Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Were can I find what slot I have for vid card

Question Were can I find what slot I have for vid card

Hello, I was wondering were I could check on my computer what slot I have for my video card??
    Also I'm thinking of getting new one any suggestions? not to pricey like around $200.00 256mb??
    I have windows xp sp2 home edition 512 megs of ram.
    Thanks!
    One time when me was high, me sold me car for like 24 chicken McNuggets. -Ali G

I assume you mean what 'type' of slot, AGP, PCI Express, or PCI?

What motherboard do you have?
    got old

Yes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    I assume you mean what 'type' of slot, AGP, PCI Express, or PCI?

What motherboard do you have?
    Umm, lol how do I find out were??

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+
    Processor Speed 2.03 GHz
    Memory (RAM) 512 MB
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Operating System Version 5.1.2600

?????

Processorx86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2079 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 3.21, 8/31/2004
    SMBIOS Version 2.3

Open up Windows Device Manager by right-clicking the My Computer icon and selecting Properties. Select the Device Manager tab and click the option labeled 'View Devices By Connection'. Look for Plug and Play BIOS and open the tree. Look for PCI Bus, and click the + sign. Scan the list of devices for the letters AGP.

If you are still unsure, open up the side panel and take a look. Your present videocard would be plugged into an agp slot that is longer and of a different colour (Asus is usually brown in colour) then the white pci slots. Or it might be on board video that has to be disabled in bios before you install a videocard.

1) You need to know the motherboard you have, it would be embossed on the motherboard itself such as Asus P2B , or Asus P5P 800 etc etc. There is also a white sticker with a serial number that is usually located near the PS2 port.

2) Look in Device manager and tell me what videocard you do have. Start/Control Panel/System Properties/Device Manager/Display Adaptor, press the (+) to expand and tell me what you have.

I'm 90% sure you have an Asus motherboard, given the bios you provided and most likely an AGP slot. The good news is that AGP cards can be had for a very cheap price since the introduction of PCI Express slots. Band news is that's ... well...it's obsolete.

If that's the case ( AGP 4x) then I would try to find an ATI x1650 512mb:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814195031

What type of powersupply do you have?

One last note, I would highly suggest adding another stick of 512mb of ram...should be of the same make though.
    Last edited by Think; 01-24-07 at 06:04 AM.
    got old

Talking

Open up Windows Device Manager by right-clicking the My Computer icon and selecting Properties. Select the Device Manager tab and click the option labeled 'View Devices By Connection'. Look for Plug and Play BIOS and open the tree. Look for PCI Bus, and click the + sign. Scan the list of devices for the letters AGP.

If you are still unsure, open up the side panel and take a look. Your present videocard would be plugged into an agp slot that is longer and of a different colour (Asus is usually brown in colour) then the white pci slots. Or it might be on board video that has to be disabled in bios before you install a videocard.

1) You need to know the motherboard you have, it would be embossed on the motherboard itself such as Asus P2B , or Asus P5P 800 etc etc. There is also a white sticker with a serial number that is usually located near the PS2 port.

2) Look in Device manager and tell me what videocard you do have. Start/Control Panel/System Properties/Device Manager/Display Adaptor, press the (+) to expand and tell me what you have.

I'm 90% sure you have an Asus motherboard, given the bios you provided and most likely an AGP slot. The good news is that AGP cards can be had for a very cheap price since the introduction of PCI Express slots. Band news is that's ... well...it's obsolete.

If that's the case ( AGP 4x) then I would try to find an ATI x1650 512mb:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814195031

What type of powersupply do you have?
    One last note, I would highly suggest adding another stick of 512mb of ram...should be of the same make though.

I'm not sure what type of power supply I have and I also couldn't find the 'View Devices By Connection' tab or whatever and ill look at what type of mother board tomorrow, but I did find what video card I have!
    Thanks for the help

O and for the ram I do reely what to upgrade it to 2 gigs for extreme game playing!! Have any thoughts on a reliable but good ram??
    I have: Currently installed memory:

256 MB DDR PC3200 256 MB DDR PC3200

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.
    Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
    Currently Installed Memory: 512 MB
    Available Memory Slots: 0
    Number of Banks: 2
    Dual Channel Support: No
    CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
    CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+ Model 10, Stepping 0
    CPU Speed: 2079 MHz

It's an integrated gpu agustintorre. You'll need to find out what type of motherboard you have before you waste your money. By the way, 1 gig is enough for your purposes. But before you go on here, you have to find out which motherboard you have first, then I can provide a better opinion of what is suitable.
    got old

ok im not sure if this is it or not:
    OB2 explf 3.13

Model- HPd2537f3r

and the power supply- acinput c47-63hz
    dcoutput +5v /25a

I think thats all right thanks.

Maybe the type of motherboard is in here??

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name TORRES-DPEDXGDQ
    System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 061
    System Model DM168A-ABA A320N
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2079 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 3.21, 8/31/2004
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name TORRES-DPEDXGDQ\Agustin
    Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 103.69 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 1.03 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Shut off the pc, pop off the side cover. if you see a little brown slot near the middle of your motherboard, you have an AGP slot. If you have a vid card slot (other than pci, i mean), it'll be AGP (based on your processor being an Athlon XP).

If it's an HP system I wouldn't put too much money into it. That system uses DDR SDRAM so my first step would be to buy another stick of 512mb of ram.

To be nice, I wouldn't buy anything better then the x1600 pro:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814241017

There maybe some compatibility issues anyway so i would suggest purchasing the card from a local box retailer and giving it a try first.

It's really not worth put money into it in my opinion.
    got old

Ya I know im gonna buy an hp labtop for my self but I just whant to upgrade this one just in case i wanna play on it sometimes.
    And for the family to use two.

If it's an HP system I wouldn't put too much money into it. That system uses DDR SDRAM so my first step would be to buy another stick of 512mb of ram.

To be nice, I wouldn't buy anything better then the x1600 pro:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814241017

There maybe some compatibility issues anyway so i would suggest purchasing the card from a local box retailer and giving it a try first.

It's really not worth put money into it in my opinion.
    So you saying you dont like hp.....?

Quote Originally Posted by agustintorre View Post
    So you saying you dont like hp.....?
    Not that model. Good for an e-machine: messanger, basic photoshop, word processing. For gaming? no way.
    got old

Quote Originally Posted by Amro View Post
    Shut off the pc, pop off the side cover. if you see a little brown slot near the middle of your motherboard, you have an AGP slot. If you have a vid card slot (other than pci, i mean), it'll be AGP (based on your processor being an Athlon XP).
    Im not exactly what a motherboard looks like and were it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Amro View Post
    Ive opened it up and found a chocolate brown slot, thats an agp slot right?

Hey Think im gonna upgrade my pc's ram to one gig, I already have 2 256 mb slots filled. If I put 1 gig in one slot and leave 1 256 mb stick in, will that mess things up or anything. From having uneven memory in the 2 slots?
    Thanks, also could you tell me which of these memory sticks are the better pick:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820141166
    OR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145439

But I would reely like to buy the 1 gig and keep 1 256 mb stick in and the other slot with the 1 gig. (If thats possible)
    Thanks for all the help Think!!