Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My browsers are tripping out!! Please help!

***ScrUm***

Question My browsers are tripping out!! Please help!

Ok guys let me give you a run down on what has happened

First of all, I reformatted and when I got on to the net IE would not be as consistant as it has been in the past. After being on the net ( this is after doing all the windows updates) for a couple of minutes, I try to go to any page and my browser tells me that its working and then it says DONE and there will be nothing within the browser window ( blank ) I try to refresh and it refreshs but still nothing within the browser window. I have to close IE and when i re-open it its just fine for a couple of minutes then it starts all over again.

I went through all the IE versions 5, 5.01, 5.5, 5.5B with no luck. Ok so i figure no problem I will use nutscrape and low and behold I get this error message when i try to advance in my surfing The document contained no data. Try again later, or contact the servers admin

Now the really weird part is My downloads befor my reformat would start at 24kbs then jump to 120 and then widdle there way down to 60

Now my downloads start at 10kbs then junp to 426 and widdle down to 100-120

I really like my new downloads but cannot stand the browsers! errr! Is there an explanation to this? any info on this would be greatly appreciated
    TIA

striderf1

hey, when i got winme a similar thing happened. When i would start my downloads they would start at like 600kb/sec and then drop down to 100-300kbs/sec depending on server. But the tradeoff for me whas that IE 5.5 wouldn't scroll correctly and it was slowwwwwwwwwwww. i decided not to mess with it and keep the fast downloads and keep a a messed up IE. when i reformated and i went back to win98, IE got better but download speeds went down. wierd huh?

well about your question: try the brower: Opera, its a really good brower, but it is missing a few things. all in all i think winme and IE (and netscape in your case) don't work well together, see ya

smaier69

hmmmm.... to be honest, my knowledge base for IE is kind of sad. awhile back i was having issues with IE, and switched over to netscape, and have used it ever since (though the new version of netscape has me kind of irritated. not as stable as the older versions i have had).

i have worked with IE to not be totally ignorant, though. are the advanced settings the default settings? you may want to check and see if there are options such as java console or scripting or whatever, and make sure they are enabled.

i will mess around with IE later tonight to see if i can come up with an answer that actually helps.

------------------
    [This message has been edited by smaier69 (Big Surprise!)]

***ScrUm***

Talking

I would appreciate that bro! THNX!

KevinM

I've thought about the problem scrum dude, but I can't seem to figure it out! Grrr...Is there anything you installed, any tweaks or programs recently? A program may be at fault here, who knows. Could be just about anything that's screwing around with your IE. Did you try the "repair IE" setting under add and remove? If all else fails, give your computer to the poor, sell your home and go live in an Omish village.

------------------
    SpeedCorp(spd krp): Your Source For Broadband Information.

Unique In The Broadband Crowd

Storm90

I had the same problem I about a week ago when I redid my computer.So I uninstalled it back to the browers that came with my windows. Then redown loaded it and has been working fine sense then. I figure the frist time it must not have downloaded right. I use 5.01 sp. Don't much care for 5.5. Well anyway I hope this helps you!

TonyT

Just outof curiosity, what program are .html files associated with on your system?

***ScrUm***

Originally posted by TonyT:
    Just outof curiosity, what program are .html files associated with on your system?
    I have no idea what you mean . Can you tell me how to check? Everything should be default. I havent really messed with anything. Well TIA!

TonyT

Well, you said that when you run IE, no pages get viewed. same with NS. That could be due to a conflict between NS & IE both "trying to be" the default web browser.

Rt click an html doc & see if "open with" is on the context menu. If it isn't, the a program is associated with html files already. If not, click the file once, then hold down the shift key while rt clicking & "open with" will be temporarily on the context menu. Associate a program by choosing one from the list, either IE or NS.

Also, after reloading the OS, and then doing Updates, it's best to reboot between updates rather than load em one after the other. Especially updates that modify & overwrite existing system files & dll's.

Run the system file checker utility & see all the altered files you now have after those updates!

