Thread: major malfunction, please help

bartjones

Post major malfunction, please help

I've got a major problem and I'm lost. Last evening while playing around with an AVI editing program I believe I inadvertenly deleted my video drivers. This may be a misdiagnosis but the display is very bizarre. The screen and icons are a new,lighter color aand neither WMP7 nor Real Player displays any video. WMP7 launches but the outline of the player is all fuzzy and wierd looking. When I go into My Computer, Properties, Performance it tells me I'm in something called "compatibility mode". The upshot of this message seems to be that Windows can't find something it needs so both my drives (partitioned) are running in DOS mode. In addition Windows Explorer cannot see my CDROM so I can't use the CD with the drivers to reload them if thats the problem. Lastly, I now have two "My Computer" icons on the desktop where I only had one before. Any ideas on what it is I f***ed up here. I'm feeling really, really stupid at this moment. Thanks.

RoundEye

Do you have any yellow ! or red X in the device manager?

------------------
    It's never too fast!

knicks

First off ,don't feel stupid, everyone needs help one time or another.
    Boot into DOS and type scanreg /restore, this will give you a list of dates for your last 5 successful boots. I would use one of the earliest boots possible.
    Have you tried booting into SAFE MODE with networking support. If you can get into SAFE MODE , see if you can download the drivers you need.

If this doesn't work, give us more details on what is going on so we can help further.

KNICKS

------------------

Storm90

Smile

If you have tried restore your reg and that don't work. Sounds Like you deleted more then video drivers. You might try running a reset up on windows and see if this helps. Just a thought. I would hope restoreing the reg would help. but I have ran into problems with friends computers haveing problems like yours were I either just reset up windows and that would work. Or in the end had to reformatt and restore. I hope for least problem for you goodluck!

bartjones

I'm reading your post from work but I'll be home in an hour and will try your suggestions then. I'll let you know how I do. Thanks

bartjones

OK I'm home. (AS if this day could get worse. My car overheated on the way home from work. It's -2 F here now! How's it overheat) Anyway, did the reg restore. Problem persists. Tried resetting Win98. Still have the problem. I also scanned again for viruses again. I'm clean. The "performance" tab says "system optimized" now. No "compatibility mode". In addition Explorer can now see the CDROM. I'll try reinstalling the drivers and see what happens. Thanks folks.

bartjones

Just tried reinstalling the drivers using the CD. There are approx. 25 folders in there which each appear to be there own driver (sorry, I've never had to installed a driver before). Every time I go through the installation process it gets so far before it tells me that the drivers already installed. Am I doing this wrong or is there another problem. The computer itself is running fine. It's just the graphics that seemed to be all messed up? Any ideas? Thanks again.

bartjones

Some new developments. Itried rebooting a couple of times. I get this message

There is a problem with your display settings. The adapter type is incorrect or the current settings do not match your hardware.

I'm then asked whether I wish to continue or not . It tells me if I choose not to continue the original display settings will be applied. I choose this option and windows boots. If I then shutdown, I get the same message on rebooting. What's up?? Any more suggestions would be much appreciated.

Storm90

Talking

You are missing some system files. Is what it sounds like. I hate to say this but you might have to reinstall windows. Have you tried putting your windows cd and running a setup on it. This might sovle your problem. But before doing this you could uninstall your video card from the systems device manger. Then reboot and let windows detect it again. Then put the cd in when it ask. This might help to. Try this then let me know what happens! Hope this helps. I would not want you to have reinstall windows if not needed.has windows pickup the rest of your proublems yet. Can you see your cdrom yet. Just a few more questions. If not after you reinstall your video card and drivers you might want to run a setup of windows over the one installed. this should help you with your other problems I hope.

[This message has been edited by Storm90 (edited 01-09-2001).]

keeper

Did you check Start > CP > Settings > Display > Device Manager > Display Adapter, then check +Ststem Devices, go thru all of them. Any yellow entries??

Check Display Props and Advanced.

Reinstall Drivers, reboot.

[ Performance tab always seems to say optimized, even when puter isn't working]

If still have probs, go with sugestions above.

Will prob end-up doing Win install. Been there.

bartjones

Thanks all. I think its fixed. I reinstalled windows. This didn't solve the problem and I couldn't figure out how to install the drivers using the CD. After about an hour of scouring my files I finally found the driver setup program and ran it. I then updated the driver, rebooted and voila! Problem solved. I never saw any red or yellow checks in the device manager box. I would like to thank you all for your kind assistance. You were all very helpful. Thanks again.