Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Norton subscription key in registry

Quote Originally Posted by doc1696 View Post
    To respond to gettoside:

1. I'm not sure how the whole posting a link for the KB, but I can explain it and maybe someone who knows that stuff can add it. When you open the control panel, click on the av tab at top, then click the support tab in middle of page, then click on active product. This was the odd ball since 06 didn't work the same as this one. from here it's pretty much self explainitory. I wish that 06 did this, but anywho it's going to be outdated in a year anyways.

2. Yes, when I do find the key...and I will. I will definitely post it here for all the world to know so no-one else will have to go through this agony.

To everyone:

I understand yall are trying to help. The only person I really trashed was rivas with good cause. I did however make it very clear in my first 2 posts that I was only looking for the location of the sub key in the registry ONLY. just to recap on how everything was being repeated..here we go:

- YeOldeStoneCat stated that I should used the tool at his givin link (SymNRT tool. I did see i put rnav tool, miss leading so I take this one..ya got me! I was upset and in a hurry)
    - Yardofstuff then asks if I did a search in the registry for anything with Norton, Symantec, etc (I did cover this in post 1 & 3)
    - Jeremyboycool then shows another link to the SymNRT tool

Ok, so there was only 2 real repeaters here and YeOldeStoneCat did correct me on the tool name, other then that all the other posts I liked. I can understand, Norm, that talk is cheap and alot of people talk smack and really have no clue what their talking about. I didn't mean to come off like that, it just that I was so frustrated with Symantec, and I still am...except for the hot sounding chic on the phone that helped me, that I might have over vented a bit. I'm sure everyone here can understand that considering the who this is really all about...Symantec.

So...I will return with a location of the key after I analize the registry comparison. I make this my mission, then I will add it to the vb script in the SymNRT tool that I have. I might send Symantec an email showing what keys they need to add...maybe. They might tell me something dumb like they "did that on purpose" stuff. Either way, it will be posted here, and if yall wish I will post a link to the revised vb script for the tool with the newly added, and tested, reg keys.
    Welcome to SG! Nice reply.

All in all, I think should be a really good post in the end for figuring out this problem for other peeps in the furture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

To TonyT: I Don't use Norton at home, this headache is only from working on other people's systems at work. I totally feel you on the hatred toward Symantec, only it's not my choice but the customers and sometimes they can be hardheaded and want it anyways.

To rivas: .......ignorance must be bliss.

To Ghettoside: good to be here. At least I know if I post something here, I'll get a response. Maybe not the most legal response..hint *rivas*, but a response non the less.

P.S. just because you own the software doesn't mean you can make copies and give it everyone you know..It's still illegal. Check your Terms and Conditions. this was for you rivas

doc1696, I hope your "bedside manner" is better with your customers than it is with your peers, or you're going to go broke real quick ...

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_R View Post
    doc1696, I hope your "bedside manner" is better with your customers than it is with your peers, or you're going to go broke real quick ...
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    this headache is only from working on other people's systems at work. I totally feel you on the hatred toward Symantec, only it's not my choice but the customers and sometimes they can be hardheaded and want it anyways.
    I know the feeling..it's an uphill battle sometimes. The general public, esp home users, go by the marketing..the advertising, and the OEM installed trials they get roped into. So we (techs) get stuck with working with them. Hard to educate them...that there are superior AV products out there that 1 ) Protect their PC better..and 2 ) Actually allow the PC to run better..smoother, quicker.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

If you have a legit copy of the software, why dont you just do what normal people do and contact Norton support, which they can just help you upgrade and activate

Plus, alot of people ive seen that use Norton get infected with stuff that Norton cant remove and you must do a ton of crap to get rid of it. And its not a comment its a proven fact that Norton bogs your resources alot with 8 separate processes that should be run in 2 or 3 total and take alot less resources

Rivas, its not a good idea to post loop holes in the software on the forums , although most of the people I see using it have bypassed the subscription by using that hole.

But there is a few free AV (ex. AntiVir, Bitdefender 8, etc.) and buyable AV (Kav, NoD32, etc.) that are better than Norton and dont use at all that many resources

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    I know the feeling..it's an uphill battle sometimes. The general public, esp home users, go by the marketing..the advertising, and the OEM installed trials they get roped into. So we (techs) get stuck with working with them. Hard to educate them...that there are superior AV products out there that 1 ) Protect their PC better..and 2 ) Actually allow the PC to run better..smoother, quicker.
    Amen

Sorry to offend you Jamie_R. I missed the post where you were contributing a useful answer. Of course I don't trash mouth the end user, but hey, where else can a tech vent on customers then on a TECH forum. I think the message was received and feedback was given. If we can't vent every once in a while, we'll pop. If your old enough to work and have to deal with this kind of thing then I guess I wouldn't have seen your post, rather a post that's a little more understanding. I'm not sure, I'll check, I think I did say I was venting, meaning the aggravation was not targeted towards the users in this forum, except for rivas I guess..still no respect for ya brotha.

