Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: question

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    *sigh* oh boy. Thanks Ghettoside. I'll see what I can do.. my burner is cranky and only burns when it feels like it, so I'm not sure I can do all that.. Is getting SP2 really crucial?

better yet, can you come over and do it for me?

I may just end up reinstalling with my recovery cds like I usually do.. I mean thats better than nothing, right?
    yeah, better than nothing.

Imho, I just suspect you've been such a good host for the hackers that your mbr is prolly infected, I dunno maybe even the non-dos partition (that your recovery cd's will access)...

but you cannot selectively wipe with that disc

there's a link to an app that I beleive can wipe partitions selectively... that's what you need here, and an NTFS format of that partition.
    lemme check quick

thought I was going to bed
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

*sigh* oh boy. Thanks Ghettoside. I'll see what I can do.. my burner is cranky and only burns when it feels like it, so I'm not sure I can do all that.. Is getting SP2 really crucial? ...
    Have you ever cleaned the burner?

It could also be related to your rootkits and chit.

http://www.killdisk.com/ The free version.

uh, just dwnld this and the other stuff I mentioned. Just a suggestion

If ya wanna restore, n/p. If ya wanna do a thorough job/clean install I'll help. prolly best as weekend project, they'll likely be a lot of us on the boards. I know I'll have time...

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoside View Post
    yeah, better than nothing.

Imho, I just suspect you've been such a good host for the hackers that your mbr is prolly infected, I dunno maybe even the non-dos partition (that your recovery cd's will access)...

but you cannot selectively wipe with that disc

there's a link to an app that I beleive can wipe partitions selectively... that's what you need here, and an NTFS format of that partition.
    lemme check quick

thought I was going to bed
    you dont have to stay up and help me.. just don't worry about it. I'm just going to reinstall with my recovery disks, and get a new laptop hopefully in a couple months.
    There is security in fearlessness.

you dont have to stay up and help me.. just don't worry about it. I'm just going to reinstall with my recovery disks, and get a new laptop hopefully in a couple months.
    n/p Good Luck. I'd still get that trial of ultra iso (if you don't have nero) and burn Nod, Webroot, etc... handy to have. I dunno if your av will update (whatever came on your PE sys) - the subscription will have to try and renew itself.

Argh! As tired as I feel I can't get my brain to slow down. lol, happens to me all the time- problems sleeping.

I don't like unfinished business!

btw, I'd have done the same if you weren't a female

For your rootkits revealing screenshots I think the first 2 are normal.

Expand the slider so we can see the full paths.

I may just end up reinstalling with my recovery cds like I usually do.. I mean thats better than nothing, right?

I'm just not confident at all that I can do all that stuff without messing it up even more.
    What part are you not confident on?

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    For your rootkits revealing screenshots I think the first 2 are normal.

Expand the slider so we can see the full paths.
    Curious?

The screenshots, you mean they're normal for that Sony PE?

I do clean installs of xpprosp2. I didn't have anything like that last time I ran the revealer. lol, good link too, I'd forgotten about it. I had a couple null entries, but they were ok....

It's been a while since I ran that. Maybe they've improved revealer?

or I just don't remember correctly, but I beleive I'd remember seeing a bunch of chit like that.

What part are you not confident on?

It's really no big deal 9mm, you can do it.

YoS is one of the best guys you could possibly want to help you out.

YoS is one of the best guys you could possibly want to help you out.
    Heh.

Note: When I'm tired, i just wander off to sleep and leave you hanging.

Curious?

The screenshots, you mean they're normal for that Sony PE?

I do clean installs of xpprosp2. I didn't have anything like that last time I ran the revealer. lol, good link too, I'd forgotten about it. I had a couple null entries, but they were ok....

It's been a while since I ran that. Maybe they've improved revealer?

or I just don't remember correctly, but I beleive I'd remember seeing a bunch of chit like that.
    Her first 2 are null entries.

Mozilla cache junk can come up under it sometimes too I think.

Mmmm downloader-buffy.

...Note: When I'm tired, i just wander off to sleep and leave you hanging.
    hey I resemble that remark

Her first 2 are null entries.

Mozilla cache junk can come up under it sometimes too I think.
    Makes sense. I'm always set to clear cache when closing, so no wonder I don't see any of this crap.

I have to close everything down but my av to run the revealer on this box. LMAO, it's killing my rig. and 9mm thinks her lappy is slow...

Imho, do a clean install.
    That's what I've been saying!!! Although, I did say to buy XP Pro, so I guess it evens out.

ghettoside may be right about rootkits viruses making the burner slow. Kind of like when you're at the desktop PC and the CD drive keeps on opening by itself? Oh, yeah, tell-tale sign that you have gremlins in the computer!

Also, trying to do this on the weekend is HIGHLY recommended. That way, if anything goes wrong, you'll have access to this forum and more than the usual numbers of Good Samaritans. Actually, I'm not sure if it ever came up: do you have a second computer that you can use for the Internet? If not, do you have a friend who will let you come over and use his/her PC will you reformat your laptop?

