Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: question

The log looks good to me 9mm.

not sure why the win script host is running unless it's cuz of installing something adobe. It looks like you installed something adobe and haven't rebooted yet.

if you're not using ipod get rid of it
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

same for itunes helper

lots of sony crap running there... ugh!!!

but looks ok. You can kill the gamma loader...

O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoside View Post
    Services>IMAPI CD Burning COM service

Turn that service on and set it to automatic. reboot (a habit I have) .

Then let me know if you can burn.

IMAPI Elder Geek link

Are you using the native burning features?

btw, if IMAPI is not on, Ultra ISO will have problems burning.
    BUMP

?

The log looks good to me 9mm.

not sure why the win script host is running unless it's cuz of installing something adobe. It looks like you installed something adobe and haven't rebooted yet.

if you're not using ipod get rid of it
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

same for itunes helper

lots of sony crap running there... ugh!!!

but looks ok. You can kill the gamma loader...

O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = ?

thank you.. I was wondering about the Sony crap too - there's so much of it. especially this stuff:

O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (Application) (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-AppServer) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Music Server\SSSvr.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-AppServer /DisplayName="VAIO Media Music Server (Application) (file missing)
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-HTTP) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\sv_httpd.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-HTTP /RegRoot="Software\Sony Corporation\VAIO Media Platform\2.0" /RegExt="Applications\MusicServer\HTTP (file missing)
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (Application) (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-AppServer) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Sony\Photo Server 20\appsrv\PicAppSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-HTTP) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\SV_Httpd.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-HTTP /RegRoot="Software\Sony Corporation\VAIO Media Platform\2.0" /RegExt="\Applications\PhotoServer\HTTP (file missing)
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe

I dont understand what that stuff is doing, or why it's necessary. "vaio media photo server".. no clue what that is. you dont think I could get rid of that stuff?

re your bumped post, will do that in a bit and let you know what happens
    There is security in fearlessness.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    thank you.. I was wondering about the Sony crap too - there's so much of it. especially this stuff:

O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (Application) (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-AppServer) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Music Server\SSSvr.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-AppServer /DisplayName="VAIO Media Music Server (Application) (file missing)
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-HTTP) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\sv_httpd.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-HTTP /RegRoot="Software\Sony Corporation\VAIO Media Platform\2.0" /RegExt="Applications\MusicServer\HTTP (file missing)
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (Application) (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-AppServer) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Sony\Photo Server 20\appsrv\PicAppSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-HTTP) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\SV_Httpd.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-HTTP /RegRoot="Software\Sony Corporation\VAIO Media Platform\2.0" /RegExt="\Applications\PhotoServer\HTTP (file missing)
    O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe

I dont understand what that stuff is doing, or why it's necessary. "vaio media photo server".. no clue what that is. you dont think I could get rid of that stuff?

re your bumped post, will do that in a bit and let you know what happens
    Yeah, that's why I always try to do a clean install, using just the basics: XP and drivers. That way I can control exactly what goes on my system and what stays off. It affords me the luxury of not having to worry about some Dell or Sony or HP crap jamming up my system.

One thing I hate about the above-named laptops is their use of partitioning your HDD to store a backup of Windows, instead of sending you a disc. I absolutely hate it! It may be fine for the average user, but if you have even a little bit of experience with computers, it's aggravating as hell.

HijackThis does look ok, but that would be expected, considering you just reinstalled everything.

Please d/l SP2! It would be best to do that now, while the laptop is still in 'virgin' territory (with little installed on it), so as to see if there are any conflicts with SP2 and the software currently there. It's much easier to narrow down that conflict in the beginning, than to install SP2 in about six months, then trying to find out exactly why something what wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    I got double my money cuz holokuasusususatsos quoted me too...
    Destroy racism Protect Net Neutrality

There is no point in cleaning up this system if you're not going to install SP2. SP2 is a BIG fix, thats why its there, there is no reason to hold off doing it.

There is no point in cleaning up this system if you're not going to install SP2. SP2 is a BIG fix, thats why its there, there is no reason to hold off doing it.
    Honestly, I agree with him, but I really have nothing to add. I just wanted to see YoS's BIIIIIG letters again!

We've tried convincing 9mm to upgrade to SP2. I don't believe there's much more we can say to sway her.

lol YoS, I could see your words clearly all the way in Chicago. I don't recall ever seeing you shout before...

I thought 9mm had decided to just recover the PE from the non-dos and buy a new lappy in a few months.

