Thread: SPYWARE remover?

Arrow SPYWARE remover?

Hi, I know in this day and age it is absolutely VITAL to have a "spy ware remover" and scanner on your PC but does it hurt to have too many? I have read on a few forums it's good to have certain ones but whats the point on installing two programs that do the same thing.

I know space isn't an issue these days, but I want a nice streamlined PC that has just the programs on to do the job.

I have two, do I need more?

S&D spyware remover.

NTL's Netguard - my firewall and virus scanner, aslo has a spyware scanner on it, removes things sometimes - this is the only one running in the background the others I run as and when i can, after an intensive web session, weekly or so...

I have RegMechanic also this seems to be a good program.

I also have HIJACKTHIS here is my log of my PC running now.

Please please let me know of any problems:

Next Post I will post my hiJackTHIS Log, thanks.

Olly.

I run ad-aware and spybot search and destroy..thats plenty for me and most people.

I disagree with Sava, Ad-Aware is about useless these days with it's lack luster detection rate. I install multiple applications for every client, I use Ad-Aware, SpyBot, Spywareblaster, AVG Anti-Spyware, SUPERAnti-Spyware (the best overall), HijackThis along with Autoruns and Process Explorer to see what's going on, this is also complimented with Kaspersky anti-virus. When I get a badly infected pc that a client brings me all of these programs find something, usually multiple things, so there is no reason to not use all of them.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I agree I've found SuperAntispyware to be the most effective and thorough removal tool. It's the first one I run on infected machines.

Keep the latest CCleaner onboard and run it also.

Spywareblaster is a decent prevention tool..think of it as a condom for your web browser. (protects IE and FF). Keep updating it often.

Spybot Search and Destroy is an oldie..and still pretty decent. Keep it updated, and each time you updated it, re-immunize it.

I've found Adaware not that useful lately..it finds lots of useless junk, log files of past Adobe files opened or Zip files opened, plain old cookies..stuff like that. Whe the heck cares about that stuff..I want the bad downloaders and trojans found and removed..and it doesn't seem that strong anymore. I'll still run it on infected systems as yet another tool, but, it's not a main program for me.

A good antivirus program is a key in front line defense, one with browser protection. Kapersky and NOD32 lead in this field.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post
    I disagree with Sava, Ad-Aware is about useless these days with it's lack luster detection rate. I install multiple applications for every client, I use Ad-Aware, SpyBot, Spywareblaster, AVG Anti-Spyware, SUPERAnti-Spyware (the best overall),

LOL umm you say you disagree..and say ad-aware is useless but you then go to say you install multiple applications for every client and list Ad-Aware as one of them?

confused????

I just use it cause its a small footprint and has many updates..spy bot I think is alot better but with the two they do the job IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    LOL umm you say you disagree..and say ad-aware is useless but you then go to say you install multiple applications for every client and list Ad-Aware as one of them?

confused????

I just use it cause its a small footprint and has many updates..spy bot I think is alot better but with the two they do the job IMO.
    I said it's "about useless", it still finds things, but nowhere near as much as others, but it's free so there really isn't a reason to not use it. Ad-Aware and SpyBot were about the first two original spyware removal tools but have fallen way behind others in detection rates. SpyBot offers the immunize feature which is a must if you use IE and has gotten better in recent months with regular updates.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    I agree I've found SuperAntispyware to be the most effective and thorough removal tool. It's the first one I run on infected machines.

10-4 on that!

Last time my laptop got infected, Adaware, Spybot, and Spysweeper got 99% of it. Nothing could get all of it out accept Superantispyware.
    ** Speed 3370(down)/425(up) kbps **
    My IROC-Z28