Thread: Norton Ghost confussion

cgram23

Question Norton Ghost confussion

To anyone who uses Norton Ghost:

The dos interface is a little confusing, and I need a little help. All I want to do is create an image of my hard drive so I can revert back to it's current state (if the occassion should arrise). I have a 20Gig drive. Can someone tell me the correct settings to do this? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by cgram23 (edited 01-15-2001).]

Prey521

Straight from Symantec's website:

How to create an image of a drive and save it on a different local drive

Situation:
    You want to know how to run Ghost to make an image of your local drive and save that image on another local drive.

Solution:
    To create an image of a drive and save that image to another drive on the same computer, start and run Ghost from a bootup disk. Use the instructions in the section "Creating an image file." Note that this information is also in the Ghost User's Manual, in the section "Cloning a disk to an image file" in the chapter "Using Norton Ghost." These instructions can be used for Ghost 2000 Personal Edition (Ghost PE), Ghost 5.x, Ghost 6.x Standard Edition, and Ghost 6.x Enterprise Edition.

NOTE: Do not start Ghost from an MS-DOS Prompt from within Windows (that is, from Start, then Programs, then MS-DOS Prompt). For more information on how to start Ghost, see the document How to launch the Ghost client.

Creating an image file
    Use the following steps to have Ghost create an image of a physical disk and save it as an image file on another physical disk.
    1. Prepare a boot disk:
    1. Create a boot disk. See the document How to create a DOS system disk for Ghost.
    2. Copy the Ghost executable file (Ghost.exe, Ghostpe.exe, or Ghostwks.exe) to the root directory of the DOS system disk.
    3. Insert the DOS system disk into the disk drive.
    2. Start the computer. This should display a DOS prompt, such as A:\

NOTE: To save the image to a Zip or Jaz drive instead of a local hard drive, you must run Guest.exe at the DOS prompt. This will enable Ghost to see the drive. Guest.exe is a part of the Iomega Tools, and can be downloaded from: http://www.iomega.com/software/index.html.

3. Start Ghost. The following instructions open the About Norton Ghost window:
    If using Ghost PE or Ghost 2001, type:

Ghostpe.exe

If using Ghost 5.x or 6.x, type:

Ghost.exe

If using Ghost Works (included in version 2 of Norton SystemWorks), type:

Ghostwks.exe

NOTE: To split the image as you are creating it (that is, to create several small image files instead of one large image file, so that you can later burn these files to CDs) add the switches -SPLIT=600 and -AUTO to the end of the line (for Ghost 6.04 and earlier, use -AUTONAME instead of -AUTO). For instance, instead of typing Ghostpe.exe , you would type:

Ghostpe.exe -split=600 -auto

4. Select OK. This displays the Ghost menu.
    5. Point to Local, then Disk.
    6. Click To Image. This displays information about each drive on your system. Each line is a separate drive.
    7. Click the line for the drive that you want to make a copy of and click OK. Normally, Drive 1 is your C: drive. Clicking OK displays the "File name to copy image to" window.

NOTE: Ghost also displays your Zip or Jaz drive here if you ran Guest.exe in Step 2. You may choose the Zip or Jaz drive instead of a physical hard drive. Ghost will automatically split the image (if necessary) to span multiple Zip or Jaz drives.

8. Select the drive to save the image file to:

WARNING: You should be at the window called "File name to copy image to." If the window is called "Select Destination Drive," do NOT continue. Instead, click Cancel and start over. The "Select Destination Drive" window indicates that you selected "Disk to Disk" in Step 6 instead of "Disk to Image". Selecting the "Disk To Disk" option will overwrite the second drive with data from the first drive. All data on the second drive will be lost.

1. Click the arrow on the "Look in:" box and select the drive you want to save the image file to, such as D:.
    2. Click the red arrow (the arrow points to the left) until the "Look in:" box displays "Local Drive," such as "D:Local Drive." This tells Ghost to save the image file on the root of the D: drive. To save the image file in a folder on D: (instead of on the root), click the folder name. Note that the folder name appears in the "Look in:" box.
    3. In the "File name:" box, type a filename, such as ImgC. This is the name you are giving the image file that Ghost will create.
    4. Click Open.

NOTE: If you see the error message, "Dump file is on drive being dumped," see the document Error: "Dump file is on drive being dumped" When Creating an Image. This message means you selected the same drive that you are going to image. Ghost cannot save image files on the same physical disk that is being imaged.

5. Select the compression type: No, Fast, or High:
    No = No compression = Fastest speed
    No means the image file will not be compressed. It will be about the same size as the disk that is being imaged.
    Fast = Low compression = Medium speed
    High = High compression = Slowest speed
    With high compression, the image file will be significantly smaller than the size of the disk that is being imaged, depending on original disk's amount of free disk space and type of files. This can significantly slow the imaging process.
    6. Select whether to continue. Note that this option defaults to No. To continue with the process, select Yes. Ghost will now create the image file.
    7. When Ghost is done, either verify the image file (see the section "Making sure the image was saved correctly") or select Exit.
    Making sure the image was saved correctly
    Each Ghost image file contains information that Ghost can use to verify that the image file was created properly. Use the following steps to verify the integrity of the image file:
    1. Select OK or Cancel until Ghost returns to the main menu.
    2. Point to Local, then Check.
    3. Click Image File.
    4. Navigate to the location of the image file.
    5. Click the name of the image file.
    6. Click Yes to start the verification process.

