Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Ps3 and xbox 360

  1. #1
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    757

    Post Ps3 and xbox 360

    I've been seeing a lot of things around the net and all sorts of places saying that the Ps3 has overheating problems and so on but I was thinking to myself.. Doesn't the xbox 360 still have problems with overheating? I mean I know there's people who haven't had their 360's overheat yet but just generally speaking it still has problems with over heating. I also heard that it has a drive issue of sorts I think it was that it wouldn't eject or something like that don't quite remember but I was thinking about it and said "hey it's better than having your game shredded up by the 360's dvd drive." once again generally speaking as I haven't had this problem yet and there are many others who haven't had this problem either so that's why i'm generally speaking. I've been hearing a lot of talk about the graphics on the ps3 but lets face it people, the graphics aren't that much better than the xbox 360. It may have some nicer eviroments, draw distance, etc., but what they have showed me so far isn't really all that impressive. I've been hearing some serious b*tching about the whole no rumble in the controllers. You really want to know why they took out the rumble? It's because they had a major lawsuit against them that forced them to take it out. Yes sony has been sued for the rumble feature (and lost) so has Nintendo and Microsoft (unsure if they won or lost this lawsuit but my guess is that they lost or they're still in battle.). I remember hearing somewhere that the HDMI ports were on the cheaper version of the ps3 so everyone who's currently b*tching about it should really stop because if what I heard is true (I've only played the console but never actually got to look at what it has since it's inside a protective casing and can't see around it.). I've been hearing that the 20 gb hard drive seems to cripple the PS3 a somewhat which is a bugger because not everyone has the money to buy the 60 gb version and it's kind of like how some people don't have the money to buy the xbox 360 with the hard drive but at least the 360 isn't crippled by the lack of a hard drive.

    Well that is all I can think of at the moment.


  2. #2
    Tortoises R0cks :D Rivas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,248
    It's to early too judge, i love 360 and wouldnt trade it for PS3 No bloody way.Time will tell us.
    To be human is to choose.


    It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

    - Emiliano Zapata

  3. #3
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    757
    Indeed it is too early to judge but I've been meaning to just get that out of my system as I've been hearing too many things about the PS3 and so I wanted to compare it in a way to the 360 but after a year or 2 we will see how it all is... although there's not much talk on the wii... it seems like the Wii is the underdog again.. at least for now..

  4. #4
    Tortoises R0cks :D Rivas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,248
    Quote Originally Posted by urielconsolo View Post
    Indeed it is too early to judge but I've been meaning to just get that out of my system as I've been hearing too many things about the PS3 and so I wanted to compare it in a way to the 360 but after a year or 2 we will see how it all is... although there's not much talk on the wii... it seems like the Wii is the underdog again.. at least for now..
    Yes i agree, i was reading about PS3 and it's moddable as first xbox was, but who will install linux on it, 5% of the owners?
    And you can add there bigger HDD, well thats nice but what for ?
    MS can come with bigger HDD's if they decide to IMO.
    Not sure if there are any limitations.
    Well Wii is targeted mostly for kids i think but the price is nice and it looks neat, never tryed it yet tho.
    And yes only time will tell ....
    To be human is to choose.


    It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

    - Emiliano Zapata

  5. #5
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by rivas View Post
    Yes i agree, i was reading about PS3 and it's moddable as first xbox was, but who will install linux on it, 5% of the owners?
    And you can add there bigger HDD, well thats nice but what for ?
    MS can come with bigger HDD's if they decide to IMO.
    Not sure if there are any limitations.
    Well Wii is targeted mostly for kids i think but the price is nice and it looks neat, never tryed it yet tho.
    And yes only time will tell ....
    Yeah but for some odd reason it seems that the ps3 is rather dependant on the size of the hard drive seems like you get choppiness and lag on a 20 gb and you get it almost smooth and perfect on the 60gb at least thats what i've read and I also heard it on Attack of the show. Well... We have people who absolutely love their moosique and yeah.. fill up their hard drives with it... I know they're supposed to come out with a 100 gb hard drive for the 360.. not sure when though.. but it seems like the ps3 uses the hard drive for what it seems like to me is virtual memory and it seems like it relys on it too...

