Thread: -20 C Weather good for HD Recovery!

Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar

-20 C Weather good for HD Recovery!

Well, this -20 C (-4 F) weather in Calgary is good for something! I've got these 2 Seagate 200 Gb hard drives that I want to send in for warranty because they normally fail immediately.

I set them outside overnight in the -20 weather to get them nice and cold because I wanted to get them working....ironically so that I could use a wipe utility so that the manufacturer can't see my private files. Whoever came up with the tip of putting your hard drives in the freezer, good call!

Anyway, I installed the drive (admittedly for a few minutes it was rather hesitant to work). By the time I got into windows and loaded up Speedfan it was registering 6 C. It was heating up quite quickly when I started wiping the hard drive but seems to have stabilized at 31 C with an ice pack underneath and on top of the drive!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Yup I've used that trick more than once to recover data from drives.

What the heck hit your system where 2x drives croaked at once? Those 'Cuda's or U-Series?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Yup I've used that trick more than once to recover data from drives.

What the heck hit your system where 2x drives croaked at once? Those 'Cuda's or U-Series?
    Extremely long story....read some of my other posts if you want the long story.

They are 7200.7 Cudas. Bought them both at the same time (was thinking of RAIDing, but never did...) so I guess if there was a bad run it makes sense that they die around the same time. Die is obviously a fuzzy term.

The drives gradually became less and less stable. My "issue" has been that they do work from time to time for spurts as long as a month....so if I sent them in for warranty what is the chance that Seagate says "they are fine". Prior to this freezing I had done I couldn't even boot my system so I finally am convinced that they are toast.

On occasion I can load up the Ultimate Boot Disk drive checking utilities and the drives will check out fine. Anyway, I'm fed up and am returning these to Seagate regardless.....obviously would still be pissed off if they say "they are fine".

Anyway, if wish the drives would just totally crap out...then I know warranty will work and I don't have to worry about cleaning files off like this.

I never tryed it, I have one HDD (6 years old) and it's dead, all my favourite mp3 songs are there, i'm going to try this method.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Second drive doesn't show up at all in windows when I attach it at frigid temperatures. Now that I am back from the bar (watching a pathetic effort by the Flames) and the hard drive is thawed when I try to use it it is back to the old "clucking" sound but still not showing up when I launch windows.

A part of me is thinking....never buy a Seagate product again. Even my IBM and Maxtor drives are still going strong and they are 2-3 years older.

Seagate is maxtor now. IBM is... Hitachi?

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Seagate is maxtor now. IBM is... Hitachi?
    Seagate acquired Maxtor...not Maxtor acquired Seagate. I don't think I can talk about it....so disgusted over it. Seagate being one of my fave brands (WD being the other one), Maxtor one of my most detested brands. Years ago...the Quantum/Maxtor merger didn't bother me...both were bottom feeders of the drive market, deserved each other.

IBM sold it's hard drive division to Hitachi, prior to the transition to Lenovo. Probably something to do with Lenovo didn't want to deal with the drive division.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

could you explain this freezing trick a little more. as one of my hard drives recently died and im having trouble recovering data of the poor fella.

Quote Originally Posted by RaV3nous View Post
    could you explain this freezing trick a little more. as one of my hard drives recently died and im having trouble recovering data of the poor fella.
    Freeze the drive overnight

Then quickly plug it in, outside of the case is best cuz it will create condensation

Access the drive and hope it works.

sounds fun! ill give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by RaV3nous View Post
    It can help when there's a physical failure on the drive, such as bearings, the armature, something that's seized or about to seize. Metal shrinks when cold...so it can "unstick" moving parts that may have seized.

It's not for situations where the magnetic properties of the platter are hosed. But sometimes those situations where the drive cannot spin up, or your power it up and hear that "clunk clunk clunk"..it can help.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Would start a new thread but this one seems to have died so ill just post here..

An 80 gig Harddrive of mine recently stopped working. after a restart the bios said it had failed the S.M.A.R.T check.
    The partition instead of just 80gig is now a bit smaller, and obviously XP wont boot. Typing in DIR into dos does show a few folders, though the file sizes look a bit small.. I was just wondering the easiest way of attemping to try to recover something/anything back.
    Would i try to format,repartition and maybe try to use a recovery program, I had one that I used before rather successfully .

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Putting my external 60GB drive that failed a few months ago into the freezer. Man, I have soooo many lost pictures and offical scanned docs on that drive it's not even funny.

I'll post my results in a few days.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

What about drives that click?

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    What about drives that click?
    Or clack?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar

I'm do believe in miracles! lol

>>Cult Master of International Affairs<<