Thread: Pres. Ford dies

Pres. Ford dies

Former first lady Betty Ford says President Gerald Ford has died.

Posted 3 mins ago on AP.

UPDATED:

LOS ANGELES - Gerald R. Ford, who picked up the pieces of Richard Nixon's scandal-shattered White House as the 38th and only unelected president in America's history, has died, his wife, Betty, said Tuesday. He was 93.

Ford had battled pneumonia in January 2006 and underwent two heart treatments — including an angioplasty — in August at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

He was the longest living president, followed by Ronald Reagan, who also died at 93. Ford had been living at his desert home in Rancho Mirage, Calif., about 130 miles east of Los Angeles.

Ford was an accidental president, Nixon's hand-picked successor, a man of much political experience who had never run on a national ticket. He was as open and straight-forward as Nixon was tightly-controlled and conspiratorial.
    Last edited by Dakota; 12-27-06 at 12:02 AM.
    We Remember...
    9|11
    40 miles SW of Mt. St. Helens

R.I.P. Mr. President

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    R.i.p

Gerry had one interesting, unprecendeted political career as the only unelected President in US history.
    We Remember...
    9|11
    40 miles SW of Mt. St. Helens

Blog Entries
    He had a very interesting cabinet.

As Kyle stated, RIP Mr. President

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

1913-2006

That's 93 years! Must be a record for a Ford!

R.I.P.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Rip

R.I.P. Mr. President

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Blog Entries
    Of my many remembrances of the former president, his not bailing NYC of its financial crisis. This one act permitted the dark horse Jimmy Carter to take New York state, costing Ford the election.

Hell_Yes

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

R.I.P. Mr. Ford. A very interesting man with a very interesting political history.

It does seem that the wrongs written about him during them times are now being corrected. That's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Yes View Post
    Of my many remembrances of the former president, his not bailing NYC of its financial crisis. This one act permitted the dark horse Jimmy Carter to take New York state, costing Ford the election.
    If only he'd been able to defeat Carter............if only.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
    If only he'd been able to defeat Carter............if only.
    He would still have had to face a crippling recession. Reagan did enough damage to Ford during the GOP run off.

Hard to tell what would have happened without Carter. If no Carter, then probably no Reagan.

Hell_Yes

Ford, he didn't want to cooperate with some of those in power above him. The only thing I liked about him. Almost got him killed twice.

Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, , and Sara Jane Moore were members of the Process Church. Squeaky later hooked up with Manson. ( Mind controlled killers ? )
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."

Bruce Lee

This brings to mind one of the best SNL skits ever.

Quote Originally Posted by waferdog View Post
    This brings to mind one of the best SNL skits ever.

Blog Entries
    He was a good Pal to Canada.
    By ALEXANDER PANETTA, AP
    ---

OTTAWA -- Canada's place as a G8 nation is thanks largely to Gerald Ford, a veteran political insider says.

The late U.S. president's actions three decades ago helped secure a spot for Canada in the elite club of world economic superpowers, Tom Axworthy said yesterday.

"We are there because Gerry Ford invited us," Axworthy, an aide to then-prime minister Pierre Trudeau, said.

In the wake of the 1973 oil crisis, France spearheaded a new club of democratic leaders who'd meet regularly to chat about global problems.

SHUT OUT BY FRENCH

French president Valery Giscard d'Estaing was adamant Canada did not belong and the first Group of Six summit was held in France, in 1975 without Canada.

Ford mused about boycotting the G6 to protest Canada's exclusion but instead he waited until the next summit was hosted by the U.S.

"He did Canada an enormous favour," Axworthy said. "As host, he could invite who he would. He invited us and Canada has gone ever since."

To this day, some critics wonder why Canada has a seat at the G8 when emerging global powers like China, India and Brazil remain on the sidelines. Russia became a member in the 1990s.

'NICE MAN'

Axworthy remembered Ford as "very natural. A very nice man. That's not an adjective you use with a lot of politicians. He was genuine, and quite warm."

He was also from the border state of Michigan, which may explain his sensitivity to Canada. "It's rare to have a president who knew Canada well. He really did," Axworthy said.

Years later he was still aiding Canada-U.S. relations. At the opening of his presidential library in 1981, Ford set up Trudeau's first, impromptu meeting with newly inaugurated Ronald Reagan.

" 'Pierre, I'd like you to meet President Reagan. Ron, this is Pierre Trudeau. He's been a good friend,' " he recalled.

--
    minir