I almost thought that this thread was going to go without some flamer casting an opinion without a solution to the original problem. Good job Jamie!

Sorry to offend you Jamie_R. I missed the post where you were contributing a useful answer. Of course I don't trash mouth the end user, but hey, where else can a tech vent on customers then on a TECH forum. I think the message was received and feedback was given. If we can't vent every once in a while, we'll pop. If your old enough to work and have to deal with this kind of thing then I guess I wouldn't have seen your post, rather a post that's a little more understanding. I'm not sure, I'll check, I think I did say I was venting, meaning the aggravation was not targeted towards the users in this forum, except for rivas I guess..still no respect for ya brotha.

I almost thought that this thread was going to go without some flamer casting an opinion without a solution to the original problem. Good job Jamie!
    oh you didn't offend me son - and believe me, I'm old enough to work ... been in this biz for about 8 years now, and while I do agree with you on your views of some end-users, I'm old enough to suck it up and proceed forward instead of whining about it. (oh, and where I commented "Amen" to 'cat - that was an agreement, not a whine)

by the time I read the thread, it seemed that you had gotten your answers and pretty much trashed everyone who didn't reply in the "format" you liked ... so I posted a little reply to help nudge you back to the real world - on this board we all try to get along (albeit difficult sometimes), and realize that we're all here to help each other. Yeah, we're all pretty informal, but that's a good thing

oh, and by the way - I wouldn't call what I posted a flame - not by a long shot.
    Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

I dont care about your respect douchebag.
    What my brother said is true.

Oh and dont call me brotha, keep it for ghettoside he will love it, his head is still so brown and stinks from putting it into everyone 4ss.

Keep up the good work

- Emiliano Zapata

heh..yall are brothers huh.. Well that just says it all. Oh, and a whole 8 years in huh..ya..your still wet behind the ears. Really, The only reason I respond is because I'm bored right now and this is amusing..kinda lifting the whole hatred toward Symantec..you know..the reason for this post in the first place. I'll have to say that it's now official that there is no forum that I have been to where you can post without arrogant users flaming..yes..you heard right..flaming..the person posting..especially when the whole aggravation I had with Symantec had already calmed down.

This I guess is just extra icing on the cake..sorta a comic relief. Oh, And I'm sure yall will post again seeing how yall are "brothers" and all..I have no doubt..gotta have the last word and all..well, go ahead if you must..I mean your whole 8 years of expertise and all..oh mighty one who's just now feeling the water on your feet..sorta...of the work industry. weee..isn't this fun...already feeling better.

Looking forward to yall's next reply about nothing to do with the topic yet all about the making your point, which incidentally, means nothing to me "Dad" but just plain fun reading.

Whooopie de dooo! - Adam Sandler

heh..yall are brothers huh.. Well that just says it all. Oh, and a whole 8 years in huh..ya..your still wet behind the ears. Really, The only reason I respond is because I'm bored right now and this is amusing..kinda lifting the whole hatred toward Symantec..you know..the reason for this post in the first place. I'll have to say that it's now official that there is no forum that I have been to where you can post without arrogant users flaming..yes..you heard right..flaming..the person posting..especially when the whole aggravation I had with Symantec had already calmed down.

This I guess is just extra icing on the cake..sorta a comic relief. Oh, And I'm sure yall will post again seeing how yall are "brothers" and all..I have no doubt..gotta have the last word and all..well, go ahead if you must..I mean your whole 8 years of expertise and all..oh mighty one who's just now feeling the water on your feet..sorta...of the work industry. weee..isn't this fun...already feeling better.

Looking forward to yall's next reply about nothing to do with the topic yet all about the making your point, which incidentally, means nothing to me "Dad" but just plain fun reading.

I can understand your frustration, I'm sometimes frustrated/pissed as well and it hits SG
    Dude I was just trying to help you, I gave you my key, I dont use NAV, and meaning by I will generate it for you I would give you the right one from the box.I think there are still 300 days left or so.

Yes we are brothers, you said that explains a lot ...let me ask you ...what does it explain ?

Anyway have a good night.

- Emiliano Zapata

and you said I was flaming?

doc, I apologize if I offended you - that was not my intent. This exchange is pointless, and I'm not going to continue it.

Wow....

*note to self....check Norton threads again*

What's up Doc?

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    Wow....

*note to self....check Norton threads again*

What's up Doc?
    Izzo, you should not be posting irrelevant comments in this highly sensitive thread

NAV key in registry

Here it is...the location of the NAV 2006 key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000082\0000001e\0000004a

It is named 'key' and the value is the NAV key.

Enjoy,
    Hawkbat05

Quote Originally Posted by hawkbat05 View Post
    Here it is...the location of the NAV 2006 key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000082\0000001e\0000004a

It is named 'key' and the value is the NAV key.

Enjoy,
    Hawkbat05
    Thanks for sharing that info.

Can anyone confirm this?

btw... Welcome to SG!
    Last edited by ghettoside; 04-04-07 at 06:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

i like chicken

:care:

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    :care:
    Norton has touched your computer...must format...and select a better AV product.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!