Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: question

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    I don't have an antivirus program either.
    You've gotta be ********ting me
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoside View Post
    You've gotta be ********ting me
    He's running windows 98!

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    MS XP SP1
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
    512 MB RAM
    Mobility Radeon 7500

I'm getting a new laptop soon but I'm afraid I'll be stuck with this one for probably two more months
    You've got 3 times the CPU in raw mhz alone, not to mention hyperthreading capability and 2x the RAM (and no doubt a faster FSB!) than I have.

I see the bit about no anti-virus. That's you're problem. You goof!

There are those here that like AVG, and those who don't. I'm among those who don't. But that would still be better than nothing.

Imho, Nod32 has the lightest footprint on resources and is very effective. Stonecat inspired me to try Nod to replace Norton. I'll never use Norton again. Huge difference in free resources and hence more responsive box.

The $40 for Nod is well worth the $. if nothing else though, put something on. I don't know of a freeware anti-virus that I'd recommend, I used to like Avira Anti-Vir for a few years, but last year it started to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by holokaustos View Post
    Photoshop on a laptop? Isn't that pushing it a bit?
    No.

It's a matter of cpu and ram.

Setting the PS scratch disc to a non-OS hdd helps because it's basically a swap file. You already have the win swap file on your OS hdd, so moving the PS scratch disc to the slave speeds you up. The hdd head can only be in one place at one time, unless you're running a SCSI drive. Make sense?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    I don't have an antivirus program either.
    Yeah but there's not many bugs out for Windows 95 anymore.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    He's running windows 98!
    OMFG

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Yeah but there's not many bugs out for Windows 95 anymore.

No.

It's a matter of cpu and ram.

Setting the PS scratch disc to a non-OS hdd helps because it's basically a swap file. You already have the win swap file on your OS hdd, so moving the PS scratch disc to the slave speeds you up. The hdd head can only be in one place at one time, unless you're running a SCSI drive. Make sense?
    Makes perfect sense and I agree. But does her laptop have two hard drives to allow her to do that?

My home-built desktop has a 3.2GHz P4, with HT enabled, and 1 GB of RAM. PS can still max it out if I run too many programs at the same time, so that's why I was thinking those laptop specs were a tad low.
    I got double my money cuz holokuasusususatsos quoted me too...
    Destroy racism Protect Net Neutrality

just use paint.net or the gimp, adobe makes nice things that run slow as ****, they cant even make a PDF reader that reads PDFs fast and its their own format.

just use paint.net or the gimp, adobe makes nice things that run slow as ****, they cant even make a PDF reader that reads PDFs fast and its their own format.
    I got double my money cuz holokuasusususatsos quoted me too...
    Destroy racism Protect Net Neutrality

You've got 3 times the CPU in raw mhz alone, not to mention hyperthreading capability and 2x the RAM (and no doubt a faster FSB!) than I have.

I see the bit about no anti-virus. That's you're problem. You goof!

There are those here that like AVG, and those who don't. I'm among those who don't. But that would still be better than nothing.

Imho, Nod32 has the lightest footprint on resources and is very effective. Stonecat inspired me to try Nod to replace Norton. I'll never use Norton again. Huge difference in free resources and hence more responsive box.

The $40 for Nod is well worth the $. if nothing else though, put something on. I don't know of a freeware anti-virus that I'd recommend, I used to like Avira Anti-Vir for a few years, but last year it started to suck.
    yeah, I just never got around to it, partially cos I didnt know which to get. I've gotten AVG and am running it now, and will look into Nod.

do you plan to get a new puter anytime soon?

My laptop - the only thing really wrong with it (aside from the fact that it overheats (although I got a laptop cooling pad and that doesnt happen anymore) and that the keyboard doesnt work (I use an external one) is that it's just slowed down SO much over the past couple years. Hopefully its a virus that I can find and get rid of.

PS - I've re-installed the whole OS three times in the last three years. I don't know where the discs are anymore - I could try to find them... reinstalling always makes me so nervous tho - I'm always afraid something's going to go wrong and it's not going to work anymore when I'm done.

I do have two hard drives - three actually - two on my laptop and an external drive too. I've changed the scratch disk so it's on D instead of C - will see if that makes a difference.
    There is security in fearlessness.

Quote Originally Posted by holokaustos View Post
    Its true.

Adobe Acrobat reader load time: You childhood + 5 hours

Foxit reader: 2.7 seconds, its like a flippin Enzo!

How do I get rid of unwanted stuff at startup? I forgot where to go for that. It seems like there's a lot of crap I could get rid of...

Start > Run > msconfig [enter]

Also its in the advanced section of spybot

could anyone help me with this? I have a general idea what needs to stay, but does anything jump out as needing to go?

PS - I ran a scan with AVG, it found five "threats", mostly trojans, and got rid of them. I then got Nod and installed it - haven't scanned with it yet though. changed the Photoshop scratch disk too, and I daresay things are moving a bit faster

Uninstall zone alarm
    uncheck quicktime

yeah, I just never got around to it, partially cos I didnt know which to get. I've gotten AVG and am running it now, and will look into Nod.

do you plan to get a new puter anytime soon?

My laptop - the only thing really wrong with it (aside from the fact that it overheats (although I got a laptop cooling pad and that doesnt happen anymore) and that the keyboard doesnt work (I use an external one) is that it's just slowed down SO much over the past couple years. Hopefully its a virus that I can find and get rid of.

PS - I've re-installed the whole OS three times in the last three years. I don't know where the discs are anymore - I could try to find them... reinstalling always makes me so nervous tho - I'm always afraid something's going to go wrong and it's not going to work anymore when I'm done.

I do have two hard drives - three actually - two on my laptop and an external drive too. I've changed the scratch disk so it's on D instead of C - will see if that makes a difference.
    I strongly suggest do an online scan too, I don't have a lot of confidence in free AVG.

Online scan links:

Symantec

Housecall Trendmicro

Bit Defender
    You need IE4 at least to use Bit Defender's online scan

There's no doubt your problems are viral. Your lappy should be better soon. Defrag again after you fix everything.

Have confidence in yourself, reinstalling is not a big deal and you can do it easily. If you have problems you can always get help at SG. XP is a pretty easy install, not like the win98 days and driver issues and IRQ conflicts on install...

Moving the scratch drive will help, but the biggest improvement will come from cleaning the viral crap off your rig.

yes, upgrading is one of my top goals. I lost 2- P4 class boxes last year. This box was j/p'd. AOpen AX6BC-EZ... originally a Slot 1 P2 @ 400 Mhz. I j/p'd a P3 cpu, flashed the BIOS to add support for the coppermine CPU, and then went to PC133 so I could O/C the rig. It's stable, pretty mild O/C.

ps: Imho, Zone Alarm is a crappy resource hog.

could anyone help me with this? I have a general idea what needs to stay, but does anything jump out as needing to go?

PS - I ran a scan with AVG, it found five "threats", mostly trojans, and got rid of them. I then got Nod and installed it - haven't scanned with it yet though. changed the Photoshop scratch disk too, and I daresay things are moving a bit faster

Also pick an antivirus, dont have them all installed at once.

I strongly suggest do an online scan too, I don't have a lot of confidence in free AVG.

Online scan links:

Symantec

Housecall Trendmicro

Bit Defender
    You need IE4 at least to use Bit Defender's online scan

There's no doubt your problems are viral. Your lappy should be better soon. Defrag again after you fix everything.

Have confidence in yourself, reinstalling is not a big deal and you can do it easily. If you have problems you can always get help at SG. XP is a pretty easy install, not like the win98 days and driver issues and IRQ conflicts on install...

Moving the scratch drive will help, but the biggest improvement will come from cleaning the viral crap off your rig.

yes, upgrading is one of my top goals. I lost 2- P4 class boxes last year. This box was j/p'd. AOpen AX6BC-EZ... originally a Slot 1 P2 @ 400 Mhz. I j/p'd a P3 cpu, flashed the BIOS to add support for the coppermine CPU, and then went to PC133 so I could O/C the rig. It's stable, pretty mild O/C.

ps: Imho, Zone Alarm is a crappy resource hog.
    I'm scanning with Nod right now - if I do that do I still need to do an online scan? all the online scanning sites I've tried just tell you you've got a bunch of viruses, but "for 39.95 you can download our program and get rid of them!" lol.. I don't want to scan if it's not going to give me a way to get rid of any problems found..

PS thank you for all your help

YardofStuf - I've uninstalled AVG and am going with Nod