Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Gears Of War Review

My Gears Of War Review

ok, so I picked up GoW yesterday, and my son and I went through the campaign in co-op split screen for about 2 hours last night...

if you own a 360 - you must get this game! remember all the hype about "next-gen" gaming? well this is what they were talking about ... honestly it makes everything that has come out for the 360 pale in comparison ... the graphics (even on our standard t.v. - we don't have a high def. set yet) and the sound are just beyond anything out right now.

guys, I've played alot of games - nearly every shooter that has come out since the original DooM, and this is imho the best one I've ever played! I used to believe that a shooter couldn't be done as well for a console as a PC, but this game has proven me wrong ...

ok ... enough "fanboy" rant - let's talk about gameplay ...

If you are one of those "run & gun" types (like me), that likes to go in guns blazing and wipe out everything - you will die - often. This game places a heavy emphasis on staying under cover - but that's not a bad thing and takes nothing away from the experience at all. I'm not a fan of "cover" games, but I slipped right in w/ no problem.
    And the bad guys stay under cover too ... their tactics are almost as good as your squad ... and they are very even with you - ie; it takes quite a few bullets to drop these guys - probably as many shots as it takes for you to die, but again, I think that adds to the realism ... and honestly, your pulse will quicken when it looks like you're about to be overrun (hmmm - a healthy dose of "survival horror - LOL).

The controls are alot better than I thought they would be ... it took me 5 minutes to feel very comfortable with them - by the time you get through the training stage you'll be fine.

The cut scenes are incredible - it makes you feel like you're in a movie or something ... oh and speaking of camera ... when you do a crouch run (sprint), the camera drops behind you and it's like someone is chasing you with a hand-held - reminded me alot of the movie Black Hawk Down ... this is just another thing that adds to the coolness ...

Weapons we've come across so far -
    Machine Gun w/ a chainsaw bayonet - 'nuff said
    Pistol - useless.
    Shotgun - great for close range - if you can get close to one of the bad guys w/o dying.
    Locust Gun (I forget the exact name) - not bad, but it ain't the machine gun - actually, when I was picking up the Hammer, I dropped my machine gun and picked this one up by mistake, and now I can't find another machine gun
    Hammer Of Dawn: a targeting laser - you target something and it gets frickin' fried by an orbiting satellite (think Ion Painter from UT)

Nothing I can type can give you a feel for the immersion you will experience with this game ... I haven't found one thing I don't like about it ...

oh yeah - you know in co-op modes on other games how basically the two of you are just carbon copies of each other? not in GoW ... your teammate (Dane) would be there even if you were playing alone - he would just be A.I.
    We thought that was pretty cool The co-op factor is fully integrated into the storyline and doesn't feel "bolted-on" at all. We're playing on "Hardcore" and I don't think either of us could get through it by ourselves ...

Like I said - if you own a 360 - you need this game

If yall think of anything you want to know, please ask - I'm sure I haven't even scratched the surface, but I wanted to get something up asap for the folks who haven't gotten this baby yet

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

That sounds very nice! I think I may be forced to by an Xbox for titles like this.
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

I've read some reviews that say this title alone is worth buying a 360 for ....

... dunno if I'd drop that much $$$ to play one game - I'm just glad we have one

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    Picking it up this afternoon, going to reserve R6- vegas too!
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoscoPColtrane
    Picking it up this afternoon, going to reserve R6- vegas too!

Got it! PM me your live gamertag! I enjoy it, it is not run and gun like halo, even tho sometimes i wish it were a bit more run and gun. Its great so far!
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

I picked it yp before i went to hospital, one 4ss stole collectors edition i wanted to get it so much
    Didnt play it yet.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Jamie i dont know i havent been online today on live but i sent request on live yesterday and you didnt reply.
    whats going on

- Emiliano Zapata

hey Rivas ... I got your request and added ya ... I don't know - I might've done something wrong - I'll have to get my son to help me

I'll be on tonite prolly around 6:00 or 7:00 e.s.t.

Oh yeah - don't forget about the Emergence Day Event Sunday! Looks Awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_R
    hey Rivas ... I got your request and added ya ... I don't know - I might've done something wrong - I'll have to get my son to help me

I'll be on tonite prolly around 6:00 or 7:00 e.s.t.

Oh yeah - don't forget about the Emergence Day Event Sunday! Looks Awesome!!

Of course bud
    I just took a look, yes you are in my friend list
    Cant wait to play with you

- Emiliano Zapata

This is one wicked sick game.
    I cant believe it, best game ever.
    I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by rivas
    This is one wicked sick game.
    I cant believe it, best game ever.
    I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yep - I think that about sums it up

It has its problems but is a solid 9/10 game. Probobly 9.5/10, it is NOT perfect. The controls sometimes screwed me up online, would toss me to a wall when i was running and such.

Also play campaign and kill the first SEEDER with the laser thing, go back to the room where you had to fend off the things that crawl on the ceiling, go all the way to the rocks down at the far end, you can walk straight threw them into another room, becareful becuase you can get stuck, just be sure to have some frags for suicide if you get stuck.....needed more polishing i think. THere is no reason to ever go back there so they shoulda blocked the door off somehow!

J B K M

I have only one complain, when we were playing deathmatch i felt into some green swamp and i drowned.And i was in warehouse no water what so ever.
    Yes the controls are little bit difficult but its because we have to take cover as much as possible and sometimes you get stuck and before you hit A again you are dead especialy when somebody is running behind you with chain saw lol
    Oh and i hate playing Aliens in this game, they have so big heads grrrrr.
    This game is getting 9.9 points from me.

- Emiliano Zapata

Awesome frikkin game.
    The co-op intergration is so well done. I was playing it at about 2am saturday night, down in the mines, stuck at the the Corpser, had died about 20 times.
    Well I see that my friend had just signed into Xbox Live so I sent him an invite. 30 seconds later, he pops into the game as Dom and tells me he is about to head to bed. I told him I just needed help with the Corsper so he helps me beat him (took about 10 minutes) and then logs off and I continue on my merry way.
    It was so seamless, I can't imagine any new games that wouldn't do it that way.
    This game rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Looks like theres potential for a PC port for this game after directx10 is released.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Looks like theres potential for a PC port for this game after directx10 is released.
    I'd expect one *maybe* in a year or so

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It was so seamless, I can't imagine any new games that wouldn't do it that way.
    And this is exactly the reason why I/O's Kane & Lynch needs to add online co-op to be anything above a AA title.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    Awesome frikkin game.
    The co-op intergration is so well done. I was playing it at about 2am saturday night, down in the mines, stuck at the the Corpser, had died about 20 times.
    This game rocks!

I'm there, cant get through corpser, he backed up 2 times and then wretches showed up, they always kill me ****.
    I'm shooting him into belly because its his weak spot but i died many times.I'm stuck there.
    Yes this game rocks, you should see us when we play online, freaking massacre.

- Emiliano Zapata

when the wretches show up concentrate on them, eventually you kill them all and they stop coming and you can concentrate on the corpser again.
    Shooting him in the belly causes him to expose his vulnerable area