Thread: Tweaks Causing Timeouts on Netgear FWG114P, Win2K, WinXP - What's Happening?

Tweaks Causing Timeouts on Netgear FWG114P, Win2K, WinXP - What's Happening?

I applied all the registry tweaks from the broadband registry section to all the systems on my home and work network. I do notice that on all the computers on both networks, there is intermittent network timeouts when the computers are trying to access web pages (but connectivity to other computers on the network are fine). Since that is a bit vague, for example: I will hit some particular website, it'll work great. Then on another, it will load about half way and my entire internet connection just times out. There is something here causing my router to lock me down from web browsing at random times because as soon as I change my computer's IP number, all internet access if functional again. Change it back, then it doesn't work (I assign manual IP's to everyone on the LAN). Given a few minutes, eventually the router lets traffic go smoothly again. It appears that the tweaks are making the router think I am being hacked and thus locks down traffic from that IP. At the same time however, nothing is being logged into the router, which is even more confusing. This issue comes up on practically all web pages and is off and on. It probably happens a couple times a day. What's even more unusual, while the internet is down when this happens, my BitTorrent uploads/downloads are still operational.

Anyway, I wrote up a registry script to apply all my various tweaks. It is attached here:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D

6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider]
    "DnsPriority"=dword:00000007
    "HostsPriority"=dword:00000006
    "LocalPriority"=dword:00000005
    "NetbtPriority"=dword:00000008

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters]
    "NetFailureCacheTime"=dword:00000000
    "NegativeSOACacheTime"=dword:00000000
    "NegativeCacheTime"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
    "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:0000000A
    "MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:0000000A

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
    "MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:0000000A
    "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:0000000A

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
    "DisableTaskOffload"=dword:00000000
    "TCPWindowSize"=dword:0003ebc0
    "GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize"=dword:0003ebc0
    "DefaultTTL"=dword:00000040
    "EnablePMTUDiscovery"=dword:00000000
    "EnablePMTUBHDetect"=dword:00000000
    "SackOpts"=dword:00000001
    "TcpMaxDupAcks"=dword:0000002
    "Tcp1323Opts"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NdisWan\Parameters\Protocols\0]
    "ProtocolMTU"=dword:000005D4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
    "NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000001
    "NoLogoff"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
    "Win95TruncatedExtensions"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoLogoff"=dword:00000001
    "NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000001
    "NoNethood"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "MenuShowDelay"="0"
    "SmoothScroll"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters]
    "EnableBigLba"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    "LargePageMinimum"=dword:ffffffff

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\BIOS]
    "PCIConcur"=dword:00000001
    "AGPConcur"=dword:00000001
    "FastDRAM"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    "ClearPageFileAtShutdown"=dword:00000001
    "DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001
    "LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0

000]
    "EnableUDMA66"=dword:00000001
    And on another note, we are using 3.0Mb DSL provided by AT&T/SBC connecting through an older model SpeedStream modem and a Netgear FWG114P wifi router. Some suggestions would be much appreciated.

Try this modification:

"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:0000000a
    "MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000008

Cool, I will try that max connections. I had a feeling it might be it but wasn't sure. Originally I had it at 14 and reduced it to 10. I'll bring it down to 8 and see what happens. Since this is an intermittent problem, it'll take some time to test.

Aside from the max number of connections issue, any other suggestions that I might want to attempt should this fix not work? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by singularity2006
    Aside from the max number of connections issue, any other suggestions that I might want to attempt should this fix not work?
    This is the only Registry tweak related to Optimization of Internet Explorer, affecting loading of web pages in HTTP 1.1 and 1.0.

Note that this tweak has no effect on non-IE browsers.

That in mind, let me also make this observation. When that timeout occurs, my existing logon to the AIM service is still active. I am able to send and receive messages without a problem. Disconnecting the program, I will be unable to logon again until the router unlocks me or I change the computer's IP number. The same is for all my other programs that have existing connections such as Yahoo Messenger or MSN Messenger or BitTorrent. That in itself makes it odd because those chat programs do not have anything to do with the tweak mentioned here ...