It looks like 9mm needs some hands on experience anyway. Maybe cleaning the PE will give 9mm the confidence to do the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    ... I dont understand what that stuff is doing, or why it's necessary. "vaio media photo server".. no clue what that is. you dont think I could get rid of that stuff?
    That bs is part of your PE OS. You could try removing them from startup. Warning! It may cause problems to remove that crap, it's part of your PE.

Give it a whirl?

Imho, if you can handle removing that Sony crap, you can handle upgrading to SP2.

Quote Originally Posted by holokaustos View Post
    Yeah, that's why I always try to do a clean install, using just the basics: XP and drivers. That way I can control exactly what goes on my system and what stays off. It affords me the luxury of not having to worry about some Dell or Sony or HP crap jamming up my system. ...
    PE sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by holokaustos View Post
    ...One thing I hate about the above-named laptops is their use of partitioning your HDD to store a backup of Windows, instead of sending you a disc. I absolutely hate it! It may be fine for the average user, but if you have even a little bit of experience with computers, it's aggravating as hell. ...
    The days of buying a new pc or lappy and getting copies of the OS and the usual sw are gone.

I don't recall ever seeing you shout before...
    I wasn't shouting, I just wanted her to read my **** before anyone eles, I got double my money cuz holokuasusususatsos quoted me too.

The good news is that her new lappy will have SP2 on it.

LOL! OMG, that's too funny!!! I'm so used to the name, I sometimes forget how it must be to people who aren't used to it!

Congrats, YoS: Signature #2!

Okay, I'm ashamed to say it, but help me here, because I'm having a brain fart:

PE = Preinstalled Environment, right?
    Last edited by holokaustos; 01-20-07 at 12:18 AM.

Oh for god sakes 1 sig quote is bad enough, pick one!

Done!

Besides, it makes me laugh more than the Adobe one...

Calm down. If you don't want to assist me because I'm not installing SP2, that's fine - why bother even coming into the thread? It's my choice in the end, isn't it?

Ghettoside is righht, I decided to simply reinstall the OS, I installed Nod and the other security stuff I was advised to, and in a few months I'll be getting a new laptop. After that, what happens to this one is up in the air. I do know someone who knows all about computers who might be able to really fix it for me, but I see him rarely, and we haven't talked in months, so I'm not going to call up and be like "hey, hows the weather? btw, will you come over and spend six hours fixing my laptop for me?". If and when I run into him (which I probably will eventually) I'll ask him about it... Although unless I can fix the overheating problem I don't really see a point in spending a bunch of time fixing it. The laptop cooling pad only worked for so long, then it started overheating again even tho I had it on , so I'm back to having the fan on behind it too.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's help in this thread However, I don't appreciate being yelled at just because I choose not to install service pack 2 (and it makes me even less inclined to install it, to be honest).

Ghettoside - I think I'll wait on trying to remove that stuff til I have my new laptop. I'd hate to remove something and then it doesn't even boot up and - eek - then I'd have to go to my ancient desktop that was built in 1908.

The good news is I'm getting my programs back, my computer is running much faster and smoother since the reinstall, and my lovely friends are uploading some songs and video for me so I can start putting my music library back together again

I am calm, if your not installing SP2, then basically your all set as is, just repeat the reinstall if you need to between now and when you get your new one.

ya, why bother installing SP2, i mean, it seems easier to try for like a week to fix your system and ignore the advice of people who know.

unless you don't have a legit copy of XP, then that could explain a few things....

good luck

i'm confused as to why she wouldn't want to install it anyway...did one of her friends tell her bill gates would come out of her monitor?

it's her prerogative, she'll be doing this all over again in 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Amro View Post
    i'm confused as to why she wouldn't want to install it anyway...did one of her friends tell her bill gates would come out of her monitor?
    On an early page she mentioned reading about it causing problems when it first came out so she didnt install it. Accurate in the begining, but now its solid unless the system is adware/spyware infested.

On an early page she mentioned reading about it causing problems when it first came out so she didnt install it. Accurate in the begining, but now its solid unless the system is adware/spyware infested.
    It only caused issues for crappily written software.

I wouldn't TOUCH XP w/ out SP2 installed. You might as well put your laptop in a blender.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    ya, why bother installing SP2, i mean, it seems easier to try for like a week to fix your system and ignore the advice of people who know.

unless you don't have a legit copy of XP, then that could explain a few things....

good luck
    wow... people are really catty around here. You know what? I think I'm done with this thread.

Thank you again to the people who offered help without sarcastic comments.

Odd that she would have a pirated copy being that its a laptop and she has the sony crap stuff installed after a reformat.

In case that is the issue though:
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/

SP2 can be had still.

9mm, you may not like the sarcasm but you didnt seem to pay much attention to the issue until it began.