Thread: uTorrent problems / Maybe with Bellsouth

uTorrent problems / Maybe with Bellsouth

Anyone having this problem with uTorrent
    No matter how many active and well seeded torrents i add, i never get over 30k. contacted bellsouth and they said they were not capping torrent ports but im still suspicious of this as the cause. port is set to static in utorrent and its been fowarded on my router as well...restarted the computer, router, modem and switch and still the same result.

Speed tests are all good and regular surfing and such are fine, it's just uTorrent.

i never have used utorrent, have you tried Azureus to see if it is any better ?

utorrent's always worked great for me...very light little program. I really think this is my ISP's doing though the tech i spoke with was clueless about it, or at least pretended to be.

Your little signal thing on the bottom is always green? Or do you get the Yellow triangle? Click on their help page becaus ethere are a lot of known problems with certain routers listed on their site. You might need the TCP/IP patch. If you have UPNP turned on then try turning it off. Also turn off DHT. In the Torrent box click on Peers and right click on a peer and uncheck resolve IP's. Its a good program but it needs tweaking.

Try newsgroups ...much faster.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Quote Originally Posted by thepieman
    Your little signal thing on the bottom is always green? Or do you get the Yellow triangle? Click on their help page becaus ethere are a lot of known problems with certain routers listed on their site. You might need the TCP/IP patch. If you have UPNP turned on then try turning it off. Also turn off DHT. In the Torrent box click on Peers and right click on a peer and uncheck resolve IP's. Its a good program but it needs tweaking.

Try newsgroups ...much faster.

Pie
    Pie: I'll try those things, but it's Funny i've never encountered these issues with uTorrent before.

Mark: thanks for the suggestion...Azureus seems to work much better.

I usually use torrents for tv shows...much quicker than searching thru newsgroups but I own and have been using Newsbin Pro for years

newsleacher search function is worth the money to me

why do you have to search the newsgroups? alt.binaries.tv has alot of the tv episodes, new and old ones.

I used Azureus. I just didn't like the fact that it relied on java. I used to use Bitlord and went to Utorrent recently because the private tracker I used started banning Bitlord. I had a few problems and so did some other people recently with utorrent too...maybe it was the new version that came out?

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

it is kinda like a google search of newsgroups, just enter phrase or keyword, and so much easier to find stuff.

you would be suprised where some good stuff is hidden.

how do the torrents work ?
    i saw you guys are talking about a b c u k etc etc torrents, what is the difference?
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

BitComet FTW. I'm not installing Java just for Azureus.
    "I was once banned from a bookstore for moving all the bibles to fiction"

i use utorrent b/c it's light. there's nothing wrong w/ java you silly ppl -- just because software uses a VM doesn't make it slower or the devil (depends on the application <-- not the software, but HOW the technology is applied to BUILD the software) that said, i'm not a fan or azures personally. let me repeat: java is NOT slow - it depends on the circumstance and what you're doing with it. e.g., if you're trying to write an OpenGL game -- don't expect much use something else. trying to write a large system then it'll be great, same w/ applications.

Quote Originally Posted by rivas
    how do the torrents work ?
    i saw you guys are talking about a b c u k etc etc torrents, what is the difference?

watch this streaming video , taken from here Under the hood of BitTorrent

found the problem with uTorrent...it seems your download speeds are affected by what you set you global upload to. I like to limit the max upload so that my internet connection doesn't die, but it looks like the newer versions of utorrent have a built in ratio feature.

Anyone have an older version they would like to share with me?

I have version 1.6

I can cap the upload to 10 kb/s and still get 500 kb/s download with uTorrent.

The only problem I've seen with utorrent so far is that when you start a torrent sometimes the program doesn't create the directory or the files when you start downloading and when you try to open the directory it gives you the "directory doesn't exist" error.
    Asus p4p800 Deluxe Mobo - Pentium 4 3.2 @ 3.6 - Thermaltake Spark7 HSF - Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 - ATI Radeon x850 XT PE 256mb - Maxtor 120 GB 8mb cache - Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 - Altec Lansing 5.1 Sattelites w/sub - Cooler Master Cavalier 3 case