This reads the image file, but does not write to it. If Ghost finds problems with the image file, you cannot repair them. Instead, create a new image file.

You can also view image files with Ghost Explorer:
    1. Exit Ghost.
    2. Remove the floppy disk from the drive.
    3. Restart the computer.
    4. Click Start, point to Programs.
    5. Click Ghost, and then click Ghost Explorer.
    6. Click File, and then click Open.
    7. Navigate to the location of the image file.
    8. Click the name of the image file, then click Open.

Use Ghost Explorer as you would Windows Explorer, to see which files are included in the image file. If Ghost Explorer cannot read one or more files, try reading the same file in Windows Explorer (that is, read the original of this file instead of the copy contained in the image file). If Windows Explorer can read the file and Ghost Explorer cannot, the image file might be damaged. Ghost cannot repair damaged image files. Instead, create a new image file.

NOTE: You can also use Ghost Explorer to add and remove individual files or folders to the image file.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product(s): Norton Ghost 2000 Personal Edition, Norton Ghost 2001, Norton Ghost 4.0, Norton Ghost 5.0, Norton Ghost 6.0 Enterprise, Norton Ghost 6.0 Standard, Symantec Ghost 6.5
    Operating Systems(s): All Supported
    Document ID: 2000042410060425
    Date Created: 04/24/2000
    Last Modified: 11/16/2000

Or, if you just want the link, Here It Is

------------------

cgram23

Wink

Thanks Prey, dude!

DaveTech

I'm assuming you know that you can't save the image file on the partition or disk your're trying to back up, and that your're trying to do Disk-to-Image. You will need to save the Image to a secondary HD or, if you have the latest Ghost software and a CD writable, you can now burn a copy of the image onto a CD in DOS Mode. To do a Disk to Image, reboot the system with your Norton Boot disk in the floppy. From the menu, select Local, then Disk, then, to Image. The Source dialog box will appear and will display each partition on your system. Select the partition you wish to save to an image file. In the File location box, give the image file a name and specify where it is to be saved, for example, if you have 2 HD's and your're trying to image HD 1, then save it to HD 2, (or CD, Tape, Zip, JAZ, LS120) but not to HD 1. When asked for the compression method, choose No compression, Fast, or High (No is fastest, but doesn't save space, Fast is medium speed and High is slowest, but will compress up to half the size of your image, i.e., 100mb will compress to 50mb). I have Norton System Works 2001 Advanced which included Ghost. I can now create images directly to my CD-Writeable and if over the 650 threshold, norton will span CD disks. I now have a complete image on 3 CD's. If you don't have the latest Ghost software, there is a trialware copy available at www.symantec.com.

cgram23

Exclamation

Someone please help me. I have followed all the above steps, but when it finishes with the first CD, I get an error message and can't continue!! Please help!

cgram23

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DaveTech:
    I'm assuming you know that you can't save the image file on the partition or disk your're trying to back up, and that your're trying to do Disk-to-Image. You will need to save the Image to a secondary HD or, if you have the latest Ghost software and a CD writable, you can now burn a copy of the image onto a CD in DOS Mode. To do a Disk to Image, reboot the system with your Norton Boot disk in the floppy. From the menu, select Local, then Disk, then, to Image. The Source dialog box will appear and will display each partition on your system. Select the partition you wish to save to an image file. In the File location box, give the image file a name and specify where it is to be saved, for example, if you have 2 HD's and your're trying to image HD 1, then save it to HD 2, (or CD, Tape, Zip, JAZ, LS120) but not to HD 1. When asked for the compression method, choose No compression, Fast, or High (No is fastest, but doesn't save space, Fast is medium speed and High is slowest, but will compress up to half the size of your image, i.e., 100mb will compress to 50mb). I have Norton System Works 2001 Advanced which included Ghost. I can now create images directly to my CD-Writeable and if over the 650 threshold, norton will span CD disks. I now have a complete image on 3 CD's. If you don't have the latest Ghost software, there is a trialware copy available at www.symantec.com.</font>

I've done all of this. I am trying to write an image of my HD to CD, but once it appears that it has finished writing the first cd, it will freeze up instead of prompting me to enter a new cd.

Prey521

Well, this is a direct link to Symantecs Tech Support for troubleshooting CD-R/W problems with Ghost. Hope It Helps.

Click Me, Click Me

------------------

Escheits

Problem copying image to a NTFS Disk

I have no problem copying an image of my NTFS drive to another FAT32 Disk, but I cannot copy the FAT32 image to the NTFS drive. WHen the copy image screen is there I only show the source drive (FAT32). Will Ghost not write to a NTFS drive?

She's presenting like a mandrill!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Escheits
    I have no problem copying an image of my NTFS drive to another FAT32 Disk, but I cannot copy the FAT32 image to the NTFS drive. WHen the copy image screen is there I only show the source drive (FAT32). Will Ghost not write to a NTFS drive?

It will write to NTFS with no problems....do you have a fairly recent version? You copying from the boot disk with PCDos? Or through Windows?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!