Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Something for our members passed on?

  1. #1
    R.I.P. MissTynker2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    6,930

    Something for our members passed on?

    I as well as I am sure many others today, were stunned by the passing of our member Croc. A thought occurred then. Would it be possible to set up an archive, or a forum all of its own, in honor of our lost members? And pray it does not get too full!! Befitting of speedguides respect of its members, imho.
    Mystical Folding Minx

  2. #2
    Tortoises R0cks :D Rivas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,248
    I think it's bad idea, we can carry them in our hearts IMO, it will just bring back all the memories and we will feel sad.All our passed members were great people and what will honor them the most is that they are ALWAYS going to be in our hearts.
    SG is not graveyard.
    Just my 2 cents.
    To be human is to choose.


    It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

    - Emiliano Zapata

  3. #3
    R.I.P. MissTynker2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    6,930
    Some would only view that of course, with only sad memories. Others of us would enjoy, respect and smile at all the good memories that person left behind. The reason also...for the request of a special place, as in an archive...or seperate forum...you would then have your choice of viewing...or not..as you see fit.
    Mystical Folding Minx

  4. #4
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    And put what in there? The members posts? lots of "I'm sorrys" or something?

    I think one of the best things Rivas has ever said is "SG is not a graveyard"

    The idea is nice but it really feels out of place.

  5. #5
    Tortoises R0cks :D Rivas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,248
    How can you smile and enjoy when the person is dead? It will always bring just tears into my eyes.
    As I said SG is not a Graveyard.
    To be human is to choose.


    It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

    - Emiliano Zapata

  6. #6
    Tortoises R0cks :D Rivas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,248
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    And put what in there? The members posts? lots of "I'm sorrys" or something?

    I think one of the best things Rivas has ever said is "SG is not a graveyard"

    The idea is nice but it really feels out of place.
    Thank you.
    To be human is to choose.


    It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

    - Emiliano Zapata

  7. #7
    R.I.P. MissTynker2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    6,930
    A graveyard..no..a place of rememberance for those who care to remember the joys..and honor such...a place for solice for family members...to come and enjoy thoughts, memories...special times...respect...yes. Again...a place of choice...not something planted on the general board...where a constant message would be visable. I can personally think of no better place of honor. Let the powers that be, and their helpers decide.
    Mystical Folding Minx

  8. #8
    R.I.P. MissTynker2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    6,930
    Maybe there should be a poll as well. Put it to a vote, so to speak to see if other members might even be interested, and or how they feel personally. It's definitely worth discussion.
    Mystical Folding Minx

  9. #9
    Tortoises R0cks :D Rivas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,248
    And how many family members of the "Fallen Ones" are posting on SG ....
    It's nice idea but it's graveyard, I dont have name of my dead relatives writen all over wall, Yes i do have them on pictures, some of them in frame, but i want them to REST IN PEACE where they DO belong and not bringing our death members over here.If i die i dont want to be on your graveyard.

    A place for rememberance can be added in Newspapers or Radio station and not on SPEEDGUIDE ....SPEEDGUIDE.

    It's definately nice but ridiculous idea IMO.
    To be human is to choose.


    It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

    - Emiliano Zapata

  10. #10
    R.I.P. MissTynker2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    6,930
    Quote Originally Posted by rivas View Post
    And how many family members of the "Fallen Ones" are posting on SG ....
    It's nice idea but it's graveyard, I dont have name of my dead relatives writen all over wall, Yes i do have them on pictures, some of them in frame, but i want them to REST IN PEACE where they DO belong and not bringing our death members over here.If i die i dont want to be on your graveyard.

    A place for rememberance can be added in Newspapers or Radio station and not on SPEEDGUIDE ....SPEEDGUIDE.

    It's definately nice but ridiculous idea IMO.
    I did not suggest that members family post to such..but suggested that family members could come in and read and appreciate the thoughts, the warmness left behind. Ridiculous? I think not...just a matter of personal opinion..and how ones perception would prevail....again..positive or negative?

    It would..the forum..or archive..not necessarily mean the death of a member either..but could include..life changes..as happened in the New Orleans disaster..and affected so many of us..member and person as well. Just a thought
    Mystical Folding Minx

  11. #11
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTynker2 View Post
    I did not suggest that members family post to such..but suggested that family members could come in and read and appreciate the thoughts, the warmness left behind. Ridiculous? I think not...just a matter of personal opinion..and how ones perception would prevail....again..positive or negative?

    It would..the forum..or archive..not necessarily mean the death of a member either..but could include..life changes..as happened in the New Orleans disaster..and affected so many of us..member and person as well. Just a thought
    Members families, if they know of the members name can come in and click on the screen name and grab up the other posts. And its not like every post is important from every person.

    I wouldnt want want my useless banter saved in some forum, and anything relevant to technology would eventually be old and useless too.

  12. #12
    Tortoises R0cks :D Rivas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,248
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTynker2 View Post
    I did not suggest that members family post to such..but suggested that family members could come in and read and appreciate the thoughts, the warmness left behind. Ridiculous? I think not...just a matter of personal opinion..and how ones perception would prevail....again..positive or negative?

    It would..the forum..or archive..not necessarily mean the death of a member either..but could include..life changes..as happened in the New Orleans disaster..and affected so many of us..member and person as well. Just a thought
    Yes it's ridiculous and also we do have quite a few some spammers around here, e.g SELLING PLASMA TV's NOKIA cellular etc etc etc and they post in every damn forum and in my opinion it would be VERY disrespectful if they posted in that forum.
    It's like going into graveyard and start pissing on graves isnt it ?

    Gezzz let them REST in PEACE Misty PLEASE.
    To be human is to choose.


    It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

    - Emiliano Zapata

  13. #13
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    Quote Originally Posted by rivas View Post
    Yes it's ridiculous and also we do have quite a few some spammers around here, e.g SELLING PLASMA TV's NOKIA cellular etc etc etc and they post in every damn forum and in my opinion it would be VERY disrespectful if they posted in that forum.
    Go try and post in the archives.

  14. #14
    Tortoises R0cks :D Rivas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,248
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Go try and post in the archives.
    Ya and i'm gonna be banned.

    I dont care anymore, it's up to the members, if they want it so be it.
    To be human is to choose.


    It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

    - Emiliano Zapata

  15. #15
    A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    4,432
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think, if a SG member passes away, ( R.I.P. Croc )
    there should be a link and a page on the main SG page dedicated just for them.
    Keep it up for a week span, in memoriam.
    Making and keeping a page up with a few words of respect,
    wouldn't be too hard to do..
    Won't have to be anything too fancy.. anything from thier family,
    or just a avatar, and some words of respect.

    My 2 Cents.
    _______________________________________________
    Vendor neutral certified in IT Project Management, IT Security, Cisco Networking, Cisco Security, Wide Area Networks, IPv6, IT Hardware, Unix, Linux, and Windows server administration

  16. #16
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    Quote Originally Posted by rivas View Post
    Ya and i'm gonna be banned.
    Check the archives, YOU CANT MAKE A POST THERE.

  17. #17
    R.I.P. MissTynker2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    6,930
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Check the archives, YOU CANT MAKE A POST THERE.
    Exactly my point!! Whether or not we agree with the thought or the idea...you CANNOT post there...nor would you have to go there..unless you choose to. Its a matter of personal choice...period. Some will approve, some will not...a totally personal decision.
    Mystical Folding Minx

  18. #18
    Tortoises R0cks :D Rivas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,248
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTynker2 View Post
    Exactly my point!! Whether or not we agree with the thought or the idea...you CANNOT post there...nor would you have to go there..unless you choose to. Its a matter of personal choice...period. Some will approve, some will not...a totally personal decision.
    Ok ok you 2 calm down geezzz.And what you are gonna do ? Staring at all the names ?
    Dont eat me Tynkerer
    And after all it's going to be only Philip decision anyway.

    But i think you should ask relatives first if they approve it, it's not like Yes i want there all the members right now.
    Let them RIP and leave them alone.
    Last edited by Rivas; 11-25-06 at 10:53 PM.
    To be human is to choose.


    It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

    - Emiliano Zapata

  19. #19
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    Posts
    10,289
    Blog Entries
    6
    It is not just my decision. We listen to users' opinions, and we discuss decisions with the mods.

    We're still discussing this suggestion. At this time, we're leaning towards just using the general archive forum we already have in place; it is under-used as it is, and this seems to fit its intended purpose.

  20. #20
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,785
    I think that's a good idea, Philip.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-26-06, 11:53 AM
  2. W2k3 Strange Problems --Help
    By challenger in forum Networking Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-07-06, 12:57 PM
  3. Paging Midwest SG members!
    By ghettoside in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-05-06, 02:49 PM
  4. Prayer request please for the remaining family members of my friends killed.
    By MissTynker2 in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-26-05, 11:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •