Thread: PC Really Slowing Down - Any Ideas?

Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar

PC Really Slowing Down - Any Ideas?

I've got an old machine with Windows XP on it that is suddenly slowing down. Windows update is up to date. I've got Norton Antivirus up to date, have run Spybot and Ad-Aware to remove any spyware regularly (all I get is "bad "cookies really). I'm behind a router with a few ports open for the odd game and such (although most opened for the static IP of another computer).

I have very little installed, C Drive has 7 Gig installed on it and I probably set up this machine early in 2006. I clean the internet cache and restore points every time that I run a backup approx. 1 time a month.

Also, if I try to run the TrendMicro online virus scan it seems to keep freezing up and repeating trying to start up. This is why I wondered if there was some kind of virus on the machine non detected by Norton. One time I did notice svchost.exe was taking a lot of computer cycles, after a reboot I think that went away.

Any thoughts on some software I should try for diagnosis.

Download the ultimate boot cd and run DFT on it (hard disk surface scan util, specifically, run an Advanced Scan). If it passes, then reinstall winblows. If it fails, replace your hard disk and reinstall winblows. When you say slowing down, I take it to mean tremendous slow down -- e.g. 5-10 minutes to boot. If this is not the case, try taking programs out of startup using msconfig or Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Yeah more or less it takes 2x-3x longer to boot and then once booted it seems to go in spurts where it is unresponsive. For example, I can move the mouse around fine but then when I double click on things it might not open the window for 2 minutes.

Bad hard drive is a potential issue, good advice thanks.

Sure, my pleasure. It's always worth checking the hardware, especially when it just takes 20 or 30 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Amro
    Download the ultimate boot cd and run DFT on it (hard disk surface scan util, specifically, run an Advanced Scan). If it passes, then reinstall winblows. If it fails, replace your hard disk and reinstall winblows. When you say slowing down, I take it to mean tremendous slow down -- e.g. 5-10 minutes to boot. If this is not the case, try taking programs out of startup using msconfig or Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    Okay, I'm having troublefinding "DFT". Is it available on the menu or do I have to go to the dos prompt and find it? Can you tell me the exact name if possible, I just don't have the patience to dig for this for 4 hours.