Thread: Home Network problem.

Home Network problem.

I have three computers networked in my basement and I need to connect my PC upstairs to the network in the basement. I have a CAT 5e running up the wall to the room upstairs. I have a switch on both ends of the cable running upstairs. however I am not getting a signal to the upstairs switch. The cable going upstairs is brand new so no problems with wiring. How far apart can you hook two switches? Is there anything I may be overlooking?

Does one switch have an uplink port? Because I believe one end of the cable would need to be plugged in to the uplink port the other regular. And I think the max distance for cable is 300ft? I dunno someone may have to correct me on that.
    Joe

Yeah one of them does. the uplink is for using a patch cable. otherwise u use a crossover.

Problem Solved. I had a messed up wall jack.

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GamerTech View Post
    Yeah one of them does. the uplink is for using a patch cable. otherwise u use a crossover.
    Not exactly. On a switch a port is a port. Uplink is just a way to differentiate the ports, most likely that have a higher bandwidth. A straight through patch cable is for connecting two different devices, so say a switch to a router. A crossover cable is for connecting like devices, say two switches.

Now most modern consumer switches actually auto sense, so cable type isn't as important. They will actually switch the pairs being used to match the cable that you use.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikD View Post
    Not exactly. On a switch a port is a port. Uplink is just a way to differentiate the ports, most likely that have a higher bandwidth. A straight through patch cable is for connecting two different devices, so say a switch to a router. A crossover cable is for connecting like devices, say two switches.

Now most modern consumer switches actually auto sense, so cable type isn't as important. They will actually switch the pairs being used to match the cable that you use.
    Yeah thats right. I remember learning that in one of my computer classes at college. I just forgot. I didnt know about the auto sensing though. Thanks for correcting me.