Thread: Looking for a fast router

Question Looking for a fast router

I realize there are many features on routers to consider (too many to list here) so I am just generalizing and asking for recommendations for a good all around router that has excellent throughput. I don't mind spending extra on a router if it has faster throughput. I need to have one wired PC and one wireless PC behind it as well as a LAN printer and a VoIP interface. I am wondering if a wired router and a separate wireless AP would improve the throughput on my wired PC.

Thanks in advance!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    For a combo wired/wireless router...the DLink 4300 series is getting fairly high praise. I believe it'll get near 90 megs throughput.

I'm generally a fan of serating the router from the wireless as far as my business network setups go..I'll have a wired router, and an access point or two slung off of that. But for home..why not keep things simple.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    For a combo wired/wireless router...the DLink 4300 series is getting fairly high praise. I believe it'll get near 90 megs throughput.

I'm generally a fan of serating the router from the wireless as far as my business network setups go..I'll have a wired router, and an access point or two slung off of that. But for home..why not keep things simple.
    I was considering getting a wired router and a separate AP for wireless since I rarely use wireless - which wired router do you recommend.

I actually have the D-Link 4300 and although I have also noticed a lot of praise for it on the web, I have had intermittent wired connectivity and even worse wireless connectivity.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Tim Higgins has been building a router performance chart......
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/lans_r...html?chart=119

Worth a peek. You're already somewhat at the top of the list.

Consider building your own Linux based router? Grab an old PC like a midrange P3 ..slap in 256-512 megs...install IPCop or Endian..have yourself a potent router.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Tim Higgins has been building a router performance chart......
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/lans_r...html?chart=119

Worth a peek. You're already somewhat at the top of the list.

Consider building your own Linux based router? Grab an old PC like a midrange P3 ..slap in 256-512 megs...install IPCop or Endian..have yourself a potent router.
    I've been thinking about it and wired throughput is much more important to me so I was thinking that your suggestion to get a wired router and a separate wireless AP makes more sense for my situation. With that in mind, do you have any wired router recommendations (preferably with QoS because I use VoIP and stream video)? Thanks in advance!