Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Gears Of War Review

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    when the wretches show up concentrate on them, eventually you kill them all and they stop coming and you can concentrate on the corpser again.
    Shooting him in the belly causes him to expose his vulnerable area

But the belly is the only one vulnerable area isnt it ?

Hey Blisster wanna play with us online, we usualy play during evening, me, Jamie_R & his son, Rosco, Jen, Gem and next week 7thkevin.We always do have well balanced teams you just have to watch out for Rosco and Gem they are good snipers.4 vs 4
    If you wanna play send us PM with your gamertag.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by rivas
    But the belly is the only one vulnerable area isnt it ?
    Shooting the belly opens up his mouth, shooting him up there should push him back.

When he's at the rear of the stage, shoot out the two metal grid clips (or whatever the hell they are). If you can't do it with the wretches bouncing around, do as Blisster says, as they'll eventually stop spawning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Shooting the belly opens up his mouth, shooting him up there should push him back.

When he's at the rear of the stage, shoot out the two metal grid clips (or whatever the hell they are). If you can't do it with the wretches bouncing around, do as Blisster says, as they'll eventually stop spawning.
    I got him, was shooting only into his belly, now i got berserk on my neck omg i hate them lol

- Emiliano Zapata

You guys should read this thread as it really dives into the heart of the game. I think by reading this you'll all learn something from it, be it a new bug or a good tactic.

http://forums.caleague.com/showthread.php?t=78081

Here is a snippet of part of the discussion so far:

Gears of War Impressions: Day One

Tonight, I received my copy of Gears of War at around 5 PM EST, and played multiplayer for about three hours. Participating in the bulk of games I played was Tyler07, and my team mate Excal. Getting straight into the mechanics of the game, from my time spent with the game - it delivers, and basically behaves as I speculated and described previously in my blogs. The movements are seamless. The game does have a learning curve of about 30 minutes to an hour, so you shouldn't expect to simply pick it up immediately and have a feel for it. You may find yourself cover slipping instead of mantling over cover or the like, but this is user error (in my case, as I was just warming up with the controls). Personally, it took me about 35 minutes to get everything tight - slamming against cover, cover slipping, rolling, etc, etc. However, once you get everything down, it feels wholly natural. The roadie run, the first time I used it, felt awkward and difficult to control, but after 5 or 10 minutes, things fell in place as you get used to controlling the direction your player moves in.

I just wanted to note that if you play this game expecting it to be Halo-esque in gameplay, or similar in mechanics, you're in for a rude awakening. It's an entirely different game with entirely different mechanics - however, an open mind will allow you to appreciate both for what they offer, and it's a great deal from both titles.

From my experiences tonight, the multiplayer is very rewarding and the matches are exciting, and should prove even more exciting when watching top teams play. The gameplay is fast and chaotic, but not chaotic to the point where you can't keep up with the action - it's very easy to follow things. Several times, there were some very clutch moments in gameplay, whether it be headshots or triple kills. Having a team mate lay down suppressing fire on Canals as you slam and mantle into and over cover on your way to get a kill is a satisfying feeling and really would make for some exciting matches. Auto-aim is very subtle, if present at all. This doesn't lead to clunky gameplay however, as things flow smoothly all the way through. Without a doubt, this game rewards those with superior hand-eye coordination - especially snipers. The Torquebow takes a considerable amount of skill to tag someone with the explosive arrow consistently, and I was able to land a few myself tonight.

However, I did run across a major beef with the game that the competitive community has to make clear to Epic, and that's the inability to choose starting weapons. The Lancer remains quite random in gameplay, as I stated in my piece about the HoD and the Lancer Rifle being unsuitable for competitive play. I honestly didn't have enough time with the HoD to determine, roughly, whether or not its suitable for competitive play. The Lancer Rifle, while random, should only see a few situations at high levels of play where the chainsaw is used. Backtracking for a moment, the inability to choose starting weapons makes it somewhat difficult to test for balance, assuming the person playtesting really feels the Lancer is not suitable for competitive play.

Tonight, I only played Warzone (which is LMS), which is GoW's primary gametype. I therefore cannot speak on Execution or Assassination, but Warzone is definitely a clear choice for competitive play and will require a lot of coordination to succeed in.

All in all: the gameplay delivers. Individual skill and team skills are necessary in order to play this game and have success with it.

