Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About Check Writing....

Question Question About Check Writing....

So I received a check for $800+ for an item that I sold on ebay. The check looks legit but where one would sign their name, it says "Deposit Only". I've never seen this before so it caught my attention. I wouldn't send the item out till it FULLY cleared with my bank anyways, but I wanted to see if anyone's ever seen this.

BTW, the seller is from Canada and has been a real PITA. I was auctioning a laptop/docking station combo and he won it. Then he emails me stating that he doesn't want the dock and is gonna sell it to someone else, but wants me to ship it for him. When I told him no, that I will not be doing that, he says that "no where in your auction does it say that you will NOT ship to 2 diff locations" This guy is a true ******* and has been annoying ever since the end of the auction. Then he says that he's going to send the payment on the 15th (auction ended on the 13th), so I told him that that is NOT acceptable since ebay policy states that the buyer must pay with 7 days of auction end, unless buyer/seller come to another agreement, which we didn't. He said he'd pay 2 weeks later because he was waiting for a refund from another auction that went bad. I told him that that was not my problem and that you should NOT make any assumptions about an auction.

Had he been nicer, I would've cut him slack, but he was a prick from the getgo, making demands and whatnot, so screw him. I don't trust him which is why this thing on the check has me thinking twice.

Edit for cliff notes:

Received a check from an ebay item I sold with the words "deposit only" in the check owners endorsement signature sections. Is this legit?
    Last edited by Prey521; 01-14-07 at 10:38 PM.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Sounds like someone is trying to screw you.

well, along time ago ppl used to write that on the check so that only the person for whom the check is written could cash it... and it would go into their bank account instead of someone "finding" the check and cashing it... or something like that
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

But to the best of my knowledge, that was what you (the person who the check was written to) would write on the back, right above or below where you'd sign your name. Having it on the front instead of a signature? That's a new one for me too.

While I can't respond to your question Prey, and won't spend the time to have Google give me an actual answer, I do agree that it's quite suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

While I can't respond to your question Prey, and won't spend the time to have Google give me an actual answer, I do agree that it's quite suspicious.

at least you are honest
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    at least you are honest

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post

Edit for cliff notes:

Received a check from an ebay item I sold with the words "deposit only" in the check owners endorsement signature sections. Is this legit?
    Did he sign his name or just wrote "deposit only." All personal checks must be signed by the account owner.

Check with your bank. I am sure they will not take that check.

I don't accept checks over a internet sale.. I make them go to the post office and write a check to them then send me a money order that way I know its legit. But I prefer paypal.

, I see city living has weakened your street smarts...man, tear that m.f. check up, and toss it in the shredder. Act like you never received it.

ps.-- that's why we sell items here at SG 1st....our money not good enough for you??
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."

Bruce Lee

I've never seen that before ....hell...I've never even heard of that before and I work at a credit union.....How many digits is the routing number along the bottom of teh check?

Has the check been signed by him/her?

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I don't accept checks over a internet sale.. I make them go to the post office and write a check to them then send me a money order that way I know its legit. But I prefer paypal.
    I just deal with paypal transactions only on my eBay sales. I would never accept a check. One consolation though, he doesn't have to ship until the check clears, which is about 10 days.

In his case, the account owner did not sign the dam check.

6th paragraph

Deposits. Deposits to your accounts can be made with a bank teller or at an ATM. It is best to use a deposit slip when making a deposit (pre-printed from your bank or a filled out slip). Always use a deposit slip if depositing cash. To deposit a check made out to you, you must first "endorse" or sign the check on the back. You should also print "For Deposit Only" and your account number after your signature. After you endorse a check, it is as good as cash and can be used by anyone unless you have added the deposit notation and account number.

http://ias.berkeley.edu/siss/practicalinfo/banking.htm

Assembly Required
    canadians

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    6th paragraph

Deposits. Deposits to your accounts can be made with a bank teller or at an ATM. It is best to use a deposit slip when making a deposit (pre-printed from your bank or a filled out slip). Always use a deposit slip if depositing cash. To deposit a check made out to you, you must first "endorse" or sign the check on the back. You should also print "For Deposit Only" and your account number after your signature. After you endorse a check, it is as good as cash and can be used by anyone unless you have added the deposit notation and account number.

http://ias.berkeley.edu/siss/practicalinfo/banking.htm
    The problem is that the account owner who wrote out the check never signed it.

Prey, respond to your thread foo!!!
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

Not everyone uses Paypal, so I also accept MO's/checks. It's a Bank of America check, which is also my bank. Gonna call them up and see what they say.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
    Not everyone uses Paypal, so I also accept MO's/checks. It's a Bank of America check, which is also my bank. Gonna call them up and see what they say.
    You know in all my travels/living in Canada, I never once saw a Bank of America branch. Maybe he has an account open in the states but it smells fishy to me.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

So I took the check to my local BOA and they told me that it is indeed NOT valid because his sig is missing. So I emailed the buyer and told him to either Paypal the $$ or send us USPS Money Order, if he can't do either, then the item will be relisted/Second Chance Offer and neg feedback will be left!!