Thread: Pc Wireless Adapter needed?

Unhappy Pc Wireless Adapter needed?

Brand newbie! Not too bright about networking yet, but will get better. I have a Toshiba Satellite 1135-S1554 notebook (2003 vintage) I am trying to connect it to a Linksys WRK54G router. Do I need to have a pc wireless adapter to connect to the internet or share files on the Desktop which I have hard wired to Port 1 of the Router. I am using a PPPoE Dsl modem in a bridged configuration to the router. I was told this and they set it up at Earthlink.

I don't grasp the idea of a bridge or why I need it. I am really getting frustrated trying to get this connected. I do have the router connected hard wired to my tower desktop and I get the internet fine. Please help....desperate!!!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The DSL modem in bridged config to your router is the way I prefer to do things.

If you wish to use the laptop using wireless...does your laptop have a built in wireless card? If so, you're good, if not...yes you'll need to get a wireless card for your laptop, either a PC card or a USB model.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thank you stonecat...

I have the dsl modem in bridge mode according to Earthlink. I don't know how to determine if I have the right adapter or card in my Toshiba...How could I tell if I have all the right hardware and software on the Toshiba...thanks in advance....jongru

Take a look in Device Manager, that's one place to see your PCs hardware listed....under network adapters.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Hi Stonecat,

I looked into my device manager. Two Network adapters showing: 1-Realtek RTK8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. 2- Toshiba Wireless Mini PCICard.
    Does this mean I don't need a pci card or adapter connected to the laptop??
    Thanks Stonecat for your help...

Toshiba Wireless...looks like you have one integrated into the laptop.

It's probably an Atheros based one...should have some configuration utility to set it up for your wireless router.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Unhappy

Hi Stonecat,

I finally bought a new Linksys pc adapter card. I probably didn't need it after reading your above comments. I uninstalled the toshiba adapter, but still am not getting connected to the wireless component....my laptop through the router. I am reading the entire manual for the wireless router of Linksys. I get the internet when I direct wire the Toshiba laptop to the router, but not when I try to use the wireless connection. My notebook is xp home sp 1 of which I ordered the upgrade from microsoft free, I will install it right away when I receive it. By the way, will I be able to install the Service pack 2 disk over an OEM (Retail Xp operating system)? Sure hope so.....thanks, jongru

You treat the wireless connection no differently than the wired connection. If you can plug your laptop into the router using a patch cable..and surf...you should also be able to connect and surf wirelessly.

Highly highly HIGHLY encourage you to get SP2 for XP on there ASAP. On top of fixing major security risks....it greatly improved the wireless zero config utility built into Windows. Just make sure your system is clean from malware before doing the SP2 upgrade.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Hi Stonecat,

I am waiting for my cd from microsoft with the SP2 udgrade. I hope that applies to an OEM Windows Xp SP! retail installation. I bought my Toshiba from Best Buys....thanks for the help...jongru

No difference which version of XP you have.....OEM, homeless, Pro, corporate, etc.

Don't need to wait for the CD..plug in the laptop wired..and download it!
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Hi Stoecat,

I could hardwire my Laptop to the internet and download the SP2? How long will it take?? That would save me a lot of time waiting around. Do you have a specific site to go to and will it install automatically? Please let me know right away....might clear up my connection to the wireless router????jongru

Just run your Windows Updates! Right off the start button.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Hi Stonecat,

Just downloaded and installed the SP2 on my laptop. Tried the configuration and still unable to connect to the network. Here is my configuration--I have a Broadband wireless router (Linksys WRK54G) hard wired to my Tower computer. I am trying to set my laptop to wirelessly connect to the internet (dsl line that is bridged to the router) through the wireless router. I see the network on the laptop, just can't connect, no matter how I try.....I am about ready to throw the idea and all the related equipment out. Is it possible to do what I am trying to do. If I plug the laptop into the router directly it works beautifully....help....jongru