Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burke's Vista thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by stevebakh View Post
    Wait until you have the top hardware to back it up, at least.

check

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_R View Post
    yes I realized that thank you

just seemed a really strange coincidence ... oh well ... wouldn't be the first time I saw something "strange" like that in this business ...
    Don't you just hate those?

What prices are you guys seeing right now for Vista Ultimate (Full Version) and where?

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    What prices are you guys seeing right now for Vista Ultimate (Full Version) and where?
    Dunno, I got mine through my MSDN subscription. I think home premium is around $100 OEM tho. I'd guess (shot in the dark here) Ultimate would be 399 or 299 retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Amro View Post
    Dunno, I got mine through my MSDN subscription. I think home premium is around $100 OEM tho. I'd guess (shot in the dark here) Ultimate would be 399 or 299 retail.
    well correct me if I'm wrong but the retail versions are only a nice shinny box to go along with it and a big book to help you out with it.

OEM is just the CD or DVD..

But this leads me to my question.. I see that the 100.52 driver released yesterday unofficial for Vista 32 and 64bits.. Nvidia won't really official release this till Tuesday but ohh well their problem. I'm curious on the chipset driver..otherwise the other drivers are all ready out for my hardware with the exception to the AMD dual core optimizer and I think the dual core drivers but hey they may release tuesday as well. I'm just trying to figure out if I should go ahead and order a OEM copy of Ultimate now and fool with the drivers as I get to the issues or wait a few weeks and then do it. I just want to start getting used to it so when I have to work on someones computer that has it I'll know what I'm doing.

I would wait, there are still many applications that are not compatible. I'm dual booting XP Pro and Vista Ultimate RC2 on my laptop and there are still some issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post
    I would wait, there are still many applications that are not compatible. I'm dual booting XP Pro and Vista Ultimate RC2 on my laptop and there are still some issues with it.

Well the NDA for 100.54 Nvidia Display drivers isn't till Jan30th but they already leaked out. If the chipset drivers and other drivers are Dropped on that day I'll order it. I read somewhere there is a "Super Duper" Vista driver that is out there for a ton of stuff. Also you have to take into account drivers for the dual cores like AMD's dual core driver, Optimzer etc.. I know of beta's out right now for alot of sound cards including the one I have but not officals which I reckon might be released Tuesday as well. Guess I'll have to wait and see.. at any account I guess I could go ahead and purchse it as at Newegg its pretty cheap right now. But back to my original question, and that is should I just stick to OEM 32bit or go retail? I don't really see the point in going 64bit at the moment since the applications just are not there even at the 64bit step of XP.

Ohh and for those that already have it.. did it come with DX10????????

I played with the RC2 and really liked it. As long as they have a NOD verison that works and stable video and chipset drivers Im gonna buy it online I think, and try that route the 30th.
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

Certified SG Addict
    After tinkering all weekend with it, I'm going to stick with XP SP2 for now. Everything in XP is "zippier", and there's little of the Mac-ifications (i.e., simplifications) in terms of the Control Panel and user settings.

Pros:
    - Aero is pretty.
    - Latest drivers for my two-week old Dell installed from Vista's DVD, all I had to install were the (beta) video drivers.
    - Explorer, Windows Mail (formerly Outlook Express) are vastly improved.
    - The WinLife suite (Movie Maker, DVD Maker, Photo Gallery) is a lot better than before.
    - DirectX 10 support.

Cons:
    - Program and UI bugs, including IE7 not remember your settings for some reason. There is no real functional benefit from Aero.
    - Flip3D is just about useless.
    - Like Spotlight on Mac OS X, Windows Search has to be reigned in or you'll hear your disk churning all the time.
    - I counted nearly FORTY Services that are set to Automatic by default, and many of them are required for Windows to run. I tried experimenting and could not access the Control Panel, had to repair and reinstall.
    - UAC (User Account Control) is draconian, asking for permission to do simple things like make a Display Settings change or open a RAR file with WinRAR (you have to authorize it each time). Disabling it helps, but also defeats the purpose of having it. It also does not have a "remember this item as authorized" option, which can really make things irritating.
    - Windows Update is no longer a link, but automatic. It reeks of Mac OS X's Software Update.
    Last edited by Brk; 01-28-07 at 09:45 PM.

anyone wanna buy a copy of vista business (unused, unopened)?

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Well the NDA for 100.54 Nvidia Display drivers isn't till Jan30th but they already leaked out. If the chipset drivers and other drivers are Dropped on that day I'll order it. I read somewhere there is a "Super Duper" Vista driver that is out there for a ton of stuff. Also you have to take into account drivers for the dual cores like AMD's dual core driver, Optimzer etc.. I know of beta's out right now for alot of sound cards including the one I have but not officals which I reckon might be released Tuesday as well. Guess I'll have to wait and see.. at any account I guess I could go ahead and purchse it as at Newegg its pretty cheap right now. But back to my original question, and that is should I just stick to OEM 32bit or go retail? I don't really see the point in going 64bit at the moment since the applications just are not there even at the 64bit step of XP.

Ohh and for those that already have it.. did it come with DX10????????

pm me a link? guru has 100.51..that's all i can find tho

Certified SG Addict
    pm me a link? guru has 100.51..that's all i can find tho
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1150212

thanks very much, Burke.

Quote Originally Posted by 64bit View Post
    I played with the RC2 and really liked it. As long as they have a NOD verison that works and stable video and chipset drivers Im gonna buy it online I think, and try that route the 30th.
    2.7 works fine

going to give them a shot really quickly and see how it goes. in XP, i could run 1680x1050 w/ 2xSSAA and 16x Aniso

the 100.54s bring my CS Source performance back up to about XP levels. It feels SO much smoother than before..maybe I'll do better in the match tuesday. thanks so much burke.

the 100.54s bring my CS Source performance back up to about XP levels. It feels SO much smoother than before..maybe I'll do better in the match tuesday. thanks so much burke.
    yeah I was going to post a location on the forums.. being they are NDA Guru3d admins can't post the links up cause of it or they will get a slap on the wrist so to speak! LOL

I imagin we will see a pile load of drivers drop on Tuesday! I'm preying for chipsets and AMD drivers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    I got Ultimate Ed. (full) for 199.00 @ newegg

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Don't you just hate those?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Certified SG Addict
    So...does anyone wanna buy my copy? Home Premium OEM, never activated? (Yeah yeah, it "violates" the OEM agreements, but c'mon, never activated!)

$100 shipped.