Thread: Drive Letter

Drive Letter

I recently split my hard drive in half like this...

(front 1/3 of disk) c: windows / apps
    (back 2/3 of disk) z: files

I just started a format and windows setup comes up with my z drive as d and my c drive as d. Naturally I can only install it on d now.

Is there a workaround on a windows installtion to fix this so that it doesn't label my drives wrong?

Change the x drive to D using Disk management.
    In windows xp setup delete the existing windows partition & create a new one, install to it. Did you use a part editor to change the existing drive? If so, it could have messed up the fats.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Partition Magic was used to split the drive. Going into disk management now it won't change either drive letter because my D is the boot and C is the system.

"Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume"

I went ahead and ordered a seagate 7200.10 250Gb drive to put my windows installation on and I'll just make the 320Gb drive my file disk.

Thanks for the info TonyT
    Last edited by Shagster; 01-29-07 at 09:30 AM.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I prefer to always create/manage partitions within NT Setup...that first step during installing windows. If you want multiple partitions...(more than just a C drive)...create the C partition during this phase of the setup. Once Windows is installed..I then use Disk Management to create my additional partition.

If there is existing data that you need to keep, it makes things trickier..but can still be done. However..sometimes as a drive goes through various uses...things can get weird with it down the road, and IMO for reliability nothing beats totally blowing away all partitions...and creating them from scratch during a fresh install of the OS. So perhaps a quick solution would be to copy the data from your second partition to a "spare" drive for the time being...wiping her clean, creating a C..install the OS..create a second partition...copy back your data.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Would have done that but the plastic guide piece on the sata connector of my backup 200gig hdd broke off so it cannot be connected.

How about I merge the partitions?

It was like this...

|C:/windows-----------------------| |Z:/files--------------------------------|

Windows forced it to do this...

|D:/windows-----------------------| |C:/files--------------------------------|

So would the boot section remain messed up if I just merged C with D so it looked like this after a fresh windows install?...

|C:/windows---------------------------files---------------------------------|

I just have the extremely ghetto windows install on it now. If I did that I would not be able to format what windows is on when reinstalling it. Rather reinstall it over the current windows.

Maybe just do a repair? I wouldn't know what to expect from that op.
    Last edited by Shagster; 01-29-07 at 04:22 PM.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Shagster View Post
    I just have the extremely ghetto windows install on it now. If I did that I would not be able to format what windows is on when reinstalling it. Rather reinstall it over the current windows..
    Why not? Just boot from the CD....pay attention to the 2x avail partitions...delete the bum one.....create it again...format...install.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!