business developing account for this. The two that come in mind is 1and1:

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Hos...A722C1F3.TC60a

• 5 FREE domain names
    • 300 GB web space
    • 3,000 GB traffic
    • 4,000 e-mail accounts
    for 19.99/mth

and there's one that he recommended called discountasp:

http://www.discountasp.net/

This will be an ecommerce based website.

Few things:

Speedguide.net seems to of been one of the more reliable forums that I've been a member of and am curious to know who you use, are you happy with them?
    got old

this thread may help http://forums.speedguide.net/showthr...=moving+server

Powermedium.com < i think?

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Server was recently moved to a new host in Tampa Florida, Powermedium
    Specs here...
    http://www.speedguide.net/stats.php

And Philip highly customized the VB.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post

And Philip highly customized the VB.
    some stuffs still broke

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Powermedium and all the sites I've been looking at have there own servers? So the server that speedguide.net has is for backup or Powermedium is just hosting the server that's located at some members home?
    got old

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Powermedium and all the sites I've been looking at have there own servers? So the server that speedguide.net has is for backup or Powermedium is just hosting the server that's located at some members home?
    Philip built the physical server that Speedguide runs on....he carried to over to Powermedium, and they co-locate his server in their Tampa data center.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Philip built the physical server that Speedguide runs on....he carried to over to Powermedium, and they co-locate his server in their Tampa data center.
    No kidding! Never heard of someone doing that before, he must have friends there. I don't think I'll ever find that type of convenience North of the boarder!
    got old

No kidding! Never heard of someone doing that before, he must have friends there. I don't think I'll ever find that type of convenience North of the boarder!
    Ya it's quite common...many data centers do that..it's called "co-location". The data center we partner with does that, the SG game server was bought from Dell and we shipped it to UGS in Chicago, etc.

The ultra-cheap places don't do that, they make their money by purchases inexpensive servers, installing linux on them..and trying to cram a few dozen or more clients "sharing" the same physical server. You get your own "virtual server". Poor performance, get what you pay for.

The better places...co-lo's often at least 100/month for your own box and quality dedicated bandwidth.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Ya it's quite common...many data centers do that..it's called "co-location". The data center we partner with does that, the SG game server was bought from Dell and we shipped it to UGS in Chicago, etc.

The ultra-cheap places don't do that, they make their money by purchases inexpensive servers, installing linux on them..and trying to cram a few dozen or more clients "sharing" the same physical server. You get your own "virtual server". Poor performance, get what you pay for.

The better places...co-lo's often at least 100/month for your own box and quality dedicated bandwidth.
    That's very impressive actually. I suppose there would be a significant cost in trying to incorporate an ISP package for the bandwidth demands on an e-commerce site so I can see how this solution made alot of sense.
    got old

That's very impressive actually. I suppose there would be a significant cost in trying to incorporate an ISP package for the bandwidth demands on an e-commerce site so I can see how this solution made alot of sense.
    I'm not up on eCommerce stuff....what I do for a living is more dealing from the firewall==>LAN, for business networks...not really webhosting. Not sure how to give advice on the process of shopping out various eCommerce packages. There are so many "canned solutions" out there now in this area. I suppose just figuring out what needs you have for it..and hitting up a few..seeing which is best for you.

You starting small, testing the waters, and looking to grow? Or realistically expect to have heavy hitting needs right out of the gate?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    some stuffs still broke
    lol.

I'm not up on eCommerce stuff....what I do for a living is more dealing from the firewall==>LAN, for business networks...not really webhosting. Not sure how to give advice on the process of shopping out various eCommerce packages. There are so many "canned solutions" out there now in this area. I suppose just figuring out what needs you have for it..and hitting up a few..seeing which is best for you.

You starting small, testing the waters, and looking to grow? Or realistically expect to have heavy hitting needs right out of the gate?
    Heavy hitting right out of the gate. The business has been established since '97 so it's an expansion.
    got old