Thread: VPN Setup for WRT54gr Linksys Router

VPN Setup for WRT54gr Linksys Router

I’m a novice of router setups and have been on the phone with the Linksys technical support for over 4 hours, and still I’m unable to link to my employer’s office via VPN when using my WRT54GR router.

I’m using Windows XP Home Edition on my HP Laptop with SP2. Currently I’m able to connect to my employer’s server via a VPN client (i.e. using StoneGate Client version 2.6.2.823) when plugging the cable directly into my laptop. However, if I try to connect via the router the connection times out (i.e. internet IE times out), even though the VPN connection is established. Connecting to the internet (e.g. yahoo) is not a problem. The browser I’m using is MS Explorer.

Any constructive help in this area would be greatly appreciated, bearing in mind that I’m a novice.

The issue may be PPTP passthru on your router not working correctly. Have you tried to see if there is a firmware upgrade for it?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Heya Doc!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doclarge View Post
    The issue may be PPTP passthru on your router not working correctly. Have you tried to see if there is a firmware upgrade for it?
    I downloaded version 1.1. from the linksys site. This was the highest version I was able to downloaded for the UAE. If you have or know where I can get a higher version of the firmware, please let me know.
    Thanks

Thanks for you reply. I have loaded down version 1.1 of firmware from Linksys.com, which is the highest version available for the UAE. If you think this is a too lower version please direct me as to where I may find a later version.