  6. #6
    Tortoises R0cks :D Rivas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,248
    Quote Originally Posted by urielconsolo View Post
    Yeah but for some odd reason it seems that the ps3 is rather dependant on the size of the hard drive seems like you get choppiness and lag on a 20 gb and you get it almost smooth and perfect on the 60gb at least thats what i've read and I also heard it on Attack of the show. Well... We have people who absolutely love their moosique and yeah.. fill up their hard drives with it... I know they're supposed to come out with a 100 gb hard drive for the 360.. not sure when though.. but it seems like the ps3 uses the hard drive for what it seems like to me is virtual memory and it seems like it relys on it too...

    Never heard about it, i seen PS 3 in action when it was on display in futureshop and i wasnt impressed at all.And it's 1 year younger console.I do believe it's good console no doubt about that but it makes me laugh when someone says it's better than 360
    To be human is to choose.


    It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

    - Emiliano Zapata

  7. #7
    SG Enthusiast FunK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    2,721
    A few points.. I haven't had the 360 but did get a PS3. I doubt that there is any real difference in performance for the 20 / 60 G versions as far as choppiness. It's a SATA HDD for both. The HDD is storage and nothing more. Having your MP3s on there is nice. So is just popping in your camera pics / video via mem card, flash drive / vid camera, DVD, CD, etc.

    I've downloaded several demos and they store and play off the HDD. They are a little quicker booting than a game on the disc drive but the drive is plenty fast.

    It reads external HDDs via USB just fine and I've had no issues so far.

    As I said I don't have the xbox and I'm wondering;

    Does the XBOX let you run USB keyboards, Mice, Headsets, External HDDs (non-propietary)?

    Does It allow you to install a third party OS? What about XP or Vista? Does it play HD DVDs without an upgrade (I know that one)? What size HDD does it have? Does it rip CDs to MP3? Does it have WiFi standard on the better version? Wireless controllers on the standard version (I know that one too)?

    Can you manually upgrade the HDD with a store bought SATA HDD on the XBox?

    the PS3 plays MPG4 movies natively and rips audio to user defined formats / bitrates. Adding Linux, you can install just about any codec you like and can play your Divx/AVI files as well.. Really anything you can do on your PC you can do with the PS3.. From a media center standpoint, that kicks ass..

    Azureus on the PS3? OK
    Amarok on the PS3? OK
    MythTV on the PS3? OK
    mplayer / xine / totem? OK


    Folding on the Xbox? hmm
    Windows on the Xbox? hmm
    Linux on the Xbox? doubt anyone at MS would allow that.
    Store bought USB device compatibility on the xbox? Not sure

    To me it's more about freedom. They are both good GAMING systems.
    The PS3 just allows more freedom in my opinion. As noted, I haven't installed Linux on mine yet (I plan to within the week to complete my media center).

    I just don't remember anything from the Microsoft team about allowing such freedom on their console and I think it's GREAT that there is a company out there that isn't more concerned about making proprietary devices for extra money but embracing what people want and allowing them a cheap / free alternative to having another PC with media center installed on it.

    Plus it's Blu Ray for less than a regular player..
    Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

    People say Linux is alot of work!

  8. #8
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by FunK View Post
    A few points.. I haven't had the 360 but did get a PS3. I doubt that there is any real difference in performance for the 20 / 60 G versions as far as choppiness. It's a SATA HDD for both. The HDD is storage and nothing more. Having your MP3s on there is nice. So is just popping in your camera pics / video via mem card, flash drive / vid camera, DVD, CD, etc.

    I've downloaded several demos and they store and play off the HDD. They are a little quicker booting than a game on the disc drive but the drive is plenty fast.

    It reads external HDDs via USB just fine and I've had no issues so far.

    As I said I don't have the xbox and I'm wondering;

    Does the XBOX let you run USB keyboards, Mice, Headsets, External HDDs (non-propietary)?

    Does It allow you to install a third party OS? What about XP or Vista? Does it play HD DVDs without an upgrade (I know that one)? What size HDD does it have? Does it rip CDs to MP3? Does it have WiFi standard on the better version? Wireless controllers on the standard version (I know that one too)?

    Can you manually upgrade the HDD with a store bought SATA HDD on the XBox?

    the PS3 plays MPG4 movies natively and rips audio to user defined formats / bitrates. Adding Linux, you can install just about any codec you like and can play your Divx/AVI files as well.. Really anything you can do on your PC you can do with the PS3.. From a media center standpoint, that kicks ass..

