Thread: router upgrade question

Question router upgrade question

been a while since i posted here...hoping some of you pros can give me some advice whether to upgrade my current Linksys BEFSR41 hardwired router. i would like to know if upgrading to a newer router (had this linky about 4-5 yrs i think) will increase my download speed.

i have 2 puters hooked to the router from my cox (now suddenlink) cable modem...i don't need wireless as the 2 puters are separated only by a 4" sheetrock wall.

my service from suddenlink is 4Mbps and both puters have asus a7n8x-dlx (rev2)...i'll be upgrading them to asus m2n-e w/x-2 4600+ soon.

is a new router worth the upgrade & if so hope you will suggest some models???

thnx for any comments ...rookie
    Rookie (some day)

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Depending on the version you have....might be close, but I'd say if you have a 4 meg package it shouldn't be.

Most of the older routers starting becoming a bottleneck around 6-8 megs or higher. Many of todays newer router models, having faster processors, more RAM, will sustain 20 megs and even much highter. Needed for todays fasters internet connections that have been coming out.

Make sure router has latest firmware, MTU on the router set correctly (1500 for cable).

You could test your cable connection to see what your baseline speeds really are. Most cable ISPs, you only have to power off the modem for about 30 seconds..so it forgets the MAC of whatever was attached. Make sure your PC has the software firewall enabled, and you don't have a blank admin password. All windows updates, antivirus updated. This will ensure you're protected and can feel quite safe for a few minutes online running tests from a public IP. Plug PC into cable modem...run some online speed tests. That'll give you a decent baseline to compare against the tests from behind your router.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

thnx for the helpful comments YeOldeStonecat i give them a go.

thnx
    Rookie (some day)

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Depending on the version you have....might be close, but I'd say if you have a 4 meg package it shouldn't be.

Most of the older routers starting becoming a bottleneck around 6-8 megs or higher. Many of todays newer router models, having faster processors, more RAM, will sustain 20 megs and even much highter. Needed for todays fasters internet connections that have been coming out.

Make sure router has latest firmware, MTU on the router set correctly (1500 for cable).

You could test your cable connection to see what your baseline speeds really are. Most cable ISPs, you only have to power off the modem for about 30 seconds..so it forgets the MAC of whatever was attached. Make sure your PC has the software firewall enabled, and you don't have a blank admin password. All windows updates, antivirus updated. This will ensure you're protected and can feel quite safe for a few minutes online running tests from a public IP. Plug PC into cable modem...run some online speed tests. That'll give you a decent baseline to compare against the tests from behind your router.
    I would appreciate any help with a couple of follow up questions on this post:

My OS is Vista Ultimate (32bit) and my router is a Linksys BEFSR 41 v.2 (with last available firmware dated Aug 3, 2004 [1.46.02]).

1. When I look at my router setup in the Web Utility, the only reference to an MTU Value Setting is in the "Filters" Tab under the "Advanced" Tab and it notes that the MTU (1500) is "Disabled. Should this be Enabled or is this for other purposes? I don't see any other place to set the MTU Value in my Linky

2. When I try to connect my Cable Modem (D-Link DCM-202) to do speed test without router involved, I unplugged the Modem for about 2 minutes and then plugged the Ethernet cabled from the Modem directly to the PC and then reboot PC. The modem lights up fine including Ethernet light but I cannot go online. Vista Network Center message indicates "Unknown Network"..."Limited Access Only"

What am I doing wrong here. I have a Static Ip setup in Vista and NetBios over TCP/IP is enabled.
    Thanks for any help with these two questions
    Last edited by Rookie; 06-07-07 at 09:38 AM.
    Rookie (some day)

I prefer to enable MTU, and manually set it according to whatever type of broadband you have, IE...cable..1500. Many routers are supposed to "auto detect"..but that often gets wonky, if you manually set it, you know it's right.

If you remove the router and attempt to go online with your PC directly connected to the modem (scarey..you just lost you hardware firewall)...does your PC get a public IP address?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I prefer to enable MTU, and manually set it according to whatever type of broadband you have, IE...cable..1500. Many routers are supposed to "auto detect"..but that often gets wonky, if you manually set it, you know it's right.

If you remove the router and attempt to go online with your PC directly connected to the modem (scarey..you just lost you hardware firewall)...does your PC get a public IP address?
    Thanks for the rapid response YeOldeStonecat

Make sure your PC has the software firewall enabled, and you don't have a blank admin password. All windows updates, antivirus updated. This will ensure you're protected and can feel quite safe for a few minutes online running tests from a public IP.
    As you suggested I did these tasks before taking the hw firewall out. Hope I did right...

When you ask "does the PC get a public IP... I'm not sure as I did not do an IPConfig or other to check... I just assumed I was not connected and had done something incorrectly. Would my NetBios over TCP/IP setting cause this?

Should I have tried to "Repair" the network?

Thanks for your help with this
    Rookie (some day)

Netbios setting won't cause that.
    "Repair" just does an "ipconfig /renew"
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Netbios setting won't cause that.
    "Repair" just does an "ipconfig /renew"
    Thanks for your help YeOldeStonecat I'll try connecting the modem up direct to pc again and see if I can get public ip or perhaps leave the modem upplugged a bit longer next time
    Rookie (some day)