Thread: Bell Sympatico - This is Ultra High Speed?

Bell Sympatico - This is Ultra High Speed?

I'm not impressed for $45/mth.
    got old

Sympatico does not offer an official speed test at this time.

Results from speed tests can vary widely due to all sorts of problems. Therefore, it is wise to select and perform a variety of speed tests available here that are close to your physical location to ensure that you are getting consistent results.

MTS/Sympatico/Bell are all sister companies I believe. I don't get very good results with MTS either, but I hear Shaw SUCKS so I won't switch to them.

Here's my results:

I'm using the MTS lightning plan.

At least your getting this, what kind of modem do you have - Speed Stream 5200 ?

I have been stuck with their old 1 Meg Nortel modem with only 800kbps down and 108kbps up for 6 years. I phoned them to send me a newer ADSL2 modem and they sent me a refurbished 5200. The 5200 is suppose to be able to perform 24mbps down and 1.5mbps up, but their regular HSE and HS Ultra is only rated at 5mbps down and 800kbps up. I also upgraded to their stupid Ultra service for the simple reason it was $6 cheaper a month than my regular HSE that I have been subscribing to for the past 6 years. I will switch back to regular HSE in a year after the Ultra offer expires. I am currently waiting for them to switch my line to their ADSL2 network and awaiting if I get any better performance.

I am going to complain to Bell about the following which I am pissed:

1. Not advising customers with old Nortel modems to upgrade to a faster modem even though they are paying for a faster line.

2. Complicated switch over from ADSL1 to ADSL2, since the 2 types of modems are not compatible with each other and you must check when it is switched over.

3. Lousy customer service that takes you around the world to India where service techs can hardly speak English.

4. Why have regular HSE and Ultra when they have the same performance with only some stupid anti-virus software for $10 more for the Ultra. This is very confusing, your not getting anything faster with the Ultra !
    Last edited by EdTo; 05-04-07 at 08:20 PM.

Update

I got so pissed off with their run around I sent an email to Bell Canada Enterprises' corporate office and did I get a response and action fast !

The VP of operations phones me the next morning by admitting that my claims are justify in that customers with their old Nortel modem are being short changed with only 1meg down and 120 up as they are paying for a 5meg down and 800 up. He offers me a one year credit for my HSE service and promise me that my switch over from ADSL1 to ADSL2 would be done immediately instead of another 4 days.

The tech that re wrote my profile phoned me to confirm thats the best they can do with this technology now with only 512 up and not the stated 800 up So again is Sympatico lying to their customers ? I think I got this royal treatment because he knows I can esculate this to a class action suit to those millions of customers still with the 1 meg Nortel modem.

Last edited by EdTo; 05-04-07 at 08:36 PM.

Update

Another call to Bell to raise my upload speed from 512 to 800 and I got another 240kbs up just for asking. They changed my profile with no questions asked, I just wonder why they just don't it in the first place ? Is it because this can save them bandwidth to the vast unsuspecting public ?

Hi EdTo,

Can you tell me more about how you got Bell to change you upload speeds...who do I contact and where; address, phone number? I'm having the exact same problem right now and have talked to several tech support people, customer service and managers and none are willing to help me. They are telling me that my line and their service only allows 512kb/sec upload speeds but I've been getting close to 700kb/s all along.

My upload speed used to be enabled to be up to 800kbs but since I "upgraded" to their "performance" package, my speeds have dropped and now they are telling me that I'm only able to get 512kb/s max! They are giving me the run around and I'm getting no satisfaction.

Thanks in advance, hope to hear how you got through to them because I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTo View Post
    Another call to Bell to raise my upload speed from 512 to 800 and I got another 240kbs up just for asking. They changed my profile with no questions asked, I just wonder why they just don't it in the first place ? Is it because this can save them bandwidth to the vast unsuspecting public ?

When they originally connected my modem to ADSL2, the tech phoned me and said that 512kbs up was the best he could do. I then use their online chat service and they checked my line was able to use that higher speeds and they put in a work order and it was changed in day. Bell is trying to save bits and pieces of bandwidth when you combined the 10s and 100s thousands of customers it all adds up in bandwidth saved for them. If they say they can't upgrade your speed, tell them to give you a rebate on the slower speeds.

Thanks EdTo,

I finally got results but it took me nearly 3 weeks of talking to tech support people, their managers, the customer service etc. Yesterday, and finally I spoke to a manager in Ottawa about it and they switched me back to 800kbps upload profile. He told me that the other techs I spoke with were incorrect and that 512kbps wasn't the limit. HOWEVER, he told me that he can see that I'm losing packets with this higher speed on my line. I just told him that I had been getting this higher speed for at least a year and that things were fine on my end with the speeds.

Man, what a hassle this was getting things straightened out but I do have my original speeds back now and that is fine with me.

URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/URL]

Thanks for your help.

When they originally connected my modem to ADSL2, the tech phoned me and said that 512kbs up was the best he could do. I then use their online chat service and they checked my line was able to use that higher speeds and they put in a work order and it was changed in day. Bell is trying to save bits and pieces of bandwidth when you combined the 10s and 100s thousands of customers it all adds up in bandwidth saved for them. If they say they can't upgrade your speed, tell them to give you a rebate on the slower speeds.

I got so pissed off with their run around I sent an email to Bell Canada Enterprises' corporate office and did I get a response and action fast !
    Would you mind giving me the address? I'm having my own problems with BS, which I've detailed over at Broadband Reports http://www.dslreports.com/comment/412/63838 I sent an e-mail message to Kevin Crull President, Bell Residential Services, over the weekend, and haven't received even an acknowledgement.