Thread: Best Anti-virus Program

Best Anti-virus Program

I would like to know if there is a concensus of opinion on which anti-virus program (s) is the best one to buy. I am currently using the free McAfee program provide by Comcast. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Kaspersky, NOD32 or Bitdefender. Can't go wrong with any of them, and you will be amazed and how much better your pc will run without McAfee.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post
    Kaspersky, NOD32 or Bitdefender. Can't go wrong with any of them, and you will be amazed and how much better your pc will run without McAfee.

I use and became a reseller for NOD32....however..of the above three...whichever you choose...you're in good hands. Those are the top 3 IMO. Kapersky and NOD32....I hold quite equal..it's like they share the top spot.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Another vote for NOD32. Ever since I heard about here a while back. I use nothing else.
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

I use nod32, if you're running nod32 or KAV your good.

Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post

I took your advice and downloaded a 30 day trial of Nod32. It really isn't user-friendly. When it had finished loading, there was no icon on the desktop. I had to search for the executable program and found one named Nod32.exe. When I ran it, it scanned hundreds of files, all of which it reported "error opening file, file locked [4]". Also, there was no indication as to what it found on scanning. Am missing something?

After an install you have to reboot and the icon will be in your start menu and system tray.

EDIT: that file locked thing is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch5869 View Post
    I took your advice and downloaded a 30 day trial of Nod32. It really isn't user-friendly. When it had finished loading, there was no icon on the desktop. I had to search for the executable program and found one named Nod32.exe. When I ran it, it scanned hundreds of files, all of which it reported "error opening file, file locked [4]". Also, there was no indication as to what it found on scanning. Am missing something?
    Default settings are good. Yeah it doesn't smatter your PC with tons of icons and different areas to go..it's a good minimalist program, get to it via the Control Center in the systray. That's where you work all the modules.

If you want to roll up your sleeves and get into the program more..here's a good step by step install/configure guide. Else...it's all automatic, let it roll and quietly do it's thing.
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

It will show files that it could not open...such as pagefile.sys and some operating system files. ALL antivirus programs cannot get to those files...it's just..they hide it.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    After an install you have to reboot and the icon will be in your start menu and system tray.

EDIT: that file locked thing is normal.
    I did reboot and it wasn't there. What about the fact that the program did not give any kind of report after scanning?

Sophos.

Thats the report, what are you looking for?

Sounds like when you installed it and it walks you through the steps you didnt have it automatically start.

You have no Icon for it in the system tray? Should have the Control Center Icon there. And from there you can turn on AMON and IMON

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    ...Sounds like when you installed it and it walks you through the steps you didnt have it automatically start.

You have no Icon for it in the system tray? Should have the Control Center Icon there. And from there you can turn on AMON and IMON
    Sounds that way to me too.

Reinstall Nod, I've done that before on my bud's kid's box. During the install, make sure you set Nod to start automatically at win startup.

I think the Nod interface is very straightfoward. Nod is very light on sys resources yet highly effective. Stonecat inspired me to try it in place of Norton. I'll never go back to Symantec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Watch5869 View Post
    I did reboot and it wasn't there. What about the fact that the program did not give any kind of report after scanning?
    ???

What "fact" of no report, it gives a report after a system scan, and it has 3x constantly kept logs for updates and all components, right in the control center.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

No connection is the best protection :P It is amazing how long a pc can run when not connected to the net. I use AVG my not be the best but it has some redeeming charisters it is free , it is not norton , it is not mcafee and it so simple even my boss understands it.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking