Thread: Need help with this wireless network card

Need help with this wireless network card

Ok, i am not that computer literate, but I need some help about choosing a computer and a wireless network card. Actually, i already found some, but I want to make sure these would work with my current equipment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, for starters, here is the computer i plan on getting:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Speci...cation.do#tabs

Just a few questions on this computer-

1) When they talk about that there is a DVD SuperMulti drive (they say it in the Highlights tab), I was a bit confused. Is that like a DVD/RW drive? Where i can burn DVD's either with data or in DVD encoding form (using audio and video files to allow the dvd to play in a dvd player)?

2) Is this a decent gaming computer? Like for halo?

Alright. Now, this wireless network card I plan on purchasing:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051384697890

1) Would this wireless card work with this computer just fine? Is there room to install it?

2) Would it work with this equipment I have already? My DSL stuff is listed below:

This is my DSL modem. It is connected to the wall via a phone line. It can handle wireless connections. This is not a router, as it only has 1 ethernet port in it (I may be wrong, maybe it is considered a router because it can have multiple wireless connections, I'm not sure.) If you look at the modem, the farthest right LED light on it is labeled Wireless. At the moment this LED is "on" on my DSL modem. I have a WEP key with this that came with my modem when I got it, and I know i'll probably need this when I try to connect wirelessly

http://www.actiontecstore.com/qwest/...supp2-faqs.jpg

Here is my router connected to my DSL modem via an ethernet cable. It has 2 computers an an Xbox 360 connected to this. I was lucky to find a picture of this because this is the exact router I currently have.

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/site/images/VCC/VCF3711.jpg

3) Currently the DSL modem is located in the basement, where the walls bordering the basement to outside are made of concrete, and the ceiling is a normal ceiling with sheetrock. This computer I plan on purchasing will go in my room, on the 2nd floor of my house. Would this computer be able to send a clear signal to the DSL modem from this distance, and stream a fast connection?

4) About 15 feet away from the DSl modem and directly up to the main floor lies the kitchen. There is a microwave there. Would the connection be interrupted if the microwave is running?

I really appreciate your time, and thanks in advance. Sorry if I do not know so much.

Doesn't look like a good gaming PC, looks like it has onboard graphics and no PCIe slot to upgrade to a good card, unless they include PCIe in as one of hte 2 PCI slots available.

The wireless card would work. It advertises WEP, but should also do WPA, if you can get into your modem to change it from WEP to WPA security thats safer, if not then I'd leave WEP alone.

The wireless card should also work with your modem(which is probably considered a modem/router cuz of the wireless) The card supports wireless G and the odler B standard, your modem is most likely B, G, or both.

EDIT: Actually the system does have a PCIe slot! Circuit city just doesn't know how to list stuff.

Do you mean pci express?

Would any advanced graphics card fit in this slot? Which graphics card would you reckommend for a great gaming experience (such as CounterStrike online through my wireless connection) that could fit in this slot? Would there still be room for the graphics card even when the wireless NIC card is in there?

EDIT: I found a pretty good graphics card:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1155072371459
    Would this work wonders for the latest games?
    Last edited by XRaptor; 12-24-06 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Found a graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by XRaptor View Post
    Do you mean pci express?

Would any advanced graphics card fit in this slot? Which graphics card would you reckommend for a great gaming experience (such as CounterStrike online through my wireless connection) that could fit in this slot? Would there still be room for the graphics card even when the wireless NIC card is in there?

EDIT: I found a pretty good graphics card:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1155072371459
    Would this work wonders for the latest games?
    PCIe = PCI express yeah.

As for how much room you have in there you would have to open up the case and look and see.

The card you linked would play Halo, I'm not a counterstrike person, dont knwo its required specs, but I would think it would do fine as well.

If you wait and look you can order the same card(different brand) online from newegg with faster clock speed, theres also the ATI 1950PRO 256 meg cards in the 190 range.

Provided HP has the room for everything, which it should cuz these cards arent that huge in comparision to whats out there, this or this Are the way to go for the $200 limit.

As for what new games they'll play, a lot, not maxed out graphics, but decent, and decent speed. The newest cards that are out to run the lastest and the future games are in the range of 450-600 bucks, craziness.

Havent seen anything on the powersupply specs of the HP system, so be aware with adding a video their may be another $100ish item you may need.

EDIT: Also just a quick heads up, Wired connections are better for gaming. Wireless is more at risk of connection drops and packet loss due to interference from phone lines or bad signal from liek long distances or concrete walls everywhere, so if wired net access is an option its best, if not then ya wireless is better than nothing