Thread: Removing audio tracks form DVDs

Removing audio tracks form DVDs

I'm making some back-up DVD's of my favorite TV series DVDs. I want to know if it's possible to remove the French, Spanish and other languages as well as all sub-titles from the audio protion of the .VOB files. Keeping only the English audio and video.

I want to do this to try and get a sightly better files sizes. My goal is to get an hour long show to fit on a mini DVD-R 1.4 GB disk.

I'm using AnyDVD 5.9.4.1 to rip the DVDs to a folder and then Nero 7 to burn each VOB file to blank mini DVD-R disk.

Anyone know how to strip off the extra languages and sub-titles?
    USAF RETIRED

DVDShrink allows you to do that (remove languages). I'm not sure, however, if you'll be able to shrink it down to 1.4GB.

http://www.dvdshrink.org - free

Good luck.

Thats gonna be a tight fit. The stuff I have on my hard drive thats an hour long are about 2.2 gigs with the extra languages off. You'll probably have to give up some quality.

Loosing some quality would be fine versus replacing a single DVD out of a series. I'll checkout the DVDshrink

Thanks
    USAF RETIRED

Humm... I have a follow up question... How can I merge .VOB files? It seems some of the files are needed to complete an entire episode off a show.

I'm not positive, but from looking at seperate files within the folder I ripped the DVD to. There seems to be more then one VOB file needed to watch a hour long show. Can these be merged to one file?

Thanks a heap for the DVDshrink tip. I removed about 430 meg from my 1st DVD, so far on the 1st 4 show on the DVD i'm ripping. the .VOB files are about 1 gig a pop or 850K. So it's looking good so far.
    USAF RETIRED

Ya in the options of dvd shink you can set it to just make 1 vob file. there will still be a couple other files but when you play the big vob alone it will have everythign in it, I just delete the other stuff after it rips it.

if the dvd player can play divx or xvid codec files, consider useing auto gordian knot , the quality is slightly less than DVD but may be acceptable.