Thread: connection dropping on 2 router network

connection dropping on 2 router network

Hello
    I have exactly the same problem as joe_hydro had http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=207917
    but I don't want to carry out his work-around as I want the set-up to stay how it is for reasons that will become clear

I used to have a large (well large for a home network) network all running off the one router (a linksys befsr41 v3). All was well. attached to this router was a wireless access point. over this home network there were lots of directories shared. For reasons that I won't go into I wanted to reduce the level of security on the wireless access and therefore want to stop connections from the wireless access point from accessing the shared drives on the network. I have done this by adding another router. You can see a picture of the network here

http://www.dogtanian.org.uk/lan.pdf (you can probably ignore the bottom half of the picture the important bit is the top, Oh and sorry it is a PDF)

As you can see I have the entire network plugged into the 'small router' (an origo bbr-1400) on the 192.168.0.x subnet then I have the wan port of that router plugged into the linksys router and pointing to it's local address (10.0.0.1) as well as the wireless access point.

Computers can connect to the wireless access point but when the 'main' network is busy they cannot use the internet or even ping the linksys router at 10.0.0.1. It is the same if I plug a PC directly into the linksys router. it cannot see the internet. If I then unplug the 'main network' (i.e. the 'small origo router in the picture) then computers attached to the wireless network or plugged directly into the linksys router can access the interent fine.

By the way the main network never loses it's connection.

I have dhcp enabled on the small origo router but not on the linksys.
    I have tried turning dynamic routing on on the linksys and I have tried using the manual routing but I may not have done that correctly as I don't know what I am doing with that. I have the latest flash upgrade for the linksys but I don't know about the origo.

Any help would be appreciated

andy

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Any and all wireless traffic....you're happy as long as it's all separated from your LAN? I see what looks like an open one, going to "Marks".

And you want to keep any other potential traffic from just that open wireless from poking around? (the 10.0.0.x)

You have the other wireless being used..but as a bridge, to "Carlos"...so that's most likely safe (since you're probably bridging using MAC)

So basically you want all your 10.0.0.xxx potentials, to stay away from all the PCs in the 192.168.0.xxx

As you may have noticed in some of my other posts...I'm not a fan of double NATing networks. If you MUST double NAT for security..you do have yours setup correctly...the wireless router on the outside, the more secured network on the inside of the second router. The outside network cannot go against your NAT. However..you end up with hiccups whenever you double NAT...you notice this more frequently when using lesser grade hardware.

2x areas which may interest you in looking at.....as potential avenues for you to pursue....

*Newer wireless gear...and routers, and switches, especially when stepping into SOHO/small business grade hardware. You have options of separate SSIDs, port based VLANs..even "Wireless Isolation" modes that will put every wireless client on their own VLAN....so wireless clients can't go anywhere but out to the internet. Also options of looking at switches that support port based VLANs...make a VLAN for your home, and a VLAN for your open wireless AP. This way you just have 1x router, 1x subnet, keeping things simple, yet separate.

*Consider building a linux based router....looks like you may have access to "leftover computer hardware". Take a midrange P3 box, 256 megs or a little more...slap together a nice IPCop, Endian, or m0n0wall box. Create a 3rd zone for your wireless..the "blue" zone.

*If you can come across a Linksys wrt54g series..."most" of their models support being flashed by some neat 3rd party firmware such as DD-WRT. Gives you many cool features such as VLANs, etc.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks for the prompt response. I'll look through it in detail later (with a dictionary of networking terms :-).

I think I have worked out what my problem was. I had rather stupidly set the wan address of my small origo router to 10.0.0.1 (which is obviously the address of the linksys router) I have reset it to 10.0.0.3 and it seems to be working fine.

While I don't want to talk too soon as it is a bit of an intermittent problem it is typical. I've been trying to sort this for a month now, as soon as I post for help I work it out within half a hour

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by leedsdog
    I think I have worked out what my problem was. I had rather stupidly set the wan address of my small origo router to 10.0.0.1 (which is obviously the address of the linksys router) I have reset it to 10.0.0.3 and it seems to be working fine.
    Yeah..that'll cut your traffic just a bit. "Which way do I go George?"

Make sure the 10.0.0.3 address is outside the DHCP pool of the Linksys (by default Linksys routers like to start their DHCP pool at .100 so you're probably OK)
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!