It's always scary the first time; I know I was terrified! "What if this goes wrong? What if that blows up?" Yeah, you'll be biting your nails, but it is easier than one would think. Remember: the first time is always the most difficult. You'll be ok.
    I got double my money cuz holokuasusususatsos quoted me too...
    Destroy racism Protect Net Neutrality

Just a thought: there's a lot of good info here. Would a sticky be in order?

Quote Originally Posted by holokaustos View Post
    That's what I've been saying!!! Although, I did say to buy XP Pro, so I guess it evens out.

ghettoside may be right about rootkits viruses making the burner slow. Kind of like when you're at the desktop PC and the CD drive keeps on opening by itself? Oh, yeah, tell-tale sign that you have gremlins in the computer!

Also, trying to do this on the weekend is HIGHLY recommended. That way, if anything goes wrong, you'll have access to this forum and more than the usual numbers of Good Samaritans. Actually, I'm not sure if it ever came up: do you have a second computer that you can use for the Internet? If not, do you have a friend who will let you come over and use his/her PC will you reformat your laptop?

It's always scary the first time; I know I was terrified! "What if this goes wrong? What if that blows up?" Yeah, you'll be biting your nails, but it is easier than one would think. Remember: the first time is always the most difficult. You'll be ok.
    thank you... it's not my first time reinstalling, but it still makes me nervous. unfortunately I tried this afternoon, and something went really wrong. The laptop works now (to a point) but all my data is gone.. all my photos, four gigs worth of music and videos, photoshop projects I was working on, unfinished stories I was writing, copies of all my programs including Photoshop... so I'm just really bummed right now (and feel like throwing the thing out a window). I do have an oooold old desktop that still works and I can get on the net with it... so worse comes to worse I'll do that. I'm not sure if I'm going to try to reformat again or just leave it (it went through the whole process and then came back exactly the same ). I think I know what happened but.. what does it matter anymore, really.

I really appreciate everyone's help... I think there is just something really screwed up in there somewhere :/

Sorry, I thought this was your first time. My apologies for the assumption.

How did you lose all of your info? I mean, reformating erases everything, so are you talking about a backup area on your second HDD suddenly coming up erased? I'm lost (surprise, surprise), so any clarification would be appreciated!

thank you... it's not my first time reinstalling, but it still makes me nervous. unfortunately I tried this afternoon, and something went really wrong. The laptop works now (to a point) but all my data is gone.. all my photos, four gigs worth of music and videos, photoshop projects I was working on, unfinished stories I was writing, copies of all my programs including Photoshop... so I'm just really bummed right now (and feel like throwing the thing out a window). I do have an oooold old desktop that still works and I can get on the net with it... so worse comes to worse I'll do that. I'm not sure if I'm going to try to reformat again or just leave it (it went through the whole process and then came back exactly the same ). I think I know what happened but.. what does it matter anymore, really.

I really appreciate everyone's help... I think there is just something really screwed up in there somewhere :/
    damn that's too much to lose. I have tons of backups of chops and stuff. I'd be pissed if I lost all that stuff w/o backup.

We have to try and recover your files.

As long as you haven't overwritten every cluster, you can recover whatever has been formatted but not overwritten.

I don't have a recommendation for a freeware recovery app. I know there's been one posted within the last year (big help I know )

9mm, I suggest you start a new thread- looking for data recovery app. freeware. I doubt I can help much tonite and I am supposed to go out tomorry right after work. Plenty of experts here.

What happened to the backups I recommended? backed up on the slave hdd and got wiped as holokaustos theorized?

What happened- period? I thought you were gonna recovery disc it?

That would be the first time I'd heard of a recovery wiping a slave, if that's what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by holokaustos View Post
    Sorry, I thought this was your first time. My apologies for the assumption.

How did you lose all of your info? I mean, reformating erases everything, so are you talking about a backup area on your second HDD suddenly coming up erased? I'm lost (surprise, surprise), so any clarification would be appreciated!
    well, I had forgotten that I still had my external drive plugged in.. bought it a few months ago and put everything on there - pics, music, documents ect, so that it would be safe. My laptop had been acting up and I had a feeling one day it was just going to die on me, and I didn't want to lose my stuff.

So, since I've done this before, I knew that in the beginning it asks you which drive you want to format, and lets you choose. So I put the disk in and chose C. I then remembered I had my X drive plugged in, but I figured - it's asking me which drive to do this too, so what should be the problem?

well...went through the whole process, it reboots..and up comes my screensaver from before and my desktop looks exactly the same, and I'm like, what? so I start checking stuff.. I go to my X drive, and everything that was on there before is gone, and in it's place are all the OS files. I don't understand why it happened, but.. it did. I looked at C and it was the same as before - nothing got touched.

Ghettoside - I mentioned earlier that my laptop only burns disks when it feels like it - and it feels like it rarely, and it didn't this afternoon. I decided to just reinstall like I've done three times before without problem - I figured that would be better than nothing..and all mys tuff was on the X drive - I thought it was safe