Thread: HD Failed, Need Help

Unhappy HD Failed, Need Help

Guys I really need some help.

This morning, I was just checking my email when a tooltip came up outta nowhere that said "Delayed Write Failure D:\MFT" or whatever. I've seen this before and it usually means your HD is either taking a dump or will take a dump shortly. Last time my BIOS even told me that one of my drives was failing and I quickly backed it up and got lucky.

This time is different. I immedietely rebooted my machine, and come to find out, it wouldnt boot back up. When I pulled out my D drive, my PC booted up fine. So obviously my D drive is jacked up. I've tried countless times hooking it up as a secondary on other computers, trying to get into windows so I can at least copy over my data and preserve it. Mostly just my MP3's, which was thousands.

Any advice here or am I screwed on getting those back. Awhile back, I did make a backup of some of those MP3's so I can save half of them, but the backup set is old...

Any ideas!??! I'm in great need here.

The freezer trick is always worth a shot, but it sounds like the disk doesn't allow your pc to post (if I'm reading correctly), so it's a long shot at best. Put the drive in a plastic zip lock bag, put that in a grocery bag (plastic as well) and freeze it for a few hours, then hook it back up and try it. I suggest hanging it out of your PC in case of condensation issues.

Never knew about that trick! Thanks alot...Gonna try it and pray!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174
    Here take a look at this.
    I have found the best way to recover lost data on a bad drive is with a hard drive enclosure lets you hook any hard drive into usb and bypass alot of problems, also some hd manufacturers have online utility that you can use to check a drive. Also if windows does not see the drive as a ide device It might see it as a usb mass storage device. I have used an enclosure to fix 4 drives that windows did not detected on ide. I have not been very lucky finding a cheap or fee data recovery program. Never heard of the freezer trick Amro hows it work?

p.s. enclosures run about 40$
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

can I get an enclosure from like tigerdirect?

Also I already froze the HD..and took it out. Because of condensation that already formed...is it possible some components got wet already and messed it up even more? Should I bother with an enclosure?

I have an external 120 drive thats in an enclosure. Wonder if that would work? Cant figure out how to take it apart though

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by chugger93 View Post

Also I already froze the HD..and took it out. Because of condensation that already formed...is it possible some components got wet already and messed it up even more? Should I bother with an enclosure?
    I've used that trick many times...it's worked a couple of times. You need to leave it in the freezer for a good 1/2 day..so it gets cold in the core. Yes it's going to get wet as it warms up...but the drive it shot anyways. As it spins..it warms up quickly inside..so if the trick works for you..you need to work fast to retrieve data before it locks up again.

This trick sometimes works if you had a physical failure of the drive such as the armature or stuck bearings. When metal gets cold, it shrinks. It doesn't work for damage to the platters, or hosed fat tables or blown circuit boards. (there are many ways drives can fail).
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Well, the HD is in my freezer for the 2nd time (didnt work the first time). I ordered an enclosure for 30 bucks, so when it comes in, in 2 days I will take the HD from the freezer, hook it up to the enclosure and use it via USB. Pray that it works!

Or buy an enclosure with a really long cable/cables and leave the drive in the freezer while using it!?!!

Should take a bit longer to start warming up /condensing.....