Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home gym

home gym

been thinking about starting to hit some weights, but i dont have all that much time. a home gym would help cut some time off the workout.

Ive been looking at this bowflex system Bowflex Blaze

Its their low end system, but it seems it would have enough of what i need.

Anyone use a home gym? Or does anyone seriously contest against it?

Thanks for the help

Banned
    Free weights are the way to go, but I have used Bowflex before, and found it to be a very good workout.

I don't use it as often as I should, but I've got the Bowflex Xtreme and it's a nice machine. I got rid of 90% of my free weights once I got used to the bowflex.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

If you want to buy a bowflex or nordictrak always look for a used one. About a million people a year buy them and then realize they're not going to use them and sell them cheap. Check you local paper.

you will not work out properly at home...too many distractions
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

I'd start out simple with a couple of iron weight dumbells that you can adjust from 10 to 50 pounds. There are a ton of exercises you can do with 2 dumbells and a simple bench. All cheap.

After a couple months of doing the basics, consider buying a home gym or join a gym. This way if you abandon it, you won't have a home gym turned clothes hanger or be paying money to a gym you don't attend.

I'd also recommend getting a book on weightlifting such as Arnold Schwarzenegger Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. It covers everything from diet to technique and programs to follow at different stages of fitness.

I've started up again since the new year with 2 dumbells and have already seen a change in my body and energy levels.
    The more I drink, the less I care.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    you will not work out properly at home...too many distractions
    You must have only visited an all male gym then.....

Take Esto's advice. If your going the Bowflex route, get a used one and save some cash and headache putting it together. If you decide that a home gym isn't working out for you, you can sell it again and not be out much of anything.

I know you see the advice that free weights are the way to go but in the end, it's all still resistance training.

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    You must have only visited an all male gym then.....

no, but when you put the effort to pack a bag take your supplements and drive somewhere you are more apt to keep your eye on the prize and not the pooty
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Waiting in a line to use a machine is fun!

Go home gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    If you want to buy a bowflex or nordictrak always look for a used one. About a million people a year buy them and then realize they're not going to use them and sell them cheap. Check you local paper.

love the feedback so far, thanks, keep it coming....

as for home gym vs a membership, the distractions would probably be at the gym. but more importantly, time is the issue, i believe "packing" for the gym, the drive back and forth, and any waiting time for a particular exercise will be time wasted.

I use to go the gym all the time and it was a pain in the ass, get there have to get changed, wait for every single piece of equipment, drive home all sweaty and nasty.

Been buildin up a home gym and its 100 times better, work out when you want, workout in your boxers if you want. Never have to wait for anything, take the breaks you want. etc etc etc.

[QUOTE=Mutch;1981545]Waiting in a line to use a machine is fun!

QUOTE]

unless you are there with a plan and others you can do in the meantime ... if you have to "wait" on a machine, then you do not have enough excercises and different parts of the body you need to work on
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

[QUOTE=Gixxer;1981833]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutch View Post
    Waiting in a line to use a machine is fun!

QUOTE]

unless you are there with a plan and others you can do in the meantime ... if you have to "wait" on a machine, then you do not have enough excercises and different parts of the body you need to work on
    Um.. Have you ever been to a gym before? 80 percent of the guys there sit on machines talking to girls...

Bottom line if you want to workout at your own pace buy a home gym, if you want to have to wait go to a gym.

Dont argue saying oh if you go there with 20 arm exercises you wont have to wait because guess what, you still will.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Mutch;1982081]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post

Um.. Have you ever been to a gym before? 80 percent of the guys there sit on machines talking to girls...

Bottom line if you want to workout at your own pace buy a home gym, if you want to have to wait go to a gym.

Dont argue saying oh if you go there with 20 arm exercises you wont have to wait because guess what, you still will.
    lol, you been to a gym or just seen one on tv?

They both have their advantages. As a general rule, if your looking to improve your strength, endurance, overall health and look, then a home gym is fine. I'd guess that's what 90% of people want, but you won't get the same motivation as you would at a gym and of course the machines are better and way more diverse.

In my opinion you do get a better work out at a gym, but for most people working out at home is fine, provided you have enough motivation to maintain your training.

I know countless people that start off all gun ho and do great for a month, then get bored or find an excuse to avoid it. Let's face it, there isn't much fun in the workout itself, it's the benefits of the workout we all seek.

No matter where you go, machines will always have line-ups, but if you can't workout because some jackass is loitering on a machine chatting with hotties, find a different gym. And yes I would exercise on a different piece of equipement until the one I wanted to use was free. Never see too many line-ups for the free weights, yet they're the best to use.

Be sure to buy a book to read up on weightlifting. It isn't just grunting and grinding and voila, people should know the fundamentals of what they are doing to their body and how to enhance their results. A very good book ---> Arnold Schwarzenegger Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding.

[QUOTE=Comtrad;1982083]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutch View Post

lol, you been to a gym or just seen one on tv?

Were you trying to quote me or the other guy? As for me yes I went to a gym for abou 6 months. Keep trying to argue when everyone knows Im right

I'm certainly not arguing. I'm sharing my experience on what I know about the topic. monkeyhead asked for some advice and I'm telling what I know.

Dude work out at home or eat 50 fried egg sandwiches a day, I honestly couldn't care less.

its 100% mental. there are distractions everywhere you go.

if youre not dedicated and focused enough to stay on track at home, its only a matter of time before you let bad practice or procrastination ruin the "going to the gym" program.

IMO the biggest help is a workout partner. someone you can rag on when theyre starting to lose motivation, and vice-versa. as long as you have equipment to get a decent workout on your different muscle goups, youre set. its not the location thats building muscle mass/endurance.

all IMO of course. different things work for different people.

*Edit* oh, and back to the original question..... ive always been a fan of free weights. gimma a 350lbs olympic set (with some extra quarters... always need extra quarters), a good bench, a squat rack, and a 10 - 60lbs dumbell set. if i wanna get fancy maybe a preacher curl rack and a curl bar. machines (again, IMO) only really show value when you dont have a partner/spotter.
    Last edited by Faust; 01-24-07 at 07:36 PM.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Gixxer, Mutch, Comtrad:

You guys are a riot!

monkeyhead,

What is it you want to do? Are you looking to strengthen specific areas or is this just gonna be a hobby to "get in shape" (and whatever you define in shape as)?

Personally I like free weights and a simple inexpensive bench w/ a few attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!