Thread: Uninstalling Redhat Linux

Slide

Post Uninstalling Redhat Linux

My son installed this proggie on a computor with 2 hard drives. Re-installed win98. Now I cannot access the second drive. Is there a way to convert this drive back to fat32? Can I save the info on that drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Slide

glc1

You need to format the MBR (Master Boot Record).

Boot to DOS w/a Win98 boot disk and type:
    fdisk /mbr

Slide

Thank you for the response. I tried that already, but the drive in question is the slave drive... How do I handle this?

glc1

fdisk /mbr didn't work on the slave drive?

Slide

It sure didn't... I even made that drive my primary master, did fdisk /mbr. Then when I go into fdisk, it still shows up as a non-dos partition.

glc1

Have you tried deleting all the partitions and repartitioning?

Slide

Not yet. I would like to save the info on that drive if possible.

nbk_mtech

There is a program called Lost and Found that can restore data as long as it has not physically been written over. A trashed MBR, a FDISK, or even a format will not delete this data. Lost and Found can restore it.

Juggernaut

fdisk /mbr just clears the MBR, this would just remove a boot loader u may have, like LILO. You either have to run FDISK and convert the drive back to FAT. PartitionMagic could convert as well, but I'm not completely sure if it would save the data or not.

Another thing u could do is boot into Linux and copy all the data that you want to save over to your other drive, since Linux can read and write to Fat32 partitions. And then you could wipe the drive with FDISK since all your data is backed up.

glc1

I don't know if FDSIK or Partition Magic will be able to convert the Linux partition(s) back to FAT32. A low-level format may have to be performed.

Stef

The problem that your experiencing would make me think that Windows is puking at the fact that you have a Non-DOS primary partition.

Boot into RedHat, run FDISK (Not the same as Microsoft FDISK) of CFDISK and re-edit your partition table. With the Linux partitioning tools you'll be able to delete the Linux ext2 filesystem and swap partitions and create a FAT 16 otr 32 partition. The advantage of using a Linux partitioning tool is that it will allow you to delete your primary partitions without removing the extended partition from the partition table.

Words of advice, read the manual pages on fdisk and cfdisk before using them. (man fdisk , man cfdisk at the bash prompt)

Stef