Also a key point is to verify that the correct vid drivers got installed. Windows loves to install it's generic drivers from the cd! Both IE & NS are very graphics intensive programs.

Ok..reread your first post & see that pages do load for a short time, so ignore the file association bit.....but it's a useful tip to reassociate any file type quickly!

scrubjohnm

Thumbs up

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ***ScrUm***:
    [B]Ok guys let me give you a run down on what has happened

If you can get it to load you may try herehttp://www.pcpitstop.com/

------------------
    Operates With Pride

***ScrUm***

Question

ok let me tell you were im at with this, I totaly removed netscape i.e. program and reg entrys. Then I went to previous version of IE. After going back to previous ver of IE it still was doing the same thing, so I repaired ie and it was unable to repair it. It found about 15-20 corrupt files and said I needed to setup again. So at this point i did an overinstall of windows and it semmed to work great for about an hour then back to the same ol thing. So at this point I downloaded nutscrape again and it was doing the same thing as IE.

I tried the re-association = no luck

GGGEEEZZZUS! I just saved a shortcut to desktop from IE and it hhas a netscape icon. I held down shift and right clicked" to associate and ther is no "open with" in the menu! man im so confused!

any ideas guys on what I should do next?

***ScrUm***

Angry

I just ran repair again after over-installing windows and this is what i get...

Storm90

Unhappy

Can you return to the version that came with the windows you are running? If so try that. Then download and install the version you want to run. If you can"t You might need to backup what you want and reformat and reinstall windows. I ran into this problem on my son's computer and tried everything I could think of but it did'nt work! Ended up reformatting and reinstalling windows. Thanks to microsoft makeing it a part of windows. It dose cause some strange problems and sometimes hard ones to fix. Hope this helps! Have you tried looking in the version conflict manger to see if the files are there.You can restore them from there ! Just a thought!

[This message has been edited by Storm90 (edited 10-02-2000).]

***ScrUm***

Thx storm, I did the version conflict manager and found a few that were not as recent, so i restored them . I will post anything that happens Thx for the quick responce too

Storm90

Hope that helps! Your welcome! Let me know what the outcome is.

***ScrUm***

That didnt help any storm but thanx for the info. that could really come in handy im sure

I reinstalled 5.5 and then I ran repair from add/remove and I didnt get the error that it was unable to be repaired but, I am still haveing the same problem! errr! I just dont even have a clue! any help would be greatly appreciate !! TIA

Prey521

Hey Scrum, did u get my message on ICQ, I have something that you need baby, LOL, lemme know so that I can hook it up.

TonyT

This is why it's best to go easy on the MS Updates right after an install of windows. Poorly written software will overwrite existing system files rather than having new separate new .dlls, and MS is as guilty of this as the next guy.

You now have major cross referenced .dll's & when calls are made to them from different programs, conflicts will arise. Your best bet is to backup, reformat & load the basic windows OS. Run it that way for a day. Then upgrade to IE5.01 SP1. That version has all of the newest updates for IE that exist presently. Keep Netscape in the treash can!

There's and old saying, if it ain't broke , don't fix it! If the OS works & everything runs OK, hold back on updates, patches etc cause you probably don't need em anyway!

Prey521

There's and old saying, if it ain't broke , don't fix it! If the OS works & everything runs OK, hold back on updates, patches etc cause you probably don't need em anyway!

You must not be a real techy then . Its true though, for newbies, be careful with updates, especially Beta updates. But TonyT's quote just does not hold true from a nerds POV. As soon as I see an updated driver or firmware of any kind, I just gotta have it. But a wise nerd always backs up before anything. "Back up your drive" should be the 11th Commandment.

Storm90

Check all your browers settings and advanced settings in browers properties. This will some time cause the type of problem you are haveing. Other then that I am at a lost. Your best bet would would be reformat and restore. Or run win set up from the dos side and when it ask to backup existing system files say no and it will restore the oringnal browers and you can update from there. Hope this helps Plus you will loose nothing you already have installed!

[This message has been edited by Storm90 (edited 10-07-2000).]