Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I connect Cable modem to DSL router?

hi there,
    did you try to press "reset" button on the router. Sometime it helps you to begin freshly and deletes old ids and passwords

Here's an update for more-recent Westell firmware.

A lot of options have changed since the instructions around the Web were written, making it hard to find many of the critical settings. Here's what I worked out for the latest firmware (Verizon):

Open Web browser, go to the Westell router's admin page (likely 192.168.1.1).

Go to the main "Advanced" section and then "DNS Server" (yes, redundant). Enter the DNS server for your cable service (this may not be required; some instructions don't include this). I believe you can get the DNS under Windows by connecting the computer directly to the cable modem with Ethernet, going to the command line (or the Run dialog under the Start button) and entering "ipconfig". I don't know how to get this under other OSs.

Go to My Network / Network Connections / VersaPort and configure the VersaPort as a "WAN uplink port". The modem will reset.

Connect the cable modem to the Ethernet 1 port on the Westell. Press the Reset button on the cable modem and wait for it to recover fully.

Go back to My Network / Network Connections / VersaPort. Disable "Broadband Connection (DSL)". Click on "VersaPort (Ethernet 1)". Go to the drop-down for Protocol under "Uplink settings" and change it from PPPoE to "Routed IP". Press + and ensure that DHCP is selected.

Power-cycle both devices if you still don't have Internet access. Turn the cable modem on first, let it finish self-test, then turn on the router.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stokestack View Post
    A lot of options have changed since the instructions around the Web were written, making it hard to find many of the critical settings. Here's what I worked out for the latest firmware (Verizon):

Go to the main "Advanced" section and then "DNS Server" (yes, redundant). Enter the DNS server for your cable service (this may not be required; some instructions don't include this). I believe you can get the DNS under Windows by connecting the computer directly to the cable modem with Ethernet, going to the command line (or the Run dialog under the Start button) and entering "ipconfig". I don't know how to get this under other OSs.

Go to My Network / Network Connections / VersaPort and configure the VersaPort as a "WAN uplink port". The modem will reset.

Connect the cable modem to the Ethernet 1 port on the Westell. Press the Reset button on the cable modem and wait for it to recover fully.

Go back to My Network / Network Connections / VersaPort. Disable "Broadband Connection (DSL)". Click on "VersaPort (Ethernet 1)". Go to the drop-down for Protocol under "Uplink settings" and change it from PPPoE to "Routed IP". Press + and ensure that DHCP is selected.

Power-cycle both devices if you still don't have Internet access. Turn the cable modem on first, let it finish self-test, then turn on the router.
    Just registered to let you guys know that this worked. i am now connected wired and wireless. + vonage with this adsl modem router + cable modem.

Thank You!

First of all, you are great! I registered on this forum exclusively to reply to your post.
    I just switched from Verizon DSL to Optimum Online.
    The two guys who came to set up the cable spent an hour trying to get my Verizon Westell DSL wireless router to work with Cable, alas to no avail. One of them insisted I needed to buy a new router.
    I then called 2 "senior" technicians from Optimum who both tried helping me but then said I need to buy a new router.
    I also researched online, but everything I read indicated I needed to buy a new router.
    Then I found this forum!
    Your directions worked perfectly. However, there were 2 differences between what you wrote and what I experienced.
    1 - There is no "reset" button on my cable box, so I needed to unplug it, remove the battery, and then re-insert the battery and plug it in.
    2 - I never got the option of "disable broadband connection", but it worked anyways.

An important note. In order for me to access the router settings, the eathernet cable needed to be plugged into the router. Even though at that point I had no wireless connection, I was still able to access the router settings. However, when the eathernet cable wasn't connected to the router, the computer would not display the settings page.

