Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something for our members passed on?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Something for our members passed on?

I as well as I am sure many others today, were stunned by the passing of our member Croc. A thought occurred then. Would it be possible to set up an archive, or a forum all of its own, in honor of our lost members? And pray it does not get too full!! Befitting of speedguides respect of its members, imho.
    Mystical Folding Minx

I think it's bad idea, we can carry them in our hearts IMO, it will just bring back all the memories and we will feel sad.All our passed members were great people and what will honor them the most is that they are ALWAYS going to be in our hearts.
    SG is not graveyard.
    Just my 2 cents.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Some would only view that of course, with only sad memories. Others of us would enjoy, respect and smile at all the good memories that person left behind. The reason also...for the request of a special place, as in an archive...or seperate forum...you would then have your choice of viewing...or not..as you see fit.
    Mystical Folding Minx

And put what in there? The members posts? lots of "I'm sorrys" or something?

I think one of the best things Rivas has ever said is "SG is not a graveyard"

The idea is nice but it really feels out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    And put what in there? The members posts? lots of "I'm sorrys" or something?

I think one of the best things Rivas has ever said is "SG is not a graveyard"

The idea is nice but it really feels out of place.
    Thank you.

- Emiliano Zapata

A graveyard..no..a place of rememberance for those who care to remember the joys..and honor such...a place for solice for family members...to come and enjoy thoughts, memories...special times...respect...yes. Again...a place of choice...not something planted on the general board...where a constant message would be visable. I can personally think of no better place of honor. Let the powers that be, and their helpers decide.
    Mystical Folding Minx

Maybe there should be a poll as well. Put it to a vote, so to speak to see if other members might even be interested, and or how they feel personally. It's definitely worth discussion.
    Mystical Folding Minx

How can you smile and enjoy when the person is dead? It will always bring just tears into my eyes.
    As I said SG is not a Graveyard.

- Emiliano Zapata

And how many family members of the "Fallen Ones" are posting on SG ....
    It's nice idea but it's graveyard, I dont have name of my dead relatives writen all over wall, Yes i do have them on pictures, some of them in frame, but i want them to REST IN PEACE where they DO belong and not bringing our death members over here.If i die i dont want to be on your graveyard.

A place for rememberance can be added in Newspapers or Radio station and not on SPEEDGUIDE ....SPEEDGUIDE.

It's definately nice but ridiculous idea IMO.

- Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by rivas View Post
    And how many family members of the "Fallen Ones" are posting on SG ....
    It's nice idea but it's graveyard, I dont have name of my dead relatives writen all over wall, Yes i do have them on pictures, some of them in frame, but i want them to REST IN PEACE where they DO belong and not bringing our death members over here.If i die i dont want to be on your graveyard.

A place for rememberance can be added in Newspapers or Radio station and not on SPEEDGUIDE ....SPEEDGUIDE.

It's definately nice but ridiculous idea IMO.
    I did not suggest that members family post to such..but suggested that family members could come in and read and appreciate the thoughts, the warmness left behind. Ridiculous? I think not...just a matter of personal opinion..and how ones perception would prevail....again..positive or negative?

It would..the forum..or archive..not necessarily mean the death of a member either..but could include..life changes..as happened in the New Orleans disaster..and affected so many of us..member and person as well. Just a thought
    Mystical Folding Minx

Quote Originally Posted by MissTynker2 View Post
    I did not suggest that members family post to such..but suggested that family members could come in and read and appreciate the thoughts, the warmness left behind. Ridiculous? I think not...just a matter of personal opinion..and how ones perception would prevail....again..positive or negative?

It would..the forum..or archive..not necessarily mean the death of a member either..but could include..life changes..as happened in the New Orleans disaster..and affected so many of us..member and person as well. Just a thought
    Members families, if they know of the members name can come in and click on the screen name and grab up the other posts. And its not like every post is important from every person.

I wouldnt want want my useless banter saved in some forum, and anything relevant to technology would eventually be old and useless too.

Quote Originally Posted by MissTynker2 View Post

Yes it's ridiculous and also we do have quite a few some spammers around here, e.g SELLING PLASMA TV's NOKIA cellular etc etc etc and they post in every damn forum and in my opinion it would be VERY disrespectful if they posted in that forum.
    It's like going into graveyard and start pissing on graves isnt it ?

Gezzz let them REST in PEACE Misty PLEASE.

- Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by rivas View Post
    Yes it's ridiculous and also we do have quite a few some spammers around here, e.g SELLING PLASMA TV's NOKIA cellular etc etc etc and they post in every damn forum and in my opinion it would be VERY disrespectful if they posted in that forum.
    Go try and post in the archives.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Go try and post in the archives.
    Ya and i'm gonna be banned.

I dont care anymore, it's up to the members, if they want it so be it.

- Emiliano Zapata

Blog Entries
    It is not just my decision. We listen to users' opinions, and we discuss decisions with the mods.

We're still discussing this suggestion. At this time, we're leaning towards just using the general archive forum we already have in place; it is under-used as it is, and this seems to fit its intended purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    It is not just my decision. We listen to users' opinions, and we discuss decisions with the mods.

We're still discussing this suggestion. At this time, we're leaning towards just using the general archive forum we already have in place; it is under-used as it is, and this seems to fit its intended purpose.
    Thank you for considering this suggestion. I think that would be the perfect place, if approved. So much more could be incorporated into it as well, and I believe a very nice addition.
    Mystical Folding Minx

I know I know, but we should ask family members about their opinion, it's not like 1 woman wants forum/archive with all the dead people.
    It's not our decision at all.

And thank you for bringing this suggestion at this time you could wait at least few months it really gives me chills. " Are they going to discuss to put me there even if I said no ............ in case I loose"
    Last edited by Rivas; 11-26-06 at 03:06 PM.

- Emiliano Zapata

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

A good resting place to archive important happenings for our regular members.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post

A good resting place to archive important happenings for our regular members.
    Ya got my vote.

We already have a genera archieve: http://forums.speedguide.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53.

Moving posts does not change their visibility much, just puts them into a more fitting category.
    The archives are locked, so that rules out disrespectful postings in the proposed memoriam board.

Yups Philip, looks like there's a place for the memoriams there.

Stonecat & Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    I think, if a SG member passes away, ( R.I.P. Croc )
    there should be a link and a page on the main SG page dedicated just for them.
    Keep it up for a week span, in memoriam.
    Making and keeping a page up with a few words of respect,
    wouldn't be too hard to do..
    Won't have to be anything too fancy.. anything from thier family,
    or just a avatar, and some words of respect.

My 2 Cents.
    I had a similar vision.

Perhaps a link to the memoriam archive on the SG home page... and a one week "live" memoriam as Shinobi has suggested.

Maybe set a time limit for posting to a memoriam, then lock it. If a member misses one, a pm to a mod could allow posting to the memoriam after the posting time limit is up. And that way, no spam possible in there.

Good idea Misty.

If someone doesn't wanna view the memoriams... then don't click on it, it's as simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!