Do you get a similar problem with FireFox, or only IE?

Quote Originally Posted by trogers
    Do you get a similar problem with FireFox, or only IE?
    So far so good.... as for Firefox, I never use it. I got tired of trying sooooo many new pieces of software years ago and began cutting back on a lot. Just use IE.

Quote Originally Posted by trogers
    Try this modification:

"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:0000000a
    "MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000008

I just noticed that you have a different value for Per1_0Server than PerServer. What's the difference between the Per1_0Server and PerServer?

I just noticed that you have a different value for Per1_0Server than PerServer. What's the difference between the Per1_0Server and PerServer?
    Per1_0Server refers to HTTP/1.0 while PerServer refers to HTTP/1.1

The differences between these two protocols are explained at this link:

http://www.research.att.com/~bala/papers/h0vh1.html

HTTP/1.1 uses persistent connections and pipelining. When you have connection issues, we experiment on reducing the number of PerServer connections. That is why this becomes 8 instead of 10.
    Last edited by trogers; 11-10-06 at 12:56 AM.

Cool, thanks for the info. So far, I have not seen any crashes on the connection. I'll report on the results.

Okay, so after a few days of using the lowered number, I found it made no difference. I ended up removing the MaxConnectionsPerServer from the registry entirely and it made things work slightly better. Webpages where there are many images clearly load up slower than while the tweak was enabled. And in instances where i observed that weird lockup, it was much shorter than when the tweak was active. I simply had to give it about 10-15 seconds, then open a new browser window and I was good to go. The other way.... just didn't work.

And also, I realized that for some reason, I never experience this issue while at school or at a wifi hot spot, I never experience the issue. That said.... what's the likelihood this is a router issue? And why the heck would Netgear do such a crummy job with this line of routers? Actually, I've read a lot of junk about this particular line of routers after I bought a whole mess of them for home, work, and clients... bah ~.~ But sadly, none of the reviews said much about this weird lock problem.

what's the likelihood this is a router issue? And why the heck would Netgear do such a crummy job with this line of routers?
    Would Netgear have a latest firmware to correct the problem?

I've read through the firmware upgrades available for the FWG114P and none have any fixes for the described behavior. On top of that, I realized that 4 out of 4 times, I was never able to get the FWG114P to ever properly upgrade. Any attempts would appear to succeed only causing the router to crash later on or lockup during menial tasks such as sending files via AIM. There's a whole slew of issues with the FWG114P for no reason at all.... I don't know what happened to that particular model, but of the four FWG114P's that I've used, I've had to send back two for RMA repair after crashes from the firmware update to get a refurb and two others, I've had to flash back to its original firmware or downgrade to the 1.0 version. I never had this problem wit the FR114P, the non-wireless version. But seriously, Netgear botched it royally with the FWG114P and all ProSafe wireless routers after that. I don't plan on attempting any flashing anytime soon, that's for sure. As for a router upgrade, I've spent too much on our network so far and to spend anymore ... I'll pass. In anycase, things seem to work now after removing the MaxConnections tweak entirely......

oh, and to add: all 4 of the routers came from different places. 1 came from Fry's electronics, the other came from Newegg.com. The third my cousin purchased from some retailer somewhere, and the fourth was a swap with Netgear RMA. Seriously !@#$ routers. After much tweaking, it works now, albeit with that hanging issue still there.....

If MaxConnectionsPerServer violates HTTP rules, what can we do?

I noticed that for certain servers, if I enable having more than 2 connections per server at a time, the servers as well as my router detect my connections as a DoS attack and shut down my port 80 traffic. That in mind, if we cannot increase max number of connections in IE, what else can we do to increase performance of those 2 lines? And this is of course prefaced with the fact that I've implemented everything else on the speedguide tweaks..... anything else that is a bit more advanced?

Wow i have the EXACT same problem.
    Sometimes web pages will timeout, but if i am signed in to msn messenger it will keep working, yet if i sign out i can't sign back in. Also bittorent will continue working...

The only way to fix it seems to be to reset the modem, then it will work fine for another hour or so.

Did you ever work out the problem or how to fix it?