    Azureus on the PS3? OK
    Amarok on the PS3? OK
    MythTV on the PS3? OK
    mplayer / xine / totem? OK

    Folding on the Xbox? hmm
    Windows on the Xbox? hmm
    Linux on the Xbox? doubt anyone at MS would allow that.
    Store bought USB device compatibility on the xbox? Not sure

    To me it's more about freedom. They are both good GAMING systems.
    The PS3 just allows more freedom in my opinion. As noted, I haven't installed Linux on mine yet (I plan to within the week to complete my media center).

    I just don't remember anything from the Microsoft team about allowing such freedom on their console and I think it's GREAT that there is a company out there that isn't more concerned about making proprietary devices for extra money but embracing what people want and allowing them a cheap / free alternative to having another PC with media center installed on it.

    Plus it's Blu Ray for less than a regular player..


    Well I believe they said it was only for certain games and not all of them but I have not seen this for myself so I didn't say it was a for sure thing. But even windows uses the hard drive for virtual memory and when your hard drive is almost completely full it runs rather slow. (Of course Windows has many problems already.)

    What doesn't run faster on a HDD than on a CD or DVD and i'm sure it'd be the same for Blu Ray.

    Yes you can use USB keyboards and External HDD's (non microsoft, although you can only use it as a way to get all your MP3's, photos, videos and the likes.) and a few other things such as cameras, card readers and USB Flash drives. (that's all I know of.) as for Mice.. Microsoft added a Cheater proof system to their console since they don't want people using mice in games because it'd be unfair to those who are using a controller. (I franky like this feature.)

    Heh well this isn't my department as I frankly don't like watching movies nor do I watch much of any videos (besides cutscenes and game previews) but I can't say anything about this part and as for the stuff on the bottom of this it doesn't really matter a whole much to me but as for music well I don't listen to a whole lot of that either most of the times in my games I have the music turned off as the only things I mainly listen to is techno and trance. (and I don't really have a whole lot of it inside my 360.)

    Folding on the Xbox: Yes but on Xbox 360 No.
    Windows on Xbox: Yes but on Xbox 360 No.
    Linux on Xbox: Both yes but on Xbox 360 no one has figured out how to make Xbox Live work with Linux.
    Store bought USB device compatibility on Xbox: Depends on the device we're talking about if you're talking about USB flash drives it works just fine (just a simple use of a Read Only thing you're unable to transfer anything into any other device but a Xbox 360 Memory card and HDD)

    Indeed it does but at a higher cost... even though they lose money per console it's still rather expensive and this is why many people turned away from the PS3 to begin with and went to Wii or Xbox360 simply because of that high price but many were turned on by the freedom of the PS3 but there werent as many people turned on as there were who were turned off.

    I agree with you that they're both great gaming systems.

    Quote Originally Posted by FunK View Post
    What size HDD does it have? Does it rip CDs to MP3? Does it have WiFi standard on the better version? Wireless controllers on the standard version (I know that one too)?

    Can you manually upgrade the HDD with a store bought SATA HDD on the XBox?
    It varies last I checked I think it was everything from 11 - 13 gbs. But there are bigger hard drives for it and eventually there will be a 100gb 360 hard drive. Well i'm not sure what format it rips it into but it does rip it of course it's only to the 360 HDD and you can't extract it. No the better version doesn't have a WiFi standard it comes with a WiFi control and a HDD and even though you know this you want to see it come from me so no the standard version (aka Core).
    Last edited by pinguinosupremo; 03-15-07 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer a couple questions.

  9. #9
    Tortoises R0cks :D Rivas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,248
    Both are great consoles, but i like 360 more.Uriel is right with everything what he said, but from 1 year younger console i would expect much much more.And the price is crazy too.
    I'm connecting 360 to Windows MCE and i dont have problem ripping or transfering files both ways.Why should i rip it on 360 when i can do it on my PC way faster and with better quality.

    IMO consoles should be about gaming and nothing else, if you do have the option install there linux it's cool but i dont see a point.

    You are right it's about freedom but if i will have the opportunity connect there keyboard and mouse or vice versa (controller) and loosing in games because i'm in disadvantage i rather be playing on PC.

    Also can you connect your SONY blue ray to PC? Because MS HD DVD players can be connected to PC without problems.I didnt try connecting there HDD instead of DVD rom on SATA port (360) but when i will be in mood for it i will give it a shoot.