I'll continue things with possible settings for competitive play for several maps. Expect that tomorrow evening.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    I have a few complaints so far in the game. The controls could be better. After playing the new R6 demo, i can say that Gears would be much better with this way of taking cover. Instead of off/oh with the A button they should have had HOLD LEFT TRIGGER for cover and let go to expose. I would also have made left thumbstick for run, push and run. Of course some other things woulda had to change but i think the cover situation would be ALOT smoother....its not too much of a problem unless you get stuck in cover mode when someone is close.

thats about it! great game!
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UOD
    You guys should read this thread as it really dives into the heart of the game. I think by reading this you'll all learn something from it, be it a new bug or a good tactic.

http://forums.caleague.com/showthread.php?t=78081

Here is a snippet of part of the discussion so far:

Gears of War Impressions: Day One

Tonight, I received my copy of Gears of War at around 5 PM EST, and played multiplayer for about three hours. Participating in the bulk of games I played was Tyler07, and my team mate Excal. Getting straight into the mechanics of the game, from my time spent with the game - it delivers, and basically behaves as I speculated and described previously in my blogs. The movements are seamless. The game does have a learning curve of about 30 minutes to an hour, so you shouldn't expect to simply pick it up immediately and have a feel for it. You may find yourself cover slipping instead of mantling over cover or the like, but this is user error (in my case, as I was just warming up with the controls). Personally, it took me about 35 minutes to get everything tight - slamming against cover, cover slipping, rolling, etc, etc. However, once you get everything down, it feels wholly natural. The roadie run, the first time I used it, felt awkward and difficult to control, but after 5 or 10 minutes, things fell in place as you get used to controlling the direction your player moves in.

I just wanted to note that if you play this game expecting it to be Halo-esque in gameplay, or similar in mechanics, you're in for a rude awakening. It's an entirely different game with entirely different mechanics - however, an open mind will allow you to appreciate both for what they offer, and it's a great deal from both titles.

From my experiences tonight, the multiplayer is very rewarding and the matches are exciting, and should prove even more exciting when watching top teams play. The gameplay is fast and chaotic, but not chaotic to the point where you can't keep up with the action - it's very easy to follow things. Several times, there were some very clutch moments in gameplay, whether it be headshots or triple kills. Having a team mate lay down suppressing fire on Canals as you slam and mantle into and over cover on your way to get a kill is a satisfying feeling and really would make for some exciting matches. Auto-aim is very subtle, if present at all. This doesn't lead to clunky gameplay however, as things flow smoothly all the way through. Without a doubt, this game rewards those with superior hand-eye coordination - especially snipers. The Torquebow takes a considerable amount of skill to tag someone with the explosive arrow consistently, and I was able to land a few myself tonight.

However, I did run across a major beef with the game that the competitive community has to make clear to Epic, and that's the inability to choose starting weapons. The Lancer remains quite random in gameplay, as I stated in my piece about the HoD and the Lancer Rifle being unsuitable for competitive play. I honestly didn't have enough time with the HoD to determine, roughly, whether or not its suitable for competitive play. The Lancer Rifle, while random, should only see a few situations at high levels of play where the chainsaw is used. Backtracking for a moment, the inability to choose starting weapons makes it somewhat difficult to test for balance, assuming the person playtesting really feels the Lancer is not suitable for competitive play.

Tonight, I only played Warzone (which is LMS), which is GoW's primary gametype. I therefore cannot speak on Execution or Assassination, but Warzone is definitely a clear choice for competitive play and will require a lot of coordination to succeed in.

All in all: the gameplay delivers. Individual skill and team skills are necessary in order to play this game and have success with it.

I'll continue things with possible settings for competitive play for several maps. Expect that tomorrow evening.

UOD we played over 100 online matches with pro players and newbies too, i cant say who is the best but Rosco with Jamie are getting most kills on 80% of the maps then it's me and the rest of us.
    So far we played only Warzone but i think we will try Assassination and Execution in couple of days.
    I cant speak for the rest of the team but i prefer shotgun, saw rifle only and smoke granades.
    And yeah team skills are must, me and Gem are providing cover and Rosco with Jamie usually do the kills.
    Awesome game !

- Emiliano Zapata

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    Yup it works pretty well when we team up! can't wait to get some more action in! Gem and i were practicing weapons on each other today. Surprisingly the range doesnt' seem to matter as much as we first thought. 2 steps seems to be the sweet spot for shotty!

Sadly doing this has seemed to open up the question of how much depth the game has. The bullets do the same damage it seems from chest to head and doesn't matter the range...
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoscoPColtrane
    Yup it works pretty well when we team up! can't wait to get some more action in! Gem and i were practicing weapons on each other today. Surprisingly the range doesnt' seem to matter as much as we first thought. 2 steps seems to be the sweet spot for shotty!

Sadly doing this has seemed to open up the question of how much depth the game has. The bullets do the same damage it seems from chest to head and doesn't matter the range...

Finally learned fast reload

- Emiliano Zapata