However, I have one MAJOR ISSUE. Although I can (thanks to your help) use my Verizon Westell DSL wireless router for my Cable Internet, the connection is extremely slow! When I plug the eathernet cable directly into my computer the speed is fine. But when it is wireless, it goes waaaay tooooo slow.
    Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks again!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

Connect the cable modem to the Ethernet 1 port on the Westell.
    With this setup, you are only using the Westell as a wireless access point....a wireless bridge if you will. You are not using it as a router/gateway, you are not using any of its NAT/firewall features, your computer us not protected by the hardware NAT firewall of routers in this fashion. And you'll only be able to connect 1x computer...if you have a 1x IP account from your ISP (which most residential accounts are).

For proper "router" features, including the hardware NAT firewall, and sharing the single connection to multiple computers...you will want a broadband router with a WAN/Ethernet port to uplink your cable modem to.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ufo18 View Post
    Just registered to let you guys know that this worked. i am now connected wired and wireless. + vonage with this adsl modem router + cable modem.

Thank You!
    This thread helped me again. My router was reseted again byitself. have to dig this thread.

converting dsl modem to router

Quote Originally Posted by im_prad View Post
    Hi.

First of all Thanks for the excellent documentation and I have as similar kind of an issue i.e. I have a diff. DSL modem cum wifi router and the only options under WAN interface are :-

Connection Type

Select the type of network protocol for IP over Ethernet as WAN interface

A.) PPP over ATM (PPPoA)

B.) PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)

C.) MAC Encapsulation Routing (MER)

D.) IP over ATM (IPoA)

E.) Bridging

Now as you mentioned about the few things :-

1.) -Change WAN PORT drop down from DSL ATM PORT to ETHERNET PORT 1
    2.) -Click Edit button. Change Protocol from PPPoE to ROUTED.
    3.) -Radio button for DHCP Client to Enable.ing like that

In my DSL modem router:-

1.)-Change WAN PORT drop down from DSL ATM PORT to ETHERNET PORT 1 -- Dont see any option to do any

2.) Change Protocol from PPPoE to ROUTED. :- no option for routed and infact that was what I was lookin for initially in the DSL - modem -router of mine and didnt find any and only options were the one I have given above

3.) -Radio button for DHCP Client to Enable.ing like that -- This however I can as that is under LAN settings :-

Lan Setup

You must reboot the router to make the new configuration effective of this page.

IP Address:
    Subnet Mask:

DHCP Server

Disable
    Enable

But the other 2 Options I dont see them

The only other options that I can see are:-

DSL Settings

Select the modulation below. (Notice: If you don't understand parameter below, please keep defalut settings.)

G.Dmt Enabled
    G.lite Enabled
    T1.413 Enabled

ADSL2 Enabled Bitswap Enabled
    AnnexL Enabled SRA Enabled
    ADSL2+ Enabled
    AnnexM Enabled

and I dont think they would make any diff.

Also for selecting any of the 5 WAN interface options I have to choose ATM VC settings and don't see any way I can bypass them, and ATM VC settings is something that we need for DSL and not for routing,, so keeping them would make any diff. or they dont matter at all

So could you please tell me if something can be done about this DSL modem router that I have

Regards,
    Prad
    I am facing a similar problem as mentioned by Im_Prad, can somebody provide a resolution for this one ?

Thanks and regards,
    Soagra

Suggestions for Actiontec Wireless DSL Modem/Router to connect to cable modem?

Quote Originally Posted by timeless909 View Post
    I too reached the Verizon DSL Activation Page. Here is the missing PUZZLE PIECE to get your VERIZON WIRELESS ROUTER to work!!!

Go to http://192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm and click DISABLE.

And you're all SET!! Enjoy!

Note: BTW - you do need to POWER CYLE the Cable Modem & Verizon Wiress Router.
    Hi, does anyone have any clues about how to do the same thing with an Actiontec GT703-WG Wireless DSL Modem/Router? I got it originally from Verizon and I want to connect it to my Time Warner cable modem to have a wireless router. I've gone to the router page 192.168.1.1, which gives Verizon pages to configure the modem. I can't find anything that will allow me to set the wireless to ETHERNET 1 instead of the DSL. Are there any screen commands I could use? I'm on a Mac 10.5.8.
    Thanks for any tips!

Do the same with Actiontec GT704-WG Wireless DSL Modem/Router (Verizon)?

Thanks for this. I have an Actiontec GT704-WG Wireless DSL Modem/Router (from Verizon back in 2006) that I would like to use a WiFi router connected to my Time Warner cable modem.
    I've gone to the admin page 192.168.1.1, but "Network Connections" does not show up under "My Network." The only menu options are "Home" and "Network Status."
    So, I can't get to the WAN uplink port.
    Any possibility you might have some ideas?
    I'm on a Mac 10.5.8.

I hope someone can help with my similar issue. I have a Motorola DSL Router I'm trying to get to work with my cable modem, is it possible? Could some walk me throught it as well.? Thanks Hopefully..

No DSL and cable internet are two very different technologies. You'll need a standard router that you can use with any type of ISP. Then all you need is a cable modem or a DSL modem depending upon the type of service you have.

I also just signed up because I wish I had found this thread when I could have used it. Because I got the time to now, I did this on two Westell modem/routers, a W327-A90 with firmware version 4.04.03.00 and a 7500 with 5.01.00.02 (Both have the verizon red all over the web UI but the added benefit of WPA2). The steps were slightly different so I attempted to generalize it a bit.

Checkpoint 0: Have your DSL modem/router, two ethernet cables, a computer with a web browser and an ethernet port (disconnect or disable all other network connections to make sure you do not get false results), and a modem or some other ethernet connection that you know connects to the internet (Test it with the computer if unsure).

Connect computer at any ethernet port other than E1 (E2,E3,or E4). (Have Nothing connected but this and the power adapter)
    Start the DSL modem/router
    Reset the DSL modem/router (pushing a pin in the reset hole for 5-8 secs and waiting until it restarts fully)
    Go to the default IP address of the router (http://192.168.1.1) in a web browser.
    Login when router asks for login: username/password should be admin/password respectively.
    It should show a page that says Please Connect a DSL Line. If a Cancel option does not show, wait a while and refreash the page. Hit Cancel to stop the detection then OK if it asks to reset.
    It then goes to a page that says Detection Cancelled. If impatient, proceed even if it does not since you will just end back up at hitting Cancel if it didn't work.

For some models, any link redirects to edit_user_settings while account login is admin/password, telling you to specify a new login. Click Main and see if it does.

If it does, change the user settings to admin/admin (or anything other than admin/password), hit Apply, then OK the password change.

Checkpoint 1:
    Going to Main should take you to the Main page that you had when you still had a DSL connection (not some page saying it is trying to connect or requesting new login information).

Go to My Network
    Then to Network Connections
    Click VersaPort (Ethernet 1) (login with the account you made before when prompted in the same manner as the initial entry of admin/password)
    If it is a page that says Select how VersaPort will be used:, skip to Checkpoint 2, otherwise continue here.

Click Advanced.
    Under PPP Connection Profile, click Add
    Set Connection Type to Manual [This way it won't try to auto connect the dsl], and Apply
    Go again to Network Connections
    and again to VersaPort (Ethernet 1) [This time it takes you to a very different page where there is an option, Select how VersaPort will be used:]

Checkpoint 2:
    Clicking VersaPort (Ethernet 1) leads to a page with an option, Select how VersaPort will be used:.

Set the Select how VersaPort will be used to WAN uplink port. If it brings up additional options below go to Checkpoint 3 otherwise click Apply and then Cancel if it asks for a modem reset. (If you hit OK just get back into VersaPort (Ethernet 1)).

New options now appear on the page, in particular a Protocol option.

Checkpoint 3:
    Select how VersaPort will be used: is set to WAN uplink port and there is an option to set the Protocol below it.

Change the Protocol to Routed IP.
    Look below for an option to Obtain addresses automatically (enable DHCP Client) and ensure that this is selected. You may have to click a + sign underneath Protocol to show DHCP Client options, where this will be, or it may just be there under Routed IP Settings depending on the model/firmware.

Apply and OK any modem reset and wait for it if it asks.