    Anyway there are always gonna be 2 camps, lets keep this new forum friendly as much as we can without any incidents or insults which console is better or worst.

    Have a nice day.
    To be human is to choose.


    It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

    - Emiliano Zapata

  10. #10
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by rivas View Post
    Both are great consoles, but i like 360 more.Uriel is right with everything what he said, but from 1 year younger console i would expect much much more.And the price is crazy too.
    I'm connecting 360 to Windows MCE and i dont have problem ripping or transfering files both ways.Why should i rip it on 360 when i can do it on my PC way faster and with better quality.

    IMO consoles should be about gaming and nothing else, if you do have the option install there linux it's cool but i dont see a point.

    You are right it's about freedom but if i will have the opportunity connect there keyboard and mouse or vice versa (controller) and loosing in games because i'm in disadvantage i rather be playing on PC.

    Also can you connect your SONY blue ray to PC? Because MS HD DVD players can be connected to PC without problems.I didnt try connecting there HDD instead of DVD rom on SATA port (360) but when i will be in mood for it i will give it a shoot.

    Anyway there are always gonna be 2 camps, lets keep this new forum friendly as much as we can without any incidents or insults which console is better or worst.

    Have a nice day.
    Don't worry about it any flamers shall be dealt with but I am not flaming or being mad about this at all but I was stating both consoles in this thread because there are problems with both and like you I think the 1 year younger console should be much better by now. In my opinion Microsoft is definately getting cocky and slacking off. Oh and the Blu-Ray is this actual drive itself thats built into it so they'd have to take it out and put it into an external casing in order for it to work and also I heard that windows wont be able to detect the 360 hard drive but in dos you can see it.

    Edit:

    Oh and I personally think it's kind of a cool thing that consoles are able to play movies since you pay a good sum of money to go ahead and pay for a gaming console why not just add something such as a blu ray player or dvd player that way you don't have to spend even more money on a seperate player just to play a dvd or blu ray (I believe this is also one reason why these consoles sold well.)
    Last edited by pinguinosupremo; 11-23-06 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Added a couple things.

  11. #11
    Tortoises R0cks :D Rivas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,248
    Quote Originally Posted by urielconsolo View Post
    Don't worry about it any flamers shall be dealt with but I am not flaming or being mad about this at all but I was stating both consoles in this thread because there are problems with both and like you I think the 1 year younger console should be much better by now. In my opinion Microsoft is definately getting cocky and slacking off. Oh and the Blu-Ray is this actual drive itself thats built into it so they'd have to take it out and put it into an external casing in order for it to work and also I heard that windows wont be able to detect the 360 hard drive but in dos you can see it.

    Edit:

    Oh and I personally think it's kind of a cool thing that consoles are able to play movies since you pay a good sum of money to go ahead and pay for a gaming console why not just add something such as a blu ray player or dvd player that way you don't have to spend even more money on a seperate player just to play a dvd or blu ray (I believe this is also one reason why these consoles sold well.)


    There is a hack already, you can connect it to PC like regular external drive.
    To be human is to choose.


    It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

    - Emiliano Zapata

  12. #12
    Regular Member FoamyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by rivas View Post
    It's to early too judge, i love 360 and wouldnt trade it for PS3 No bloody way.Time will tell us.
    I agree. 360 ROCKS!!!
    IBANEZ GUITARS!

  13. #13
    Resident Rodent Randy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    British Columbia Canada
    Posts
    12,004
    Quote Originally Posted by rivas View Post
    It's to early too judge, i love 360 and wouldnt trade it for PS3 No bloody way.Time will tell us.
    Have your tried the ps3?

    I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

    sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

  14. #14
    Tortoises R0cks :D Rivas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Have your tried the ps3?

    I played one game when they had the console on display, no idea what it was, video wise 360 is better, + i'm used to xbox controller so yes i tryed it and I didnt like it.
    To be human is to choose.


    It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

    - Emiliano Zapata

Similar Threads

  1. Xbox360, PS3, Wii? Or PC?
    By d2fanatic007 in forum Console Gaming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-21-06, 10:53 PM
  2. Ps3 Sucks, Xbox 360 0wnz !!!!!
    By Rivas in forum Console Gaming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-17-06, 04:54 PM
  3. Xbox 360 Ui
    By morbidpete in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-05, 10:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •