Thread: ADSL Speed Question

ADSL Speed Question

Hello i switched to SBC DSL (384kb-1.5MB) lately from dial up...and the downloads only go up to 80kb? ... is that..really how high it goes?

hmm im also using a Linksys router.. but i dont think thats the problem.. since it is also 80kb when i directly connect to the modem..

That is not a normal speed for DSL. The problem could be either the telephone wiring ( inside and/or outside your house), or, more likely, your distance from your telephone company's nearest CO (central office). The limit is about 3 miles. If your any further than that, your connection will begin to deteororate.

Also, it could be that there is a problem with the modem, your ethernet card, or the ethernet cable running from the modem to your ethernet card. If you have a spare ethernet card or some spare ethernet cable, try them and see what happens. If nothing changes, then the problem is either the wiring or the modem, in which case you need to have a technician come out to take a look at things.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You sure it's not KB/s transfer speeds? 80 wouldn't be too bad if you were 12,000 - 15,000 feet from the CO. Most DSL ISPs will only support up to 17,500 feet from the CO. If you're say..around 14,000 feet from the CO...you'd see about 750kb/s. Divide by 8..and....

So perhaps you're a bit closer to 16,000 feet from the CO..which would put that as quite normal. When I had DSL, I was 14,500 from the CO..I'd range from 80-about 120 peak..depending on where I was downloading from.

So take a look at that transfer speed a bit closer...downloading a file from within IE or FF or something...you should see a big "B"...Bytes. Different from "Bits"..which is how ISP/bandwidth measurements usually are.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Natsukikuga....lets be sure about what you're measuring. Indeed yes you are most likely just forgetting a cap B...but until we know for sure..that will detemine which way to look. If you really have 80KB/s...yes..this can be improved a bit after looking at a few things, tweaks.

If you indeed only have 80kb/s, then we have a huge problem here...faulty lines, faulty modem, who knows...but it's a big problem requiring a totally different method to fix. Tweaks ain't gonna help here..you need the phone company if this is the case.

What make/model DSL "modem"? Do you have? Because lately SBC/AT&T is shipping Speedstream appliances..that are combination modem-bridges, as well as routers. They are more like gateway appliances...already doing NAT for you, and the PPPoE authentication. Adding another router to this can cause problems..as you'll end up double NAT'ing. Yes I know you stated you get the same performance either way...but first, lets just get that one straight.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    What the heck you talking about change post? Try refreshing your browser or something, my cap B's are fine on my end.
    I'm not talking about your cap B's. I'm talking about some of the wording.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary335
    YoS, you've confused me.
    I havent even posted yet

Anyway SBC sucks, their service seems to be affected by distance more than any other dsl company.

Nothing really to add to whats been said, 80kbps is pretty crappy, 80K a sec, not too shabby for SBC.

As far as the distance goes, isnt there a tool somewhere on dlsreports or cnet that tells you the distance from the remote terminals and central office?

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    I havent even posted yet

Anyway SBC sucks, their service seems to be affected by distance more than any other dsl company.

Nothing really to add to whats been said, 80kbps is pretty crappy, 80K a sec, not too shabby for SBC.

As far as the distance goes, isnt there a tool somewhere on dlsreports or cnet that tells you the distance from the remote terminals and central office?
    LOL, sorry about that. I saw the letter Y at the begining of his name and thought it was you.

Yeah I've heard of a tool that does that. Don;t recall where it is though.

uhh i did a speed test at Speakeasy and here the results:
    Download Speed: 643 kbps (80.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 316 kbps (39.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

its still consider slow isnt?

Quote Originally Posted by natsukikuga
    uhh i did a speed test at Speakeasy and here the results:
    Download Speed: 643 kbps (80.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 316 kbps (39.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

its still consider slow isnt?
    That's not too bad, but given the fact that your supposed to get 1.5Mbps/368kbps, there's some room for improvement. However, your probably getting only 643 kbps becauseof how far away from the CO you are, so there's probably nothig you can do to improve that speed very much.

heres a TCP/IP settings result from the SG TCP/IP Analyzer
    is anything wrong with it?

oh yeah...i noticed
    "Your TCP Window limits you to: 534.336 kbps (66.792 KBytes/s) @ 500ms"

= _ = you guys think thats causing the problem? if so.. any way to fix that? ~_~

TCP options string = 020405ac0103030001010402
    MTU = 1492
    MTU is optimized for PPoE DSL broadband. If not, consider raising MTU to 1500 for optimal throughput.
    MSS = 1452
    MSS is optimized for PPPoE DSL broadband. If not, consider raising your MTU value.
    Default TCP Receive Window (RWIN) = 33396
    RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 0 bits
    Unscaled TCP Receive Window = 33396

RWIN is a multiple of MSS
    Other RWIN values that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
    511104 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)
    255552 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)
    127776 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)
    63888 (MSS x 44)
    bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):

Your TCP Window limits you to: 1335.84 kbps (166.98 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
    Your TCP Window limits you to: 534.336 kbps (66.792 KBytes/s) @ 500ms
    MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON
    Time to live left = 52 hops
    TTL value is ok.
    Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF
    Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON
    IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 00000000 (0)

No thats not a problem.

80K a sec isnt bad and is probably all you can get at your distance.

yup...its the distance n the CO. no help with that problem... the only solution...you guys know any other DSL companies? ~_~

yup...its the distance n the CO. no help with that problem... the only solution...you guys know any other DSL companies? ~_~
    Yeah I knew that. Usually when you can only achieve a speed that's about half of what your supposed to get, that's the cause. Again, as I've said multiple times, 80Kbps is ok if that's all you can get because of distance. But when the problem is something other than distance you should easily get over 100Kbps on a consistent basis.

As for otherDSl companies, I don't know what area you live in so its hard to name any. But all you have to do is google DSL service and you'll end up with more companies than you know what to do with. and don't be fooled into htinking that a particular company can't serve you because they aren't located in yourarea. Many offer their service by simply using the phone company's equipment. Most simply have a cubicle in the CO, which is where all the tech support occurs. Here's a tip: These companies often have better tech support than your phone company does. They will fix your problems alot quicker than the phone company would.

i'm 17,000 ft from my CO and i'm getting 170 maxxed

Quote Originally Posted by Faction
    i'm 17,000 ft from my CO and i'm getting 170 maxxed
    Which proves my point that he should be getting more than the 80 that he is.

heres a TCP/IP settings result from the SG TCP/IP Analyzer
    is anything wrong with it?
    Try running our Speedguide TCP Optimizer...flip the button to Optimal..adjust the slider for your bandwidth, making sure to also check PPPoE. I'd try both 64240 and 128480, one at a time, apply each one, reboot, benchmark..try the other..apply, reboot, benchmark.

Without knowing what your distance is from the CO, my hunch is that you are on the far end of things. On the average, your transfer speeds are on the norm for being on the far end of things. Yes there are exceptions to the rule that I'm sure we'll be reminded of...there will be a handful of people who obtain max speeds even though they are far from the CO. But there are other factors that aren't being considered for those cases...the diameter of the phone lines varies from area to area, provider to provider, 0.4 or 0.5mm. The thicker..the better. Also how many bridged taps from you..to the CO....the more..the more drop in speeds you see as you go over more distance, increasing attenuation. Also if your have any remote terminals in your area..such as areas of recent fast paced growth in homes, developments, etc. Those remote terminals sort of reset the counter..."boost" if you will.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    I havent even posted yet

I have constantly heard that SBC is the among the worst dsl providers but I guess I'm just really lucky. I have the 6m adsl service from them and I can get a steady 650KB/s which is about 5.2m ish and in the 7 years I have been with them I have only had connection problems twice. I guess it also doesnt hurt that I can throw a rock out of my window and hit thier C/O from there.