Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burke's Vista thoughts...

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll probably get the $99.99 "upgrade" Home Version.. down the road.. I really don't care about the "Aero" interface.

ok - just reinstalled xp and the MOTHER****ING USB STILL DOESN'T WORK

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Alot of Drivers from other companies won't release till Jan 30th people.. Nvidia for example has a Official 100.40 Vista Driver that will release Jan 30th along with countless of other drivers including that of the chip sets etc.. Jamie I think what your running into is a chip set driver issue.. you will prob have to wait till the official Vista ones come out.. load them to get your USB's to work again.. going back to XP I'm not sure but its prob something still there preventing them from working.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_R View Post
    Then the problem wasn't Vista.

I am not understanding this why would someone change to vista? I have not heard very good things about it so far.

after thought: windows has gimped on a OS befor
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    I am not understanding this why would someone change to vista? I have not heard very good things about it so far.

after thought: windows has gimped on a OS befor
    i love it..ignore the haters. everyone hates MS b/c they're MS. the OS has its share of issues, but what first release software doesn't? the driver support isn't MS's fault, but it's being fixed quickly. just mho.

I am sorry I guess what I mean is I see nothing wrong with xp and don't understand the need for a new OS.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    I am sorry I guess what I mean is I see nothing wrong with xp and don't understand the need for a new OS.
    Ah, XP is a fine OS, don't get me wrong (please don't be sorry -- everyone's entitled to their opinion). I suppose I just think it's time for an improvement graphically, feature wise (file system stuff, network stuff, media wise, etc), interface wise (make it more intuitive -- and it is in most cases, other than UAC), etc.

Certified SG Addict
    I've gone through it over the past few hours, and really it's just XP with an idiot-proof candy coating so people won't totally screw things up.

The two downsides now are:

1) I had to disable UAC altogether to get a couple of programs I use all the time to install, and re-enabling it screws them up again.

2) all these new added Services make it hard to know which ones I can disable safely without things going haywire.

the new folder structure made me do away with all my partitions. That's saying something.

Also, does anyone know how to disable those annoying custom bookmark icons in IE7?

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    I've gone through it over the past few hours, and really it's just XP with an idiot-proof candy coating so people won't totally screw things up.

The two downsides now are:

1) I had to disable UAC altogether to get a couple of programs I use all the time to install, and re-enabling it screws them up again.

2) all these new added Services make it hard to know which ones I can disable safely without things going haywire.

the new folder structure made me do away with all my partitions. That's saying something.

Also, does anyone know how to disable those annoying custom bookmark icons in IE7?
    I'll have to agree w/ you on all of that. I dunno, I still use FF2 w/ the IEVIEW add-on.

Certified SG Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Amro View Post
    I'll have to agree w/ you on all of that. I dunno, I still use FF2 w/ the IEVIEW add-on.
    I was stricken with horror to see how many Services were set to Automatic by default.

I was stricken with horror to see how many Services were set to Automatic by default.
    Yea, I've still not gone through to fix that. I really want to limit the space shadow volumes uses..it eats like 30GB (not that I need the space, I suppose). I'm not even sure what to turn off..such a huge list. The indexer is nice, I suppose. I guess I just need to build another computer (laf?)

I tried the final beta release a month or so ago and was not overwhelmed with joy from using it. The nag screens REALLY annoyed the crap out of me, so I'm back on XP for probably the next 4-6 months until things come around a bit in the compatibility department.

That will keep me away from Vista for a while on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    They will get me to upgrade to Vista when they pry my lappy from my cold dead hands.

the only reason thats pushing me very soon to at least upgrade to Vista on my gaming rig is DX10.. if they would give DX10 to XPPro alone I'd not upgrade at least for the next year.. but I must have DX10!!!!!!!!!

no. no, No. NO, NO... NO! stevebakh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    the only reason thats pushing me very soon to at least upgrade to Vista on my gaming rig is DX10.. if they would give DX10 to XPPro alone I'd not upgrade at least for the next year.. but I must have DX10!!!!!!!!!
    Wait until you have the top hardware to back it up, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_R View Post
    Relax, we "fixed" it.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by stevebakh View Post
    Wait until you have the top hardware to back it up, at least.
    I've got top hardware... the requirements are laxed besides having to have a dx10 graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by Amro View Post
    Then the problem wasn't Vista.
    yes I realized that thank you

just seemed a really strange coincidence ... oh well ... wouldn't be the first time I saw something "strange" like that in this business ...

I'm still gonna let Vista wait for a while though ... like I said, I've got it, so when it's ready I'll be ready

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.