Thread: MS Outlook

SG Enthusiast

MS Outlook

I just re-installed office an outlook still had previous emails in it and still takes about a minute to open up. Do you know what would cause this? Shouldn't I have to set up email again? this doesn't make sense to me. I hope it does for you and you have an answer?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Is the PST on a local drive or across a network?
    How large is the PST?
    Have you installed Office updates?
    Run the Inbox repair utility found in your MS Office directory, scanpst.exe
    Any additional archived folders being unnecessarily tied in?
    Delete any COM+ add-ins in the advanced options of Outlook.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

SG Enthusiast
    I did a find on .pst and came up empty. Any ideas? What file do I enter for scanpst.exe, please?
    Last edited by 24giovanni; 01-29-07 at 05:41 PM.

I was assuming you ran stand alone....POP3 Internet e-mail to Outlook. In such case, you'll have a PST.

If you're connected to an Exchange server..you won't have a PST on a standard setup, as mail is kept in the users mailbox on the Exchange server.

Is this stand alone or w/Exchange?

What version Outlook? And Exchange?

Scanpst.exe is found in your MS Office directory as part of the Office install...just do a search for it..run it...point it to the PST you wish to have reindexed.

The PST is found through several methods. A search is one way. Opening up MS Outlook (if run in stand alone mode), right click your users inbox, properties, advanced, you'll see the path, pretty much just like finding the location of Outlook Express DBX files.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

SG Enthusiast
    Hi, I run a home LAN. i am using outlook 2000 after selecting properties there is no advanced. Now what please and thanks for helping me.

SG Enthusiast
    I try to open new mail and the app. closes. I am also getting the following error "the app. failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click OK to terminate the app". What can I do to fix this please?

Now I am getting "this app requires the windows installer to run".

SG Enthusiast
    problem solved...outlook express.

So reading that you're running a home LAN...I'll "assume" you're running it using POP3 Internet e-mail, and not an Exchange Server.

Have you run your office updates, as suggested above? It's like Windows updates for Office..often can fix little issues, not to mention important for fixing security exploits.

ScanPST and removing stale COM+ add-ins often fixes issues too, especially a plugin from Symantec antivirus which deposits a file called extend.dat..deleting it sometimes fixes issue.

Going backwards to OE didn't solve the issue IMO.

And sometimes you just might have a corrupted Office install...inserting the CD and running an Office repair can help, or the more drastic measure...uninstalling Office, deleting the directory, then reinstalling and re-service packing/updating Office fixes the issue.

All in all..usually solved withing 15-30 minutes.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

SG Enthusiast
    I agree it didn't solve the problem but no one was giving me an alternative answer. I tried repairing MS office to no avail. I tried updates to no avail. Unless you can offer an alternative answer OE is the only answer I see.

Quote Originally Posted by 24giovanni View Post
    I agree it didn't solve the problem but no one was giving me an alternative answer. I tried repairing MS office to no avail. I tried updates to no avail. Unless you can offer an alternative answer OE is the only answer I see.
    Other alternatives were provided up above..there is also the scanpst, there is also the complete reinstall, there is also removing stale or unwanted COM+ add ins. And unwanted extra personal folders or archives. Or create a fresh virgin PST. One of those has always gotten rid of an encountered issue.
    Guinness for Strength!!!