Thread: I need help with my wireless network...lost and stuck!

I need help with my wireless network...lost and stuck!

I have a networking issue at home I need to fix. I hope that maybe someone can help me.

Two computers. One has a non-wireless network PCI card that runs to the wireless router. The router runs to the cable modem. The second computer is connected to the wireless router via a wireless USB adapter.

Both computers are running XP SP2. Both computers have the default XP firewall enabled, which do allow exceptions.

Both computers have a unique name and the same workgroup named MSHOME. They both also have file sharing turned on.

The computer that is connected to the router via wireless is on a secured connection.

Both computers can connect to the internet, one hardwired the other wireless.

Here is my main issue. They both have access to the router. They both are internet enabled. However, the two computers are unable to connect to each other. As in, I am unable to go to the network neighborhood on one computer and view the other computer and vise versa.

I have ran the network setup wizard numerous times with no luck making them talk to each other.

I am able to use the hardwired computer to connect thru remote desktop to the wireless computer but I cannot get the files to crossover from the remote desktop to the physical desktop.

I am not sure if you have any advice at all or not. What am I doing wrong or what steps have I not taken yet?

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Larry B.

Hi Larry, forget the networking wizard, it sucks. Go the control panel - network connections - and select your connection, right click on it and select properties, then select internet protocol - properties - advanced - and make sure netbios over tcp/ip is enabled, do this on both pcs. Now go to each pc and select the folders you want to share and share them. Once they are shared go to my network places - entire network - microsoft windows network - and see if you see your workgroup there, you should see MSHOME, click on it and you should see each pc.

Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post
    Hi Larry, forget the networking wizard, it sucks. Go the control panel - network connections - and select your connection, right click on it and select properties, then select internet protocol - properties - advanced - and make sure netbios over tcp/ip is enabled, do this on both pcs. Now go to each pc and select the folders you want to share and share them. Once they are shared go to my network places - entire network - microsoft windows network - and see if you see your workgroup there, you should see MSHOME, click on it and you should see each pc.

I have a desktop & laptop connected wirelessly by router to my modem. Laptop can't ping the desktop, and doesn't see it in the workgroup. Desktop can ping the laptop but can't connect to the local home network, laptop can connect to local home network. Running XP Pro on desktop XP home on laptop.
    I'm about to tear out the remain bits of my hair.
    Last edited by Ridgeroader; 02-07-07 at 02:15 PM. Reason: added additional info