Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable folk (especially Cox)

Certified SG Addict

Question Cable folk (especially Cox)

Since I just hung up after 45 minutes on hold to ask this simple question to Cox directly...

If there isn't a cable outlet on a wall and there isn't one on the adjacent opposite wall, will Cox (or your company) wire one, or will they do it only where it's easy to add it?

Banned
    I don't know about Cox, but Comcast put them where we wanted them for no extra charge.

Comcast will definitly put it wherever you want, and I think cox will too.

Comcast out here would only install on an outside wall. Now that its Time Warner, i dont know.
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

Certified SG Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 64bit View Post
    Comcast out here would only install on an outside wall. Now that its Time Warner, i dont know.
    Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. The only suitable place in my new apartment for a desk/PC area in an inside wall.

They should make the run where ever it is that you want it. I've moved a few times, and between Cablevision and Time Warner, I've never had a problem asking them to make runs to multiple locations.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. The only suitable place in my new apartment for a desk/PC area in an inside wall.
    They did it for me, however the cable just goes across the floor. You have to hide it yourself.

Emerald Triangle looking for EA and some trainwreck!
    You might want to get a letter from the apartments saying that they can relocate outlets and drill. We ask for letters in apartments so that we dont get billed when the tennant moves out and there are new holes. Some apartments dont give a crap but some do. Also when and if they ask for one you dont have to r/s your appointment because we dont wait for you to get a letter.

Certified SG Addict
    I'm not big on wireless, especially for games, so it sounds like I'll be buying a few feet of CAT-5 and tucking it away as best I can, then.

I'm not big on wireless, especially for games, so it sounds like I'll be buying a few feet of CAT-5 and tucking it away as best I can, then.
    Just run it along your baseboard. Prolly less BS that way.
    The more I drink, the less I care.

Certified SG Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sito View Post
    Just run it along your baseboard. Prolly less BS that way.
    There are a lot of bends along the way, so I'm going to need a good length of it. I guess it's a weekend project.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy yourself cable molding, it's cheap and hides the wires just fine.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Banned
    There are a lot of bends along the way, so I'm going to need a good length of it. I guess it's a weekend project.
    http://www.comtradcables.com

We have cable runners that you can put on your baseboard that will blend into the wall pretty well. As well as good Cat5e cables/prices.

http://www.comtradcables.com/Raceway-C496.aspx

^

Also, from what I've seen most inner walls in apartments, condos etc don't have concrete in them so you may be able to drill a hole at some point to shorten the length. If it's an older apartment that may not be the case.
    The more I drink, the less I care.

Quote Originally Posted by Comtrad View Post
    They did it for me, however the cable just goes across the floor. You have to hide it yourself.
    They wanted to do that to us and it would go past a doorway, fortunately my mom is a bitch and called them up and told them to tell the guys working on the house that they were going all through the attic.

as said employee.... our policy is that we will not wire anything new in an apartment building, unless a giant fit is throwed AND unless it is on an outside wall and we have written permission from the owner of the building. Besides fishing the lines inside an apartment is nearly impossible with the walls usually being adjacent to a neighbor or above or below one as well.

A fix might be to run lines along the ceiling / wall joint and hiding them with crown moulding.
    I know you are, but what am I?

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    You might want to get a letter from the apartments saying that they can relocate outlets and drill.
    Bingo

Way back when I used to into Digital Cable/DSL/Phone systems. Private house no problem. When you enter the realm of apartment dwellings or condo's it's a whole other story. Normally, your coax drops are in each room and are home run or daisy chained to each room to a communications closet or panel outside. The owner of the building in most cases do not want holes, wire mold etc. ran throughout the inside/outside of the buildings.

When I was apartment hunting in the past, believe it or not, the location of phone/cable outlets dictated if I signed a lease...or not.

Burke, the cable/telco company will use cable staples along a wall or wall trim, but they still required a letter stating it was okay from the management. If you didn't have a letter, we had to run it neatly on the floor along the wall. Also, if you hire someone to run it inside of a wall, you probably will void your damage deposit if the manager finds out.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    They wanted to do that to us and it would go past a doorway, fortunately my mom is a bitch and called them up and told them to tell the guys working on the house that they were going all through the attic.
    We weren't allowed to run coax/CAT3/CAT5 across doorways on the floor. It was consider a safety hazard and the installation company could be held liable in case of an accident. I'm surpirsed the technician even ran it.

This is why I took digital pictures of my work. The pics, if something was brought up, covered my ass.