Checkpoint 4:
    Just to verify, if you look under Network Connections again, you should see:
    VersaPort (Ethernet 1) WAN port
    If you click VersaPort (Ethernet 1), the How VersaPort will be used should be WAN uplink port, the Protocol should be Routed IP, and below that (you may have to hit the + under Protocol), the Obtain addresses automatically is selected.

The Final Test:
    If all of these have been met, proceed to attach an ethernet line from the (cable) modem to the newly 'fixed' router's E1. Power cycle the router (shut it off, wait a bit, turn it back on, wait until all the proper ports that have a cable in them have a corresponding light). Keep checking the Main page of the router until it gives a Internet Status: Connected.

Now try to go to google.com or some place on the internet. If it redirects you to a verizon site, go to http://192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm. Hit Disable (or Enable) and repeat this step until it stops redirecting you to a verizon site. Now that it works, go to http://192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm again and make sure that it is disabled (shows a button to Enable it). (Sometimes it may need to be Disabled, Enabled and then Disabled again. It may also work on a Disable then Enable, but it then might redirect again on a power cycle).

Once you successfully connect to the internet in this way, you have essentially turned it into a 3-Port router. ALL the other router features will work as if it were still a modem/router (wifi, firewall, etc if you so choose).

Set up your Frontier Wireless Netgear DSL Router to work with any Cable Modem

I'm simply putting this in here because the posts led me to be able to easily set up my Netgear ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER (model B90-755044-15) but I didn't see specific instructions in the list anywhere for it...

Jump to any [[SECTION]] you feel comfortable starting from.

NOTE: If get stuck and you simply want to factory reset your modem unplug everything but the power and hold down the little factory reset button with a pen or something until you get a red light and that goes away.
    You'll have to reconfigure it and perhaps manually set up wireless but sometimes that's the easiest if you get stuck and need to start over.

[[GET YOUR GATEWAY IP]]
    1. Connect your computer to your router via Ethernet cable via the routers E1/Uplink port.
    2. On Windows figure out the Gateway IP Address by going to [Start] type "cmd" [Enter]
    On Linux or Unix you should already know how to do this because you're the type of person who uses Linux or Unix (I am too ;-)
    On Mac - Call Apple for help!
    3. When you get the prompt type in "ipconfig" and copy the Default Gateway IP address 192.168.254.254 or 192.168.0.1 or something else maybe.
    (if you have more than one Default Gateway listed you'll want to try them all in the next step)

[[NAVIGATE TO YOUR ROUTER'S SETTINGS PAGE]]
    4. Open your desired web browser and go to the Default Gateway address and verify the information matches the one for your modem (if not try the next IP you have).
    5. Follow and set up any/all information (if it even asks) once you navigate to the modem web interface.
    6. If you get some message saying it's trying to find a connection or something then simply select whatever cancel option it gives you or reenter in the IP address in another window to bypass it.

[[CONFIGURE YOUR ROUTER]]
    7. Click the [My Connected Home] option and then select [Network Connections] from the menu.
    8. Under VarsaPort click the "edit icon".
    9. Change the setting from "Lan Ethernet Port" to "WAN Uplink Port".
    10. Change the Protocol from "PPPoE" to "Routed IP".
    11. Enable Tunneling, and select the "Obtain address automatically" option.
    12. Hit [Apply].

[[TEST IT OUT]]
    13. Now plug your Wireless Router into your Cable Modem using the E1/Uplink port on the Wireless Router.
    14. Connect to your wireless router and you should hopefully have wireless Internet now - yay!
    Last edited by Jamin Liberum Cogitari; 08-31-15 at 08:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting those instructions !

Just a couple of notes:

1. You should be able to configure your DSL Router to only be used as an access point (only LAN port connection to the cable modem), as most cable modems these days already provide NAT routing and DHCP server.

2. There is a FAQ on the main site covering the basic steps here: http://www.speedguide.net/faq/how-to...router-for-464

3. There are general instructions on how to configure a wireless router as an access point here: http://www.speedguide.net/articles/h...ess-point-2556