Thread: Server Based Network

Server Based Network

I read YeOldeStonecat's guide to setting up a domain based network. What are the advantages of this vs a peer network? Currently my network has no server. Would it be of benefit to set this up? Also how many different os's can you use for the server? I know the article said 2k3 server, any others?
    Joe

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    For an office/business. Since they're more likely to have a server, for the purpose of sharing data, securing access/security on a per user basis, a central place for data storage/access/backup, print sharing, logins, etc.

Not something you'll usually find in a home setup due to price (Window server licening), unless it's a computer geek.

Yeah, besides Server 2003...pretty much the same setup in Server 2000.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    You could also do (almost) the same thing with a Linux based server, it is just more difficult to accomplish.

Why? Well for a typical home user there really is no reason.

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Not something you'll usually find in a home setup due to price (Window server licening), unless it's a computer geek.
    You calling me a geek?

Actually I find having a server very useful for my day to day stuff. Everything is saved on the server (so I really need next to no HD space on my PC and laptop). I have my laptop automatically sync my files (this way everything I have on my server is available if I am away from home). Then if I make any additions/changes on the laptop while working I just power it on and everything is sent over to the server and visa versa. Also lets me run Exchange for my own mail domain (and get it to my Blackberry using the redirector).

The best part though is that I don't care about any particular PC or laptop. If it dies all I need to do is login to another PC that I have and everything is right there for me as if I were using my main PC. Same if I decide I want to build a new PC, all I need to do is install the applications. All of my data and personal settings are stored on the server.

A problem with this though is you come to rely on that server being up and running 24/7. If it fails somehow you have a bit of a problem, and it no longer impacts just a single user. That means you need to be real careful about things like backups and having a plan for a failure. The cool thing about using a true server (server software on server hardware) is that many of the parts are now hot sappable! For instance I have 6 drives in my server in RAID 5 with a hot spare. That means basically if one drive fails it has no effect on anything, the hot spare automatically takes over. Then I can swap out the failed drive easily, with no need to power down the server. It also has a hot spare PSU, which works on the same principle, I can swap them while the server is up and running. And of course I have spares for these critical parts on hand.

Call me paranoid.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikD View Post
    You calling me a geek?

Me too!

And I switch routers/firewalls on an almost monthly basis trying out something new...be it a pre-build router like an RV0 or PIX, or lately...been usually running on various *nix routers like Endian or IPCop.

Permanent VPN tunnel to the office....RD to the office, or when at the office..RD home. Or when on the road...RWW to either.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Can clients still share directories?
    Joe

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joecool169 View Post
    Can clients still share directories?
    You mean in a peer to peer network? Yes they can, but there really isn't the same type of security as in a client-server network. Also the shares will be spread over a few different PCs (or at least can be), rather than a centralized server.

For home use it is usually good enough. If you want to allow someone to have access to your music collection you can share it. If there are some files you want nobody else to see don't share them.

No I mean in a client-server network? I figure prolly not but I thought I would ask.
    Joe

Advanced Member
    Yes, and no. It depends on the policies set by the administrator, but it is techinically possible.

Advanced Member
    It also kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a server. I can't really think of a reason why you might want to have shares on client machines when a server is available.

I do have some in my network at home. Basically on my PC I have a shared drive that I have my server make a backup to. But only the server has access to it. All of the normal data is on the server itself.