Thread: Wireless internet connection drops with 2 laptops connected

Question Wireless internet connection drops with 2 laptops connected

Hello..I have a Belkin Pre-N Router, an Acer 3003WLCi Laptop (..using the internal wireless card), an Avertec Laptop (3000 series...using a Hawking Hi-Gain Wireless-G extended range PCMCIA card) and Road Runner Premiuim Cable Internet. I can be connected wirelessly with the Acer Laptop and everything's fine but when I boot-up and try to also have the Avertec laptop wirelessly connected to the router, both PCs are connected for about 1 minute and then the wireless connection hangs first on the Avertec and then goes out...and then the Acer laptop's wireless connection follows suit and goes out.

The two laptops mentioned above are positioned only a mere 2 feet from one another (...my kids like to surf together from the dining room).

I noticed that the above problem had only started to happen since I purchased and set-up the Belkin Pre-N Router, and it didn't seem to occur before when I had my old trusty Belking 54g Wireless Adapter in service (..I'm contemplating going back to this router as the Pre-N thus far has proved troublesome on several occasions!).

Anybody have any suggestions on what I could try to try and keep both laptops wirelessly connected at the same time? Many thanks to all the speedguider's out there...

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Latest firmware on the Belkin?

Any security being used? I've had a Belkin G router, and setup many of the Pre-N models....I do like them, had great luck with the Pre-N ones..fantastic range and good speed.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Wireless internet connection drops with 2 laptops connected

...thanks for the response on this one. I believe that I have the latest firmware update for my Pre-N Router but I will have to confirm tonight (...Belkin always seems notoriously bad on issuing firware updates in my opinion, as they seem to be already developing and selling the next latest and greatest router instead of trying to maintain/improve the older routers!!). I have 128-bit WEP WiFi Security and both laptops involved her have the correct network key string value....Any other thoughts in and above the firmware?
    Many thanks again!

Wireless internet connection drops with 2 laptops connected

I checked my Belkin Pre-N router's firmware version (..it's a Ver 2001 F5D8230-4 Belkin) and it's 2.01.02. I believe that this is the latest firmware